Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:47 pm
  #76  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 16,099
Originally Posted by thomasd21
Thanks CWS, so assuming pax aren’t rebooked onto the replacement service, definitely in scope for 261 (delay dependent)?
Given there is no change in time, BA could argue this is not a cancellation but a renumbering of the service. I suppose those who do not wish to travel could get a refund, and argue for compensation but there is an arguable defence available to the airline.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:57 pm
  #77  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,729
Even if deemed a cancellation, doesn’t the similar timing fall within the timeframe allowed without having to pay compensation - so no more than 1 hour before and arrival less then 2 hours from the original schedule? (Assuming less than 7 days notice)
KARFA is online now  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 5:23 am
  #78  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 123
Would anybody be able to share the reason today's (11th March) BA388 (LHR-BRU) was cancelled?
ben1991 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 5:39 am
  #79  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 2,438
Originally Posted by ben1991
Would anybody be able to share the reason today's (11th March) BA388 (LHR-BRU) was cancelled?
just showing as cancelled on expertflyer no reason given
ben1991 likes this.
firstlight is online now  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 5:43 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by firstlight
just showing as cancelled on expertflyer no reason given
Thank you very much for checking! Any idea what there might not be a reason given? I guess I just want to know whether it's worth making an EC261 claim or not...
ben1991 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 5:48 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 2,438
Originally Posted by ben1991
Thank you very much for checking! Any idea what there might not be a reason given? I guess I just want to know whether it's worth making an EC261 claim or not...
i would, you can then judge on the reason. What was the alternative offered?
firstlight is online now  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 6:04 am
  #82  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by firstlight
i would, you can then judge on the reason. What was the alternative offered?
Thanks, I'll pop one in and see what they say.

The only alternative available in MMB was 20.00... so 13 hours later. Which for an overnight trip was totally pointless!
ben1991 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 6:17 am
  #83  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver Card
Posts: 122
Similarly, my flight BA744 LHR-ZRH tomorrow was cancelled yesterday night. The alternative in MMB leaves 1:20 earlier, so unless there is some weather-related extraordinary circumstances thing going on, I'll apply for EC261.

There seem to be a lot of cancelations on the LHR-ZRH route at the moment.
apacuk is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 6:52 am
  #84  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Posts: 3,395
Originally Posted by apacuk
Similarly, my flight BA744 LHR-ZRH tomorrow was cancelled yesterday night. The alternative in MMB leaves 1:20 earlier, so unless there is some weather-related extraordinary circumstances thing going on, I'll apply for EC261.

There seem to be a lot of cancelations on the LHR-ZRH route at the moment.
Not much help from EF, no cancellation code. The only explanation which wouldn't work for you is French ATC. The trains are still a mess due to the ongoing strikes regarding pension reform, so maybe they're still on strike as well. They seem to be rolling from one day to the next.
alex67500 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:01 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Posts: 5,868
Given the amount of cancelations and delays BA has been having every day, a thread should be started to inquire why a flight was on time.😀
sfozrhfco is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:54 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
Posts: 182
BRU-LHR Cancelled - Reason Missing EF?

Hi all,

BRU - LHR cancelled this morning and checked on EF and can see the below:

Comments:
DOBA391/11MAR
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 391 0 SA 11MAR23
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 1131
FLT CANX
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 391 0 SA 11MAR23
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
BRU 1015 SA JCDRI/M YB/G 32N 1:15
HKMLVNOQSG/G
LHR 1030 SA 1:15
COMMENTS-
1.BRU LHR - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.BRU LHR - ARRIVES TERMINAL 5
3.BRU LHR - 9/ NON-SMOKING
4.BRU LHR - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
5.BRU LHR - CO2/PAX* 55.80 KG ECO, 55.80 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
32N C 24 M 144

I'm sure there used to be either a code/reason given for the cancellation. Any ideas why the above may have been cancelled? It is of course possible that it's looking me right in the face and I'm totally missing it!

As always, huge thanks to the collective FT-ers taking the time to answer questions like the above!
flyer_tom is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 3:02 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,471
Originally Posted by ben1991
Would anybody be able to share the reason today's (11th March) BA388 (LHR-BRU) was cancelled?
Originally Posted by apacuk
Similarly, my flight BA744 LHR-ZRH tomorrow was cancelled yesterday night. The alternative in MMB leaves 1:20 earlier, so unless there is some weather-related extraordinary circumstances thing going on, I'll apply for EC261.

There seem to be a lot of cancelations on the LHR-ZRH route at the moment.
Originally Posted by flyer_tom
Hi all,

BRU - LHR cancelled this morning and checked on EF and can see the below:

Comments:
DOBA391/11MAR
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 391 0 SA 11MAR23
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 1131
FLT CANX
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 391 0 SA 11MAR23
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
BRU 1015 SA JCDRI/M YB/G 32N 1:15
HKMLVNOQSG/G
LHR 1030 SA 1:15
COMMENTS-
1.BRU LHR - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.BRU LHR - ARRIVES TERMINAL 5
3.BRU LHR - 9/ NON-SMOKING
4.BRU LHR - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
5.BRU LHR - CO2/PAX* 55.80 KG ECO, 55.80 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
32N C 24 M 144

I'm sure there used to be either a code/reason given for the cancellation. Any ideas why the above may have been cancelled? It is of course possible that it's looking me right in the face and I'm totally missing it!

As always, huge thanks to the collective FT-ers taking the time to answer questions like the above!
The canx reason for all of the above is HDLY with the remark CANX DUE LHR RESOURCE.

In short BA has too few staff at present.
Sigwx is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 3:07 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by Sigwx
The canx reason for all of the above is HDLY with the remark CANX DUE LHR RESOURCE.

In short BA has too few staff at present.
Genuine question, how do you know this and how do I access what you can access?
thomasd21 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 3:13 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,471
Originally Posted by thomasd21
Genuine question, how do you know this and how do I access what you can access?
Being staff, and no you can’t unless you are staff and granted access to that system. BA has reduced openly transmitted information via platform such as EF etc due to the raised profile of EC/EU/UK261 by the press during the pandemic and in the subsequent “rebuild”. I share what I feel will help when able to.
Sigwx is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2023, 3:24 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Being staff, and no you can’t unless you are staff and granted access to that system. BA has reduced openly transmitted information via platform such as EF etc due to the raised profile of EC/EU/UK261 by the press during the pandemic and in the subsequent “rebuild”. I share what I feel will help when able to.
Ah ok, as I suspected. So basically they’ve taken a business decision to try and be more opaque with this info. Makes sense, but it screams of terrible morals. I remember seeing a Watchdog show (or similar) where the Head of Airlines U.K. categorically refuted that the member airlines ever acted dishonestly in relation to 261… he was lying through his teeth
thomasd21 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.