Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kidmystic80
I arrived at Oslo airport this morning for a QF classic rewards flight to London (flying on BA). I had made a date change to the flight. This was confirmed verbally by a Qantas agent on the phone, and updated in my Qantas online profile. When I arrived at the airport, I was informed that the new ticket had not actually been issued. Qantas was unable to reissue the ticket in time, and I missed the flight. Instead of leaving OSL at 08:10, I am now flying at 17:30, and have missed meetings in London.
This is one for the EC261 thread. It's usually BA that does this, but on this occasion it's QF. It gets a bit messy since BA is the operating airline, but QF, in a travel agency role, screwed up the ticketing. I think the original drafters of EC261 would expect BA to pay you, and for BA then to recover compensation from QF, which is something that has never happened. If you took QF to court over this their defence would be "we didn't operate an aircraft in scope for EC261" and I suspect that would be a successful line. What I would do is hold QF to this anyway, and ask them to pay you EC261 for the IDB, then if they decline we can have a look at what they said.
kidmystic80 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by woobl
Well, its just hit 2hrs55m, so 3hrs isnt too far of a stretch.
I might have spoken too soon - it's now delayed by 4hr 23m...!

From when does one start a claim? Is it from the moment they open the doors at the destination gate?
Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I might have spoken too soon - it's now delayed by 4hr 23m...!

From when does one start a claim? Is it from the moment they open the doors at the destination gate?
Yes, and as mentioned in the EC261 thread, it's best to make a careful note of exactly when the doors open and the first passenger invited to leave. More information in the EC261 thread.
woobl likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Does anyone know why BA2619 SZG-LGW has a delay of 2hr40m?
Airborne now, I think the delay will reduce.
woobl likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is one for the EC261 thread. It's usually BA that does this, but on this occasion it's QF. It gets a bit messy since BA is the operating airline, but QF, in a travel agency role, screwed up the ticketing. I think the original drafters of EC261 would expect BA to pay you, and for BA then to recover compensation from QF, which is something that has never happened. If you took QF to court over this their defence would be "we didn't operate an aircraft in scope for EC261" and I suspect that would be a successful line. What I would do is hold QF to this anyway, and ask them to pay you EC261 for the IDB, then if they decline we can have a look at what they said.
Many thanks for this - very helpful. This EU website seems to make it clear that flights departing the EU are in scope, regardless of who is operating the flight. However, QF may choose to argue differently, as you say.

Worth a shot
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC
They have just cancelled our flight more than 3 hours after departure time. Two of us ( silver) have been rebooked onto tomorrow.
Two of d us (different booking no status) have been offered a refund

what are our options? If we rebook tonight with a different airline do we lose any rights to compensation?

Last edited by Karen Jackson; Jun 11, 2023 at 12:16 pm
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Karen Jackson
They have just cancelled our flight 2 hours after departure time. Two of us ( silver) have been rebooked onto tomorrow.
Two of d us (different booking no status) have been offered a refund

what are our options? If we rebook tonight with a different airline do we lose any rights to compensation?
If you want to go on the easyJet flight, you need to first ask BA to put you on it, as a same day replacement. They will refuse, but it's important to ask. You can then book on easyJet and reclaim it later. You must not, in any circumstances, accept a replacement service or a refund since these are alternative options as part of EC261. The other approach, if going tomorrow is OK, is to call BA and ask them to find another route to AYT with another IATA airline (such as Lufthansa or KLM), for the 4 of you, or indeed BA if there is space.

You want the EC261 thread for that aspect and the disruption thread for further information:
Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Airborne now, I think the delay will reduce.
not sure where they are flying via with this flight length..!

Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC
If you want to go on the easyJet flight, you need to first ask BA to put you on it, as a same day replacement. They will refuse, but it's important to ask. You can then book on easyJet and reclaim it later. You must not, in any circumstances, accept a replacement service or a refund since these are alternative options as part of EC261. The other approach, if going tomorrow is OK, is to call BA and ask them to find another route to AYT with another IATA airline (such as Lufthansa or KLM), for the 4 of you, or indeed BA if there is space.

You want the EC261 thread for that aspect and the disruption thread for further information:
Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know

thank you - we don't want to accept the BA flight tomorrow as our sons can't get on it. We are travelling as a group but they are travelling home earlier so are on a seperate booking

There's a free bird airlines flight at 10pm which has spaces
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Karen Jackson

There's a free bird airlines flight at 10pm which has spaces
Just to reiterate, it's important that you have a conversation with BA to see if they can arrange a same day replacement. If they can't, but you can, then you can reclaim the cost, it may need to go to MCOL or CEDR, but unless you have given BA a chance to rebook it they may play hardball with this. Again, do not accept a refund at this point. You may also want to protect the return flights, in case BA cancels them, but that can wait until tomorrow / day after.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:53 am

BA319 CDGH-LHR Cancelled tomorrow June 12??

Anyone know what has happened? Am I again awaiting BA to offer me something else????
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:54 am
Original Poster

EDIT: Thunderstorms are expected this afternoon / evening, perhaps with hail. This typically has a bad impact on BA operations, particularly if the approaches to LHR are impacted.
Following on from this, the following flights are cancelled, and I suspect it will be down as weather (so no compensation payable):

BA1406 MAN
BA822 CPH
BA1426 BHD
BA1496 GLA
BA1456 EDI
BA1348 JER
BA596 VCE
BA432 AMS
BA786 ARN
BA916 FRA
BA352 NCE
BA544 BLQ
That's in addition to the overnight cancellations already posted.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 11, 2023 at 10:06 am
Old Jun 11, 2023, 10:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Regardless of why it happened if you want to get yourself to LHR in a reasonable timeframe I would suggest you call BA and get yourself on the 323 which departs 2 hours later. Your flight and the last flight have both been cancelled. This is assuming your app doesn't already show you rebooked on that service.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 10:09 am

On the website, it offered me a change of flight - I went on and actually booked my self onto the 12.05. Funny this, because I was regretting booking the later flight and now I have the one I wanted! So all good.

I am assuming there is no EC261 here.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 10:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I am assuming there is no EC261 here.
That depends on the reason for the cancellation. If it's a qualifying EC261 event, you are entitled to compensation if you arrive early as well as late.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.