Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 22, 2023, 4:09 am

Programs: United, Virgin, BA, AA
Nothing from BA yet. BA007 LHR to HND

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've got so few cancellations I feel I must be missing some! 21 June 2023

BA007 HND - TECHY
BA304 CDG
BA982 BER
BA950 MUC

I've checked, and none of them are WEAN.
We were booked on BA007 to Tokyo on June 21, 2023. We received our 24 hour online check-in email the day before, so thought all was well. I had been warned that this flight was regularly being cancelled after switching from Finnair flights (indirect) to the BA flight to go direct. (These were reward flights.) However, after receiving our online check-in email I was no longer worried.

At 1:00 am, the day of flying, I decided to check us in before doing a few last bits only to discover our flight had been cancelled! No communication from BA whatsoever to let us know. Online, we were offered indirect flights via Paris in Economy on BA and then Premium Economy on JAL to Tokyo. We declined these flights as we were booked in Business Class. These flights would have gotten us in much later than planned - well over the three hour mark. We headed to LHR and couldnít get anyone to help us. No customer service desk, which I still find shocking. We were given a business card with a customer service number which was not open yet! Also, it is the the same customer service number everyone else uses that is impossible to get through to. So we queued up as if we were checking in.

When we got to the desk we gave several options for replacement flights that we found acceptable, (not the other way around) none which were available. I had communicated our problem on a forum here and someone kindly suggested flights with Qatar which seats were available. Indirect, but in business class. After a few minutes to wait for approval we were on our way.

Originally, we should have taken off at 9:35 and landed at HND at 7:10 the next day. In the end, we took off at 15:05 and landed at NRT at 18:35 the next day. We ended up missing the last train to Kyoto and had to stay at the Hilton at NRT. It took some time to get our rail pass and ended up at the Hilton around 22:00. Since all the restaurants were closed and room service finished for the evening we had snacks from the 7Eleven for our first meal in Japan. 😂

The next morning we made our way to Kyoto. Our hotel, the Ace Hotel, still charged us for our missed night, so we paid for two rooms at each hotel.

Upon our return, on July 12th, I completed a compensation claim on BAís website. We have claimed compensation for the cancelled flights, coffee and snacks at Caffe Nero (we were not given vouchers) as we couldnít check-in for the Qatar flights until 11:00 (it was 7:30 am when we arrived at Terminal 4 after the flight switch), the Hilton at NRT, and breakfast at Starbucks the next morning. I am not sure if we can claim for the first night at the hotel we missed in Kyoto. We also missed a day using our rail passes. To date we have heard nothing from BA with the exception of confirmation of receipt of our claim.

How long does BA have to respond? I thought 28 days. Any advice would be appreciated! TIA!
Old Aug 22, 2023, 4:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tonmason
How long does BA have to respond? I thought 28 days. Any advice would be appreciated! TIA!
I'm trying to keep this thread for the reasons for flight delays or cancellations, not as a proxy thread for the EC261 thread. Otherwise I'm just constantly re-typing out things already well developed in that other thread. But there isn't a 28 day limit, unfortunately BA is often taking 4 or 5 months to reply to complaints, particularly if the complaint is more than 2 sentences long. But at 8 weeks you should go to CEDR anyway.
LCSinTexas and Kostya like this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 4:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Tuesday 22 August 2023

So far no LHR short notice cancellations for today for BA (United and AA have one each). So 334 flights now scheduled for departure from LHR.
Kostya likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 4:57 am

Programs: United, Virgin, BA, AA
I'm trying to keep this thread for the reasons for flight delays or cancellations, not as a proxy thread for the EC261 thread. Otherwise I'm just constantly re-typing out things already well developed in that other thread. But there isn't a 28 day limit, unfortunately BA is often taking 4 or 5 months to reply to complaints, particularly if the complaint is more than 2 sentences long. But at 8 weeks you should go to CEDR anyway.
Thanks for the reply and apologies. Looking at what has been listed for our flight - TECHY OR TECH - I assume we should be eligible for compensation?
Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by tonmason
Thanks for the reply and apologies. Looking at what has been listed for our flight - TECHY OR TECH - I assume we should be eligible for compensation?
yes.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Wednesday 23 August 2023
After a clean sheet yesterday we have one short notice LHR cancellation today:
BA982 BER
and 333 BA departures from LHR today.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi all, please could someone kindly check BA718 (LHR-ZRH) for tomorrow (24th August)?
Old Aug 23, 2023, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richiejv
Hi all, please could someone kindly check BA718 (LHR-ZRH) for tomorrow (24th August)?
BA's Flightstatus says it is cancelled, though I don't know yet when it was cancelled.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA's Flightstatus says it is cancelled, though I don't know yet when it was cancelled.
Thanks CWS. Seems as if the plane's scheduled flights for tomorrow are all running fine, just this one which has been canned.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 9:02 pm

Programs: nz, qantas
BA 107 Cancellation 18 June

Flight cancelled 12 hours in advance. No reason given. Submit claim and over 2 months later BA starting to suggest weather. Other flights Lon to Dubai operated and weather was fine both locations?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nz737200
Flight cancelled 12 hours in advance. No reason given. Submit claim and over 2 months later BA starting to suggest weather. Other flights Lon to Dubai operated and weather was fine both locations?
This was discussed upthread (e.g. 976) so it is down as a weather cancellation with HADACAB in place (and the weather wasn't good with the cross winds). Now this can explain why (e.g.) Emirates was operating at least some or even all of their services but it doesn't give you a good case.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:22 am

Programs: nz, qantas
Thank you.
odd cancelled 12 + hours in advance rather than see actual conditions noting other a380 flights operated at both airports that day.
Who should I contact to challenge?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just seen the Saturday morning ARN flight has been cancelled - are they starting to process the bank holiday weekend cancellations?
Watching as I'm on the afternoon ARN flight to start an ex-EU. Hopefully that is it now it for Stockholm cancellations.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Thursday 24 August 2023

After a few quiet days we have a number of cancellations come through for today.

BA1474 GLA
BA1438 EDI
BA952 MUC
BA1444 EDI
BA966 HAM
BA718 ZRH
BA728 GVA
BA904 FRA

which leaves 327 BA departures today.
Bluekjp and m8_rotate like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Iím currently at MAD waiting for the BA461 to LHR which is showing an ETD of 1934 instead of 1720.

Iíve had an email from BA suggesting itís ATC delays at LHR due to weather - but is that correct?

As things stand weíre likely to misconnect onto the last NCL service (BA1338) so barring an aircraft swap Iím looking at an overnight stay at the Sofitel and the early flight in the morning.

The other flights out of MAD are all full so no chance of being moved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.