Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old May 26, 2023, 11:47 pm
  #691  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London
Programs: Qantas; Virgin Australia; Le Club Accor; Marriott
Posts: 119
Morning,

Can you someone assist with the cancellation reason for BA524 - 27/05/23.

Can't seem to see a reason on Expert Flyer.

Thanks
Waz22 is offline  
Old May 26, 2023, 11:59 pm
  #692  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 765
Originally Posted by just_starting
Thanks, annoyingly the plane was only a couple minutes late in the end, but apparently got delayed massively because they had to offload electric wheelchairs (as per the pilot). I'll claim my hotel/taxi plus compensation and see what happens, but I guess this is likely going to have to go to CEDR or MCOL. Is there any kind of proof I can acquire at this point, other than Flightradar screenshots? As you say it's likely going to be a long process, and a forum message from a BA insider likely won't cut it...
If you decide to go down the CEDR route, the burden of proof sits with the airline. All you will need is a simple few statements of fact to make your case.
Id suggest you make some notes now of timings and anything you were told by the crew on board.
Good luck with your claim.
zanderblue is offline  
Old May 27, 2023, 12:25 am
  #693  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,461
Originally Posted by Waz22
Morning,

Can you someone assist with the cancellation reason for BA524 - 27/05/23.

Can't seem to see a reason on Expert Flyer.

Thanks
A shortage of flight crew. FCRY.
Sigwx is offline  
Old May 27, 2023, 12:41 am
  #694  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,461
Originally Posted by just_starting
Thanks, annoyingly the plane was only a couple minutes late in the end, but apparently got delayed massively because they had to offload electric wheelchairs (as per the pilot). I'll claim my hotel/taxi plus compensation and see what happens, but I guess this is likely going to have to go to CEDR or MCOL. Is there any kind of proof I can acquire at this point, other than Flightradar screenshots? As you say it's likely going to be a long process, and a forum message from a BA insider likely won't cut it...
The 946 was carrying 27 minutes of delay from the earlier rotation to MAN. This was topped off with 36 minutes due to PRM issues as youve mentioned. With a planned flight time of 60 minutes and a night jet ban commencing at 2129z, the aircraft had to be airborn no later than 2030z. Having departed at 2008z (1hr 3mins late) it was obviously unable to achieve wheels off by 2030z and so returned to stand at 2030z. The flight crew where newly on duty and not delayed by being part of the MAN rotation crew.

Other than this and what the pilots have said, it is as the previous poster has mentioned. The burden is on the airline to prove it took all reasonable measures. The cancellation code is APRN which in itself means the claim will be denied apart from duty of care, hence the CEDR or MCOL route.

Given they had fresh flight crew, and no doubt a good few airport standby CC, why did BA not allocate a different LHR night stopping aircraft to get you away? The obvious answer to that is without the PRM delay, the 27 mins still would have seen you depart a bit behind, but conformably make the jet ban. BA will have to demonstrate the PRM issue was totally out of the blue Id guess.

There isn't any other evidence needed as youve already made a note of the timings and what the flight crew have said.
zanderblue likes this.
Sigwx is offline  
Old May 27, 2023, 1:22 am
  #695  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Posts: 747
May I ask the cancellation reason for BA1370, LHR MAN, 27 May 2023 please?
Expert Flyer just has "cancelled" - I'm assuming it's likely a follow on as part of the IT outage.
rjn21 is offline  
Old May 27, 2023, 1:58 am
  #696  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hampshire (LHR)
Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
Posts: 446
Good Morning, BA1469 INV-LHR this morning has been cancelled, Could someone advise the reason for this cancellation? Thank you,
G-BPED is offline  
Old May 27, 2023, 2:29 am
  #697  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 64,883
Originally Posted by G-BPED
Good Morning, BA1469 INV-LHR this morning has been cancelled, Could someone advise the reason for this cancellation? Thank you,
That's in the irrop thread: knock on impact of the IT failure. Ditto the MAN one and a few others listed in the other thread.
G-BPED likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old May 27, 2023, 2:46 am
  #698  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hampshire (LHR)
Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
Posts: 446
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's in the irrop thread: knock on impact of the IT failure. Ditto the MAN one and a few others listed in the other thread.
Thank you C-W-S I'll check on there. The operating aircraft was G-TTOE which appears to have gone to VCE instead!
G-BPED is offline  
Old May 27, 2023, 3:28 am
  #699  
KNW
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 8
BA 879 from WAW to LHR cancelled this morning which also meant a cancellation and rebooking of my BA 193 flight to DFW. Does anyone know the reason for 879 cancellation?

Last edited by KNW; May 27, 2023 at 5:30 am
KNW is offline  
Old May 27, 2023, 3:31 am
  #700  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: From ORK, live LCY
Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Posts: 14,386
Originally Posted by zanderblue
If you decide to go down the CEDR route, the burden of proof sits with the airline.
The same is true if you claim through MCOL.
stifle is offline  
Old May 27, 2023, 3:41 am
  #701  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 64,883
Originally Posted by G-BPED
Thank you C-W-S I'll check on there. The operating aircraft was G-TTOE which appears to have gone to VCE instead!
That aircraft's movements is, I suspect, not really related. It's more that with crew still out of place from the IT meltdown then about half a dozen flights had to go given the workforce available, this time including INV. ORD would be equipment related though.
G-BPED likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old May 27, 2023, 4:50 am
  #702  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LON
Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Posts: 1,697
Only a minor issue but any ideas on today's BA2702 (LGW-TFS) .. inbound is on the way a bit late but due in around 1310 so I'd expect and ETD for the flight of ~ 1400 but it says 1511 so nearly 2 hrs late ?

If it was an atc delay for the flight it normally shows delayed arrival but on time departure .. so can't work this one out ... Crew coming off another aircraft? ( Though I guess Tenerife round trip would be a full days work?)
EvilDoctorK is online now  
Old May 27, 2023, 6:00 am
  #703  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Posts: 790
BA2660 LGW-DLM 27th May Cancelled

I was literally just leaving home for the airport and received a notification in the app that BA2660 LGW-DLM is cancelled.

Is anybody able to see the reason why, please?
Speedbird676 is offline  
Old May 27, 2023, 6:04 am
  #704  
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 6
Hi folks, long time listener first time caller I was on BA1469 this morning INV-LHR, which was cancelled. I assume this is because BA1468 (LHR-INV) was cancelled. I understand the burden of proof for UK261 falls on the carrier, however is there any way I can get documentation as to the specific reason for the cancellation and if its eligible for compensation? The BA desk at INV couldnt give me an answer, and BA phone support refused to give me an answer, after 2 hours on hold to get through. Stellar customer service.


To say this has been a frustrating experience would be an understatement. Most accommodations in INV are booked because of the bank holiday, and BA showed no willingness whatsoever in helping to get me accommodation until the replacement flight tomorrow morning.

So yeah, just trying to gather any info I need to make a claim while its still within ~24h of the original flight. Any help would be genuinely appreciated.
tylphe is offline  
Old May 27, 2023, 6:12 am
  #705  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 1,599
Havent looked but 99.9% sure cancellation is related to IT outage thats been wreaking havoc last few days. You can book your own hotel, doing your best to keep it close to 200 plus transportation costs within reason. Hotel and transport are covered under duty of care, independent of the UK261 comp.
RichieMc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.