Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
BA662 just been canx for tomorrow. Not ideal, Iíve rebooked to the later LCA via the app but I canít check in as the rebook hasnít been ticketed (is this not automatic if done via the app?)

No doubt weíll be separated for the flight now, as weíd snagged 1A and C. Infuriating.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PAL62V
So the AA flight my wife has been assigned goes into JFK. She has been told by BA on the phone that 189 is fully booked. She has a car to collect at EWR. BA have assured her she can claim back the cost of the taxi from JFK to EWR.

From experience on here that sounds right. Am I correct in this?
Claiming back the taxi? Yes that would normally be OK.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by under2100
Hello, I was supposed to be on BA419 Today 28 March, I got a cancellation email already at 1350 (for a 2015 departure), which I did not notice until I was at the train station about to go to the airport. I guess it is the return journey of the cancelled BA418 that was asked about above - does this qualify for EU261 then, ground staff shortage caused the outbound to be cancelled ? Or is there some other reason for the 419 being cancelled? Thank you for your help.
That should be OK for EC261 given it was Handling staff shortage, the rotation doesn't make a difference here.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That should be OK for EC261 given it was Handling staff shortage, the rotation doesn't make a difference here.
Thanks for the confirmation!
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Hi,
Does someone have any info on BA365 LYS-LHR this morning? It landed 3h30mn late, and is marked as ZO. Passengers were boarded and then offloaded because of a smell in the plane.
Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:30 pm

Programs: GGL/GFL
Assistance Please

Can anyone confirm why BA 632 LHR-ATH on 28 March was cancelled?

EF has the following:
Comments:
DOBA632/28MAR
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 632 -1 TU 28MAR23
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 0956
FLT CANX
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 632 -1 TU 28MAR23
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1325 TU JCDRI/M YB/G 32A 3:45
HKMLVNOQSGX/G
ATH 1910 TU 3:45
COMMENTS-
1.LHR ATH - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LHR ATH - DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
3.LHR ATH - 9/ NON-SMOKING
4.LHR ATH - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
5.LHR ATH - CO2/PAX* 203.05 KG ECO, 203.05 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
32A C 24 M 144
>
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by studio76
Assistance Please

Can anyone confirm why BA 632 LHR-ATH on 28 March was cancelled?

EF has the following:
Comments:
DOBA632/28MAR
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 632 -1 TU 28MAR23
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 0956
FLT CANX
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 632 -1 TU 28MAR23
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1325 TU JCDRI/M YB/G 32A 3:45
HKMLVNOQSGX/G
ATH 1910 TU 3:45
COMMENTS-
1.LHR ATH - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LHR ATH - DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
3.LHR ATH - 9/ NON-SMOKING
4.LHR ATH - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
5.LHR ATH - CO2/PAX* 203.05 KG ECO, 203.05 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
32A C 24 M 144
>
There were a number of cancellations yesterday due to a shortage of ground/ramp staff and other than French destinations being allocated a INDN code with reference to the French Notam F0517/23, the majority of short haul canx yesterday had the code HDLY.

I suspect the 632 was indeed HDLY however there is a twist. It would appear an operator error has occurred because the remarks state;
FLT CANX INDN NOTAM F0517/23
This is curious as that remark is attributed to the French destination cancellations yesterday. In fact the NOTAM they reference is also stated in some of the HDLY cancellations in the remarks on those flights, so it seems some fast typing was occurring as the flights were cancelled.

the body of the referenced NOTAM states;
​​​​​​​(F0517/23 NOTAMN

Q) LFXX/QAFXX/IV/NBO/E /000/999/4412N00040E460

A) LFBB LFEE LFFF LFMM LFRR B) 2303280400 C) 2303292200

E) DUE TO AN INTER-PROFESSIONAL SOCIAL MOVEMENT AFFECTING ALL AREAS

OF

ACTIVITY, MAJOR DISRUPTIONS ARE EXPECTED IN DSNA ATC CENTERS (ACCS,

APP, TOWER) IN FRANCE AND OVERSEAS DEPARTMENTS.

RMK 1: AIRLINE OPERATORS ARE REQUIRED TO REDUCE THEIR FLIGHT SCHEDULE FOR THE DAYS OF MARCH 28, 2023 AND MARCH 29, 2023, FROM 04H00 UTC TO 21H59 UTC, BY 20 PERCENT OF MOVEMENTS INITIALLY SCHEDULED AT

PARIS-ORLY AIRPORT (LFPO), MARSEILLE PROVENCE AIRPORT (LFML),

TOULOUSE BLAGNAC AIRPORT (LFBO) AND BORDEAUX MERIGNAC AIRPORT (LFBD). IT IS POSSIBLE TO GROUP AIRLINES TOGETHER ON AN AIRPORT TO SHARE THE FLIGHTS PROGRAM REDUCTION.

