Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Jun 11, 2023, 10:29 am

Does anyone know the reason for the cancellation? May as well find out I guess
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Does anyone know the reason for the cancellation? May as well find out I guess
It's likely to be one of the 6 to 12 short haul cancellations made daily due to a shortage of aircraft frames sufficient to meet the full schedule.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Some more cancellations
BA462 MAD
BA824 DUB
And like the previous post on this issue, I suspect weather related. There are quite a few cancellations by other airlines too such as Aer Lingus, the Lufthansa Group and United.
Grumpyflyer likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, and as mentioned in the EC261 thread, it's best to make a careful note of exactly when the doors open and the first passenger invited to leave. More information in the EC261 thread.
So, they have boarded us, but apparently there are restrictions at LGW due to weather, so we are on the ground for TWO HOURS until this lifts.

However, interestingly the captain gave the following reasons for delay:

1) Crew sickness meant the crew were called in from Home Standby, leading to a 3 hour delay.

2) the flight was further delayed by thunderstorm restrictions at LGW, meaning a then 4 hour delay.

So, what’s it to be? Crew sickness or Thunderstorms? I bet I know what one BA will say is the reason. Any comeback from this for EU261?
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Crew sickness remains OK for EC261 delay compensation, but weather is generally a reason for not paying up (and you really wouldn't want to give it a go either from the reports I'm seeing). I think it will be a case of seeing what happens time wise, but I suspect it may not look good for compensation unless you end up being 5 hours late. There is a side argument though: if the crew had been available for an on-time departure, would that have avoided the storm? If so BA are on the hook, but you better do some screenshots of LGW arrivals, and in particular any other airline running the same route.
woobl likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: BA EXECUTIVE CLUB
Apologies if this isn’t the correct place/thread. My daughters LGW flight BA2037 10:40 departure was cancelled this morning at 04:30.
Can anyone tell me why? She was rebooked to BA2039 departing 14:30 ( she was one of the lucky ones from what I gather) which was then delayed until 16:45 (a late passenger then weather).
Not sure if this is eligible for compensation. It’s an AVIOS flight and unsure if this affects our position but am unsure whether she’ll need to pay additional for her hotel transfers. Thank you
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:45 am
Original Poster

That's the service to MCO. It's always helpful to put the route destination since not everyone can remember all the flight numbers, though that one I did know. The reason for the initial cancellation is a shortage of aircraft. Whether EC261 is due will relate to the time of arrival, and that depends on the details. But if she is more than 2 hours late she should get cancellation compensation - see the EC261 thread for details. The transfer cost - some companies will swallow that and do the transfer without extra cost, but if there is an extra cost then one should claim it from BA. It's a slightly grey area but generally BA will pay this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The 2039 didn’t go out full som in guessing all 2037 customers were accommodated?
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:49 am

It's likely to be one of the 6 to 12 short haul cancellations made daily due to a shortage of aircraft frames sufficient to meet the full schedule.
Gicen that I had a choice of flights to move to. And I chose this one. Am I able to claim EC261. Original arrival time around 1630, now arriving around 4 hours earlier.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Crew sickness remains OK for EC261 delay compensation, but weather is generally a reason for not paying up (and you really wouldn't want to give it a go either from the reports I'm seeing). I think it will be a case of seeing what happens time wise, but I suspect it may not look good for compensation unless you end up being 5 hours late. There is a side argument though: if the crew had been available for an on-time departure, would that have avoided the storm? If so BA are on the hook, but you better do some screenshots of LGW arrivals, and in particular any other airline running the same route.
Trouble is I think BA were the only airline to run the LGW - SZG - LGW today…
Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA EXECUTIVE CLUB
We know of some that were booked via Chicago and possibly Texas, all young people headed out for the Disney CEP so info coming through on their group chats has been sketchy! They’re due for accommodation check in at 9 am tomorrow so were a bit stressed!
Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Gicen that I had a choice of flights to move to. And I chose this one. Am I able to claim EC261. Original arrival time around 1630, now arriving around 4 hours earlier.
Potentially yes, if you leave more than 1 hour earlier than the time on the flight that was cancelled. See the main EC261 thread regarding the 50% compensation reduction rule and why it does not apply here.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:46 pm

BA8721 Glasgow to London City on 12 June has been cancelled. Anyone know the reason for the cancellation?
Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

An unusually late longhaul cancellation, BA203 to BOS, over at gate C61. They appear to have run the gate open on time, for a 17:20 departure on a 78X but I don't think they were able to get an aircraft to the gate, so I imagine this is weather - ish. But there may be more complexities there (crew out of hours?). Cancelled at 19:15.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by dmck355
BA8721 Glasgow to London City on 12 June has been cancelled. Anyone know the reason for the cancellation?
Because of all the weather delays there is no aircraft to come to GLA tonight before the curfew, the aircraft nightstops.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.