Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 19, 2023, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA1337 NCL-LHR just cancelled 5 hours prior.

Curiously BA1336 still showing as operating...

Anyone know why?

EDIT: 1336 now cancelled too

Last edited by Manc94; Aug 19, 2023 at 10:09 am
Old Aug 19, 2023, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Saturday 19 August - update

Some further cancellations, some already mentioned.

BA566 MXP
BA454 AGP
BA1336 NCL
BA245 EZE - B788
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:19 pm

Programs: ITA
Any information on BA273 service to SAN today?
I am supposed to be on BA272 flying back, but Hilary hurricane may affect it...
Old Aug 20, 2023, 4:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sunday 20 August 2023

Short notice cancellations from LHR today
BA263 RUH (that's just happened) - B772
BA173 JFK - B77W
BA462 MAD
BA739 GVA
BA197 IAH - B78X

which leaves 321 departures from LHR today.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 6:50 am

What are the actual, big picture reasons for all these cancellations, on the day or otherwise?

Ive now had three flights cancelled for August. Im still waiting to be reimbursed for a taxi after a LGW diversion eight weeks ago (due to a delay and missing LHR curfew) so I have no desire to take the risk and accept Ill be reimbursed/compensated. BA are a liability.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steview111
What are the actual, big picture reasons for all these cancellations, on the day or otherwise?
I think it's detailed upthread - shortage of crew and equipment. That's not new, and a quick scan upthread will indicate that cancellations are around 1 to 2% of all flights, and that's been the case for at least 30 years. Moreover it's not unique to BA, many days last week Lufthansa + Eurowings cancelled more flights into LHR than BA, and LHR isn't exactly a LH hub. There have been about 9 days in the last month when BA represented more than half of cancellations (today is one such day), and and 21 days when it has been less than half, bearing in mind BA is approximately 50% of LHR.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:36 am

Cancellations ZHR to LHR in February

Hi,

would anyone know or be able to shed some light on why the following flights were cancelled from Zurich to Heathrow on 7th and 8th of February 2023?

BA0717 on 7th February 2023
BA8768 on 7th February 2023 (to LCY instead of LHR)
BA0711 on 8th February 2023

If interested why I am wanting to know and some background:
I was originally booked on the first flight, which was cancelled, then on the second, which was then also cancelled and then the third, which was cancelled the day before (evening of 7th February!). I was told there was adverse weather, i.e. fog and there were reports of this in the news. However, that was in the morning of the day and only affected LCY. I have online newspaper screen shots quoting Heathrow saying flights were still going in and out. I pointed this out to BA and asked for the reason and proof, especially since other airlines were operating all their flights that day between ZRH and LRH (On the day I did ask for them to put me on Swiss Air flight, but naturally they refused any made me spent the night at an airport hotel).
They basically said I should go to CEDR, if I wanted proof, which I did, hoping to see the actual reasons for the flight cancellations. I handed all the evidence, screen shots from newspaper and departure board for the flights day, proving only BA was not operating their flights. After an extension requested by BA they finally replied to say they paid 220 GBP without admitting anything or providing proof. Unfortunately, I didn't think of claiming 660 GBP for the three cancellations, especially as I did not know if perhaps one of them was indeed due to adverse weather. So this has now been closed by CEDR, as my claim was met, even though I rejected the offer as I rather see proof from BA. It feels like they just paid me off, so they don't have to provide any proof, which they then should have done when I made a claim (also for 220 GBP) directly with them, instead of sending me to CEDR, without compensation or proof. It seems unfair, that they are able to ignore claims in that way and CEDR not able to call them out for that behaviour.
The worst part is not knowing if the flights were actually just cancelled for operational reasons or not, which is why I wanted to see their logs, rather than getting money.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:57 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Fairon
Hi,

would anyone know or be able to shed some light on why the following flights were cancelled from Zurich to Heathrow on 7th and 8th of February 2023?

BA0717 on 7th February 2023
BA8768 on 7th February 2023 (to LCY instead of LHR)
BA0711 on 8th February 2023

If interested why I am wanting to know and some background:
I was originally booked on the first flight, which was cancelled, then on the second, which was then also cancelled and then the third, which was cancelled the day before (evening of 7th February!). I was told there was adverse weather, i.e. fog and there were reports of this in the news. However, that was in the morning of the day and only affected LCY. I have online newspaper screen shots quoting Heathrow saying flights were still going in and out. I pointed this out to BA and asked for the reason and proof, especially since other airlines were operating all their flights that day between ZRH and LRH (On the day I did ask for them to put me on Swiss Air flight, but naturally they refused any made me spent the night at an airport hotel).
They basically said I should go to CEDR, if I wanted proof, which I did, hoping to see the actual reasons for the flight cancellations. I handed all the evidence, screen shots from newspaper and departure board for the flights day, proving only BA was not operating their flights. After an extension requested by BA they finally replied to say they paid 220 GBP without admitting anything or providing proof. Unfortunately, I didn't think of claiming 660 GBP for the three cancellations, especially as I did not know if perhaps one of them was indeed due to adverse weather. So this has now been closed by CEDR, as my claim was met, even though I rejected the offer as I rather see proof from BA. It feels like they just paid me off, so they don't have to provide any proof, which they then should have done when I made a claim (also for 220 GBP) directly with them, instead of sending me to CEDR, without compensation or proof. It seems unfair, that they are able to ignore claims in that way and CEDR not able to call them out for that behaviour.
The worst part is not knowing if the flights were actually just cancelled for operational reasons or not, which is why I wanted to see their logs, rather than getting money.
It depends on the exact timings, but as you say, you might actually be in line for 660 in compensation. The fact that you've been paid 220 for one of the cancellations doesn't extinguish your right to claim the remaining 440, so long as you didn't agree to a "full and final" settlement or anything of that nature with BA.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum.