PROPOSALS FOR MODIFIED FLIGHT SCHEDULES MUST BE SENT BEFORE MONDAY 27 MARCH 10H00 UTC TO DGAC/DTA BY EMAIL TO: DTA-PROGRAMMES-CRISES-BF(AT)AVIATION-CIVILE.GOUV.FR

RMK 2: TERRITORIAL CONTINUITY FLIGHTS ARE NOT CONCERNED BY THIS

REQUEST

RMK 3: AIRCRAFT OPERATORS MUST SYSTEMATICALLY CANCEL ALL PLN, RPL OR

FPL FOR THE FLIGHTS NOT PERFORMED.
This clearly has nothing to do with ATH as a destination so the remarks make little to no sense. I would suspect that short of their being industrial action in ATH causing the cancellation (INDN), this is simply a copy and paste error and would submit on the grounds of a short staffing issue (HDLY) but do not be surprised if it gets rejected, at that point it becomes an escalation.
studio76 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Claiming back the taxi? Yes that would normally be OK.
It ended up being around USD200!!! I trust they won't kick up a fuss!
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
Hi,
Does someone have any info on BA365 LYS-LHR this morning? It landed 3h30mn late, and is marked as ZO. Passengers were boarded and then offloaded because of a smell in the plane.
Thanks.
I think youíve got your answer there. The ZO for a return to stand would imply a tech delay.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by mrdisco
BA662 just been canx for tomorrow. Not ideal, Iíve rebooked to the later LCA via the app but I canít check in as the rebook hasnít been ticketed (is this not automatic if done via the app?)

No doubt weíll be separated for the flight now, as weíd snagged 1A and C. Infuriating.
Hopefully it is now ticketed as the flight is full. The cancellation is due to to a lack of Heathrow staff resource, HDLY.
mrdisco likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: Avios, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Just want to check that reimbursement for the cab from JFK to EWR shouldn't be an issue? Originally booked to land at EWR. Rental car booked at EWR and wife needs to drive further into NJ, so JFK an absolute pain in the backside for her.
Our flight was cancelled last April. Heathrow to San Jose non stop, they offered San fran but are not responsbile for land transport I was told. So we took a route via LAX on AA instead
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pointtopoint79
Our flight was cancelled last April. Heathrow to San Jose non stop, they offered San fran but are not responsbile for land transport I was told. So we took a route via LAX on AA instead
The standard guidance for any re-routing which involves a change of starting or end airport has in it some line about customers must be told that if they choose a new route, they are responsible for transport to or from the new airport. Sometimes this is correct, but under EC261 there is a provision to claim back extra travel costs in other circumstances. In any case, BA generally just pays up provided it's not an obvious try-on.
PAL62V and Pointtopoint79 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:03 am
bkm

Programs: BA LH AA
BA 372 (07:55 Toulouse) canx 30/3/23

Hi,

Some advice if possible.

I fly quite alot and this is my first cancellation. I'm not sure what my options are.

I was notified by the CheckMytrip app that the flight was cancelled (approx15:00), checked in MMB and it was confirmed. As of now (17:00) I have not received and comms from BA.

MMB is offering me the late evening departure, arrives 23:30, and the same for Friday. This would mean I would require an overnight stay in Toulouse as I'm due for onward travel by rail, would BA compensate me for the hotel cost?

What are my options if I cancel, would BA compensate me for my prebooked LHR parking (it's too late to cancel as they require 24hrs notice) and my rail fares? I realise that my travel insurance may cover these costs but it seems a little unfair to them as they are of BA's making.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I don’t know if it’s too late to ask (sorry, Covid. Again), but can anyone tell me why BA793 was delayed on 24/03 please?

I had an email saying air traffic control restrictions but tweeted Heathrow and they said they weren’t aware of any.
Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:25 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sigwx
This clearly has nothing to do with ATH as a destination so the remarks make little to no sense. I would suspect that short of their being industrial action in ATH causing the cancellation (INDN), this is simply a copy and paste error and would submit on the grounds of a short staffing issue (HDLY) but do not be surprised if it gets rejected, at that point it becomes an escalation.
I was on a trip the opposite way, departing ATH (on A3) at 15.30 local time, so not a dissimilar time to that which you were scheduled to land. Certainly no strikes at ATH, those having occurred a few days previously. There were some very slight delays due to ATC, but nothing out of the ordinary, and the hold the other end at LHR was a few minutes so we ran to within 10 minutes of schedule.

Our routing took us through Austrian and German airspace, so as Sigwx has said, absolutely no need to touch France. This is clearly a cut & paste error, and on the face of it BA will be liable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.