Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Jun 9, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Book yourself, nominally up to the value of €200 but respect average prices available. Get a receipt and claim back afterwards. You can also claim meals but not alcohol, plus reasonable transport costs.
ffgap likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 7:47 am

Once again, thanks everyone. BA is not my primary airline. This is the second or third time I came to this subforum when I ran into BA issues and you guys have given superb advice every time!!
Old Jun 9, 2023, 7:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ffgap
Looks good except BP say e-ticket - no coupon. Not to worry, right?
That statement has been there for about 20 years, but for some reason 3 people have asked about this separately in the last month! Nothing to worry about, the long version is "This is an e-ticket so there is no paper coupon, therefore dear BA gate agent, don't bother asking for this paper coupon for reconciliation".
Old Jun 9, 2023, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC
A heads up BA is using technical issues as an excuse on this. It could be that some planes are down, but dont let that put you off from claiming compensation!
ffgap likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Anything going on in LCY today? I'm flying into LCY with KL. Was supposed to fly back to FRA on BA8736 and BA just cancelled, not mentioning a reason.

Currently waiting at emigration in AMS and noticing on the board that BA has cancelled AMS-LCY as well.

The rebooking link in the cancellation mail gives an error.

My AGP to LCY flight was cancelled today. I too had a problem with the cancellation email not allowing me to confirm the alternative option. So I had no other way but to call up BA. I got through to their Indian call centre. The first agent did not know the rules and when I asked her for supervisor, because what she was telling me was not correct, she got quite shirty.....saying that the supervisor would only say the same as she was saying (that I could only get a free move to the flight that had been specified on the email......change to any other flight would have a cost implication). A few minutes later and she came back to say that she could make the change that I was asking for!!! She never admitted that she was wrong, nor apologised. I have nothing against Indian call centres (I have used Indian service centres for outsourcing work in my business world for many years), but they have to be trained in all the details.....reminds me that the team in Warrington and Newcastle are usually excellent (once you get through!)
Old Jun 9, 2023, 2:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JSM8
saying that the supervisor would only say the same as she was saying (that I could only get a free move to the flight that had been specified on the email......change to any other flight would have a cost implication)
Maddening isn't it? Just very poor training, half of the people on this forum - who have never been trained by BA - would get the right answer. I do wish occasionally someone says "Oh, ok then, I think that's wrong, but let me pay the extra for changing my flight and I'll reclaim it". At which point someone is going to listen to the tape and realise. Or even better "Ah, that fare difference means that easyJet is 5 cheaper, so to minimise BA's costs I will use them instead of BA and reclaim it".
Old Jun 9, 2023, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Thanks. May I ask two last follow-ups. Sry, still relatively new to this.

1.) I got the call center to rebook me on LHR-STR on June 10. No confirmatiom mail. But could do OLCI with the original booking code. Looks good except BP say e-ticket - no coupon. Not to worry, right?
This isn't an issue; it's just a message belonging to times past to tell the gate agent "this passenger is using an e-ticket, therefore there is no flight coupon for you to lift".
2.) More critically, how do I go about the hotel. Do I just book one myself and ask for a refund later?
Yes, try to stay under about 200, or if you can't, keep evidence that you booked the cheapest viable option. Reasonable meals (but not alcohol) can be claimed for too.
ffgap likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA351 VLC-LHR today 10th of June

Got an email about 3 1/2 hours before departure that this flight was cancelled. Presumably something happened to the outbound, LHR-VLC, flight.

Would anyone on here have any visibility on the reason for the cancellation?

We're now flying out tomorrow morning at sparrow fart on LH via Frankfurt.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 8:34 am
Original Poster

This is the thread with all the details (see last few dozen posts), but the short version is shortage of equipment:
FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 editionl

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 10, 2023 at 1:00 pm Reason: circular reference
Old Jun 10, 2023, 8:53 am

I thought that but found it odd that it was only cancelled at about the time the inbound flight would have left London.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrelux
I thought that but found it odd that it was only cancelled at about the time the inbound flight would have left London.
It was one of 5 cancellations at 12:46 hrs today, covering ABZ, VLC, FRA, BCN and PVK, but it's the same process - insufficient equipment or crew = cancellation. I suspect it's also connected with many delays on inbound services, perhaps caused by weather, which then inhibited the rotation.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by andrelux
Presumably something happened to the outbound, LHR-VLC, flight.
There's nothing wrong with the aircraft that was scheduled to do this flight. It's flying to Bastia instead. It's in the air now.

Someone's decided Bastia is more important than Valencia today!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Schind
Bastia is once a week only, on a Saturday. Not a very convenient one to can.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Schind
There's nothing wrong with the aircraft that was scheduled to do this flight. It's flying to Bastia instead. It's in the air now.

bas Bastia and Viva Valencia is all I want to say to that
Old Jun 10, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
My rents EDI-PMI was delayed 4 hours as it seems the plane did an extra LCY-NCE rotation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.