Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Jun 10, 2023, 2:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, LH M&M SEN, airbaltic Executive, Radisson VIP
What are the eu261 compensation success chances / rates with these „lack of crew / aircraft“ short notice cancellations? I‘d claim that BA should have spare planes available at the hub. It looks like our aircraft which was supposed to operate BA756 to Basel is now off to Brussels instead…
Old Jun 10, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by florens
What are the eu261 compensation success chances / rates with these „lack of crew / aircraft“ short notice cancellations? I‘d claim that BA should have spare planes available at the hub. It looks like our aircraft which was supposed to operate BA756 to Basel is now off to Brussels instead…
I anticipate BA will probably pay up these claims without too much difficulty, albeit not necessarily as quickly as would be ideal.

We really need far more of the affected passengers to claim, in order for BA to take the right decisions here - chartering aircraft where necessary or even (dare I say it) not cutting things to the bone.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 2:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, LH M&M SEN, airbaltic Executive, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by flarmip
I anticipate BA will probably pay up these claims without too much difficulty, albeit not necessarily as quickly as would be ideal.

We really need far more of the affected passengers to claim, in order for BA to take the right decisions here - chartering aircraft where necessary or even (dare I say it) not cutting things to the bone.
I‘ll definitely submit a claim tonight and report back!
Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:25 am

Ba2845 7/6/23

Could someone check the reason for the delayed takeoff for BA 2845 on 7 June 2023 as I am looking for compensation for the taxi ride on arrival at 3am.

I saw the turnaround plane arrive at 23.09 and we took off at 00.25 more than 2 hours after schedule.

For some reason flightradar described my flight as taking 3.05 hours, but at the time of landing the delay was less than 3 hours.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Patricia Prendergast
Could someone check the reason for the delayed takeoff for BA 2845 on 7 June 2023 as I am looking for compensation for the taxi ride on arrival at 3am.
BA2845 is CTA to LGW - always best to put that detail in since not everyone has memorised the timetable.

The taxi ride will be paid, with a delay that late then public transport becomes unviable. It looks like you're not in scope for delay compensation since it arrived about 02:40 (what matters is the time the doors opened and you best make your own note of that) against a scheduled arrival of 00:25 - you need a 3 hour delay. So the reasons for the delay are academic, but it seems the Avon aircraft just picked up delay after delay. It was an hour late leaving AYT, then more than 2 hours late leaving LGW for CTA. So a rotational delay.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Today's short notice cancellations (Sunday 11 June).

BA179 JFK
BA486 BCN
BA1452 EDI
BA464 MAD
BA488 PMI
BA438 AMS
BA434 GVA

EDIT: Thunderstorms are expected this afternoon / evening, perhaps with hail. This typically has a bad impact on BA operations, particularly if the approaches to LHR are impacted.
florens and thomasd21 like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 11, 2023 at 5:17 am
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Does anyone know why BA2619 SZG-LGW has a delay of 2hr40m?
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woobl
Does anyone know why BA2619 SZG-LGW has a delay of 2hr40m?
Looks like they brought GATN from LHR to LGW, and they are now getting a replacement crew together for LGW-SZG.
woobl likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Looks like they brought GATN from LHR to LGW, and they are now getting a replacement crew together for LGW-SZG.
Thanks!

Not that I think it will in terms of delay, but is that reason worthy of compensation?
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
BA2036 MCO-LGW cancelled

Can someone tell me the reason why this flight got cancelled? My brother and his wife impacted and looking into some options.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woobl
Not that I think it will in terms of delay, but is that reason worthy of compensation?
Yes it would need to exceed 3 hours, but if that happens BA would be on the hook for compensation if my theory is correct.
woobl likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes it would need to exceed 3 hours, but if that happens BA would be on the hook for compensation if my theory is correct.
Well, it’s just hit 2hrs55m, so 3hrs isn’t too far of a stretch.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Krisz
Can someone tell me the reason why this flight got cancelled? My brother and his wife impacted and looking into some options.
Don’t know reason for cancellation sorry but had an MCO-LGW cancelled myself a few weeks back, we were put on later flight but met someone at the airport who managed to convince BA to switch his family to TPA-LGW given the circumstances, just wanted to add for awareness in case of any use, I guess any FL-LON pair could be requested. Also MCO lounge was rammed so we ate at the beach house restaurant and put in a claim, BA paid without fuss, however YMMV.

Hope they get home safe!
Old Jun 11, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Currently waiting for BA2864 LGW-Antalya. Due to depart at 12.45, called to gate but just had an announcement that 'the crew are on the way but not yet on site'. We would have stayed in the lounge had we known....
Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:30 am

Qantas - failure to issue ticket (BA flight)

Hi folks,

Unsure if this is the right place to post this. I've been pointed here in a reply to a post I made on the QF section of this site. Please feel free to direct me elsewhere.

I arrived at Oslo airport this morning for a QF classic rewards flight to London (flying on BA). I had made a date change to the flight. This was confirmed verbally by a Qantas agent on the phone, and updated in my Qantas online profile. When I arrived at the airport, I was informed that the new ticket had not actually been issued. Qantas was unable to reissue the ticket in time, and I missed the flight. Instead of leaving OSL at 08:10, I am now flying at 17:30, and have missed meetings in London.

It seems like I may be eligible for compensation under EU261. Any thoughts from the experts here?

Much appreciated in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.