Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA (GGL-GFL); AC (SE)
BA 55 delayed indefinitely this evening. Captain made an announcement in boarding area that the issue is with the water system after the plane had been in a hangar for a few days. Good for the captain but not at all impressed w BA unreliability.
HGOLI likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Because of all the weather delays there is no aircraft to come to GLA tonight before the curfew, the aircraft nightstops.
Thanks so much.

Would this be eligible for an EU claim? I spoke to BA earlier who said it was an Operational delay however I wasn't sure from the EU claims thread whether or not this event (ie weather causing disruption) would be in scope.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dmck355
Thanks so much.

Would this be eligible for an EU claim? I spoke to BA earlier who said it was an Operational delay however I wasn't sure from the EU claims thread whether or not this event (ie weather causing disruption) would be in scope.
Weather is usually a reason to deny compensation, though there are various aspects to this, such as did BA take all reasonable measures to avoid the cancellation? If you suspect they did not take all reasonable measures then you should claim, but it would then require CEDR (and a lot of time) to resolve.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Three more weather cancellations for today
BA502 LIS
BA718 ZRH
BA598 VCE
Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Potentially yes, if you leave more than 1 hour earlier than the time on the flight that was cancelled. See the main EC261 thread regarding the 50% compensation reduction rule and why it does not apply here.
I can see the rules on the noted section, however I can't see anything that pertains to when the 50% reduction may or may not take effect for an earlier departure/arrival due to CX. I must be missing something, but not sure what!

I'l put in a claim after I get back and see what happens. Unbelievable that I have had my trip to and from CDG cancelled.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Long story short, I was present when a family members flights (they're both Blue) from GLA TO LHR tomorrow (BA 1491) was cancelled which meant they'd miss their LHR TO SFO flight (BA 285) as the earlier flight GLA-LHR was zeroed out. The auto-re-booking system and emails worked fine apart from the fact they had been re-booked for Tuesday which was no good as it's a short trip.

So, I immediately put my Flyertalk hat on, looked at EF for options and advised them of 2 possible combinations for tomorrow. EI from EDI-DUB-SFO or EDI-LHR-SFO on the 2nd SFO service.

Once they got through the EI option was still available but apparently due to some technical glitch on the EI end the 2nd option was then booked much to their satisfaction.

All in all the whole re-booking process took about 50 minutes from start to finish including the 20 odd minutes on hold to get through. The BA agent was excellent, patient, friendly and very helpful as I heard the whole call. I could just tell from experience that this was one experienced agent and a credit to BA.

Just thought I'd post a good outcome in the circumstances as I am sure many people are impacted by the weather cancellations etc and the ensuing mini chaos that can bring with out of place aircraft/crews etc. Good luck to everyone affected.

Pete
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don't wish to knock your comments, and I take you at your word that the agent may have been good, but that's 30 minutes for them to sort it out - in an example where you had done half the work and presented them with the solution. When we as customers see the appalling state of BA IT, we must remember that those on the other end of the phone are similarly struggling with the poor IT too. And yes I have been there before myself where I gave the agent the answer to the rebook problem and it takes an inordinate amount of time for them to actually confirm it.
Kgmm77 and PETER01 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 5:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't wish to knock your comments, and I take you at your word that the agent may have been good, but that's 30 minutes for them to sort it out - in an example where you had done half the work and presented them with the solution. When we as customers see the appalling state of BA IT, we must remember that those on the other end of the phone are similarly struggling with the poor IT too. And yes I have been there before myself where I gave the agent the answer to the rebook problem and it takes an inordinate amount of time for them to actually confirm it.
I agree, it shouldn't take that long and if they had been going for a week or 2 then one day wouldn't have made a difference and I was lucky to help them with sorting out options before calling, not that there were that many and we were on the phone ASAP.

Apologies there, in my first post above I should have added the EI rebooking part of the call took about 15 minutes roughly on top of the 20 odd minutes to get through before he came back to say due to a "system error" on the EI end of things that option was no longer available, that's the phrase he used.

I'm sure the agent must be frustrated at the IT system he has to work with as he said a few times he was just waiting on his screen to refresh etc whilst keeping my family member updated. Heavan help non FTr's without EF etc so thank goodness for this board and all that's posted here re advice on re-bookings etc.

In any case they're both happy and what might have been a cancelled honeymoon is now a confirmed mini honeymoon even though I had to then drive from the west coast to EDI airport instead of GLA!
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
I reported live from BA440 LHR to AMS ​​​​in another thread - it should have departed at 16:05 today. We lost power during the storm and just before push back due to a suspected lightning strike and had to wait for a full engineering check to confirm what had happened - turns out it (probably?) wasn't a lightning strike, but the delay was over 3 hours regardless. The return BA441 (which I was also on) was delayed by more than 3 hours as well.

Could someone tell me what official reason was recorded for both delays, please?
Old Jun 11, 2023, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Short notice cancellations for Monday 12 June- can assume due to equipment or crew shortage:

BA1434 EDI
BA640 ATH
BA834 DUB
BA730 GVA
BA314 CDG
BA1418 BHD
BA820 CPH
BA356 NCE
BA442 AMS
BA322 CDG
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Short notice cancellations for Monday 12 June- can assume due to equipment or crew shortage:

BA1434 EDI
BA640 ATH
BA834 DUB
BA730 GVA
BA314 CDG
BA1418 BHD
BA820 CPH
BA356 NCE
BA442 AMS
BA322 CDG
The number of last minute cancellations is becoming outrageous. BA should know how many flights it can operate with its current fleet well in advance, but it seems theyre hoping for a miracle and then leering customers down at the last second.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think tbf some of those may be knock on cancellations caused by the weather disruption around London on Sunday evening.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 2:07 am

BA2845 is CTA to LGW - always best to put that detail in since not everyone has memorised the timetable.

The taxi ride will be paid, with a delay that late then public transport becomes unviable. It looks like you're not in scope for delay compensation since it arrived about 02:40 (what matters is the time the doors opened and you best make your own note of that) against a scheduled arrival of 00:25 - you need a 3 hour delay. So the reasons for the delay are academic, but it seems the Avon aircraft just picked up delay after delay. It was an hour late leaving AYT, then more than 2 hours late leaving LGW for CTA. So a rotational delay.
BA has agreed the claim for taxi and snacks during the wait from check in. Claim made directly to BA On 8/6/23 agreed 12/6/23
Very pleased with the response and speed

I didn't claim delay compensation, it was less than 3 hours delay
Old Jun 12, 2023, 3:27 am

BA1434 EDI. TECY
BA640 ATH. DAMN
BA834 DUB. TECY
BA730 GVA. DAMN
BA314 CDG. TECY
BA1418 BHD. TECY
BA820 CPH. TECY
BA356 NCE. DAMN
BA442 AMS. TECY
BA322 CDG. DAMN
Old Jun 12, 2023, 3:29 am

CANCELLED AGAIN!!! No flights showing for today

Theyve just cancelled BA 309 cdg to lhr. Booked me for tomorrow. I must get home today. On hold on silver line. No options showing for today on the offered flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.