At this stage, it's too late for anyone here to find out much more from our usual sources of information, so I am afraid that you aren't going to get much further than the usual public source information on the weather. For the CEDR process, well I can see your point of view but the painful reality is that BA have about 500 complaints a months running into CEDR with only a handful of people working though them. So BA is at a certain point just going to pay off some claims rather than put in about 1 person day of effort per complaint for a claim of 200. If you are a business it would be crazy to do otherwise. I think you acknowledge there was some bad weather at this time, plus you were not at that point aware that BA does put people on Swiss. So my advice would be to accept this payment, one flight was probably legitimately cancelled, with BA getting away with the third flight. You know next time to come here, so you're not going get hit again by this.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by flarmip
It depends on the exact timings, but as you say, you might actually be in line for 660 in compensation. The fact that you've been paid 220 for one of the cancellations doesn't extinguish your right to claim the remaining 440, so long as you didn't agree to a "full and final" settlement or anything of that nature with BA.
Thanks for the reply. I stated in the CEDR claim that I wanted 220 GBP, so not sure, if I am allowed to open another claim for the other flights, especially since I haven't been specific for which flight I was claiming and referenced all three flights. BA and/or CEDR would probably claim this was settled?
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: BA GGL
Thanks for the reply. I stated in the CEDR claim that I wanted 220 GBP, so not sure, if I am allowed to open another claim for the other flights, especially since I haven't been specific for which flight I was claiming and referenced all three flights. BA and/or CEDR would probably claim this was settled?
They might try and claim that, but at the end of the day there is a lot of money at stake here, and little to lose by pursuing the remainder.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum.

At this stage, it's too late for anyone here to find out much more from our usual sources of information, so I am afraid that you aren't going to get much further than the usual public source information on the weather. For the CEDR process, well I can see your point of view but the painful reality is that BA have about 500 complaints a months running into CEDR with only a handful of people working though them. So BA is at a certain point just going to pay off some claims rather than put in about 1 person day of effort per complaint for a claim of 200. If you are a business it would be crazy to do otherwise. I think you acknowledge there was some bad weather at this time, plus you were not at that point aware that BA does put people on Swiss. So my advice would be to accept this payment, one flight was probably legitimately cancelled, with BA getting away with the third flight. You know next time to come here, so you're not going get hit again by this.
Thank you for the warm welcome. I did actually ask to be put on a Swiss flight, but the staff in Zurich are actually not BA staff, so they said they couldn't book me on any other flight and was told to call BA, which I did. But whenever I call BA it seems to go to some outsourced call centre, where they are not allowed to do this kind of thing either and appear to be unable themselves to contact anyone at (actual?) BA. I even had to add my complaint, that I was yelled at by a staff member on my call for re-booking the last cancellation. BA obviously ignored that part of my complaint, too.
Might the frustration of not being able to help BA customers. The worst part was, that I did not expect that, as the call was very friendly (so I thought) and it was a simple re-booking on to the next available flight, for which I was grateful. Must have been some misunderstanding, that made the person (a manager) snap.
The adverse weather was only in the morning (London morning fog) and my flight was late in the afternoon. And as any other airline were operating their flights, I would suspect all three flights were cancelled for operational reasons. I don't think those flights were very full, so probably a chance for BA to consolidate their passengers onto one flight.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the warm welcome. I did actually ask to be put on a Swiss flight, but the staff in Zurich are actually not BA staff, so they said they couldn't book me on any other flight and was told to call BA, which I did. But whenever I call BA it seems to go to some outsourced call centre, where they are not allowed to do this kind of thing either and appear to be unable themselves to contact anyone at (actual?)
If you asked to go on Swiss, BA refused, and you were held overnight as a direct consequence, then even if it's extraordinary circumstances it's payable under LE v TAP. See the main EC261 thread which has a lot more detail. If one of the other 2 cancelled flights was in this category then you have a basis. But kindly follow that up in that thread, this thread is more about the reasons for delay rather than EC261 details. The usual way to get an agent to respect the rebooking guidelines is to ask the agent to add a comment into the PNR that you requested rebooking on LX: at that point the agent knows they could be asked about the refusal.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you asked to go on Swiss, BA refused, and you were held overnight as a direct consequence, then even if it's extraordinary circumstances it's payable under LE v TAP. See the main EC261 thread which has a lot more detail. If one of the other 2 cancelled flights was in this category then you have a basis. But kindly follow that up in that thread, this thread is more about the reasons for delay rather than EC261 details. The usual way to get an agent to respect the rebooking guidelines is to ask the agent to add a comment into the PNR that you requested rebooking on LX: at that point the agent knows they could be asked about the refusal.
Thank you for the helpful information. Definitely something I will do next time I find myself in that situation.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:35 am

Hi all,
can someone please the check the status of BA2039/2038 on 21 Aug (LGW<->MCO) on BA side?
In my MMB screen it shows as cancelled (see below) but then eveywhere else (incuding ExperFlyer and BA Flight Status) it shows as 'scheduled' and looks normal.

MMB Status

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.