Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 17, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
Originally Posted by Andre182
Just found out my flight tomorrow (Aug 18 - BA662 - LHR to LCA) was cancelled. No notification or anything. I found out by sheer luck and managed to book BA0620 which is just an hour earlier. Not the worst but still not ideal. I had paid for a specific seat (1A) on the original flight. I called BA and they've told me I am in 5F for this new flight. Will I be able to get a refund for the seat selection fee? Am I entitled to any other compensation?
Providing the reason for the cancellation is qualifying (I'm sure others will be able to confirm), you're entitled to £350 in compensation per passenger. That's because although you were rebooked on an alternative flight, it's one that leaves more than an hour earlier. You'll also be entitled to a refund of your seat selection fee regardless (though I'm surprised you managed to reserve a row 1 seat - these are normally blocked for Gold members).

BA should pay up for the seat selection refund without issue, and similarly for half of the £350 compensation provided their systems have the reason for the cancellation down as a qualifying one.

But they're likely to (wrongly) claim that you are only entitled to half the compensation and refuse to pay the full amount, since you didn't arrive more than 2 hours late. This is unambiguously wrong (there is case law to this effect) but sadly BA still seem to be trying it on, so you may need to take it to CEDR to get the full amount you're entitled to.

Anyway, submit your claim after you get to LCA and then see what BA come back with.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by flarmip
Providing the reason for the cancellation is qualifying (I'm sure others will be able to confirm), you're entitled to £350 in compensation per passenger. That's because although you were rebooked on an alternative flight, it's one that leaves more than an hour earlier. You'll also be entitled to a refund of your seat selection fee regardless (though I'm surprised you managed to reserve a row 1 seat - these are normally blocked for Gold members).

BA should pay up for the seat selection refund without issue, and similarly for half of the £350 compensation provided their systems have the reason for the cancellation down as a qualifying one.

But they're likely to (wrongly) claim that you are only entitled to half the compensation and refuse to pay the full amount, since you didn't arrive more than 2 hours late. This is unambiguously wrong (there is case law to this effect) but sadly BA still seem to be trying it on, so you may need to take it to CEDR to get the full amount you're entitled to.

Anyway, submit your claim after you get to LCA and then see what BA come back with.
Amazing. Thank you for the prompt and thorough response.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by flarmip

sorry. To clarify, am i entitled to the full £350 compensation? Or half of it?

to answer your row 1 question. I believe if they are not reserved by golds then BA releases them a few days before the flight and which is when i snapped one up.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
Originally Posted by Andre182
sorry. To clarify, am i entitled to the full £350 compensation? Or half of it?

to answer your row 1 question. I believe if they are not reserved by golds then BA releases them a few days before the flight and which is when i snapped one up.
You're entitled to £350 (provided the reason is a qualifying one) but BA is likely to only voluntarily pay half. You will probably have to go to CEDR to get the other half.

Yes, that was the only possibility I could imagine, though it must be fairly rare for anyone to pay for seat selection in the narrow window between row 1 being released and check-in opening?
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Andre182 Pity you didnít try to convince them to you through TLV for the extra tier points and CW rather than CE!

Although the possible connection for arriving tomorrow is quite long, and does require an interline with a non OneWorld carrier:

Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
Andre182 Pity you didnít try to convince them to you through TLV for the extra tier points and CW rather than CE!

Although the possible connection for arriving tomorrow is quite long, and does require an interline with a non OneWorld carrier:

This was a reward flight so no tier points I am aftaid. Thanks though
Old Aug 17, 2023, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Now we are past the original departure time, can someone see the reason for this cancellation? We arrived on the later flight which puts us over 4 hours later than originally booked, with around ten days notice of the CX.
BA2826 LGW-AMS also cancelled on 16Aug. Anyone know the reason for that one? Didnít cancel until about 2 hours prior to scheduled departure.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Friday 18 August 2023

Quite a few today
BA1414 BHD
BA484 BCN
BA185 EWR - B772
BA536 NAP
BA662 LCA
BA816 CPH
BA225 MSY - B789

Which leaves 325 BA departures from LHR today.
Bluekjp and m8_rotate like this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Friday 18 August update
Two further cancellations today
BA197 IAH - B78X
BA560 FCO
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Cancelled flights always get reimbursement, they may also get compensation, see the EC261 thread for the discussion on this. On that date about 6 Airbus were out of service for short term technical reasons so while I don't now for certain I suspect it is TECHY (see post 1).
do cancelled flights get compensation even if you were booked on another carrier as a result and arrived a little 30 mins later? I think the answer is no, right?
Old Aug 18, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
BA2879 PMI-LGW 21/8/23 just been cancelled.

Does anyone have the cancellation code please?
Old Aug 19, 2023, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Saturday 19 August 2023

Quite a few cancellations, I'm guessing that a number of A320s remain out of service.
BA854 PRG
BA780 ARN
BA486 BCN
BA422 VLC
BA792 GOT
BA430 AMS
BA868 BUD
BA866 BUD
BA902 FRA
BA512 PMI
Leaving 305 BA departures from LHR today.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 5:15 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Brutal cancelling 2 x BUD flights. Isnít that where a lot of the TP runs start?
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
What's going on at Gatwick/Euroflyer? BA2865 AYT LGW for tomorrow is already 2 hours delayed, the flight on Friday was delayed overnight to this afternoon and Wednesday it was cancelled altogether
Old Aug 19, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by petter2
What's going on at Gatwick/Euroflyer? BA2865 AYT LGW for tomorrow is already 2 hours delayed, the flight on Friday was delayed overnight to this afternoon and Wednesday it was cancelled altogether
We had similar to PFO on Thursday when the outbound was late in from Verona but they knew it would be late 2 days prior. I suspect the Mount Etna eruption may have caused some airspace restrictions but Iím not completely sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.