Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Hello, my BA341 (NCE-LHR) for tomorrow morning 13/3 and BA 834 onwards to Dublin were both just cancelled. Is this also a staffing problem, ie eligible for compensation? Thanks in advance.
The 341 is listed as OPEY and the aircraft is positioning back empty to LHR. The 834 is still operating.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sigwx
The 341 is listed as OPEY and the aircraft is positioning back empty to LHR.
I am trying to get my head around this. BA flew a crew to NCE on Sunday, they arrived just 30 minutes late, who could have returned the same day as non working crew on an existing service. But instead stayed a night and still came back as non working crew in order to bring an empty aircraft back to LHR? And the benefit would basically be getting an aircraft and crew back to base without adding much to handling pressures. Twenty minutes late, no passengers.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am trying to get my head around this. BA flew a crew to NCE on Sunday, they arrived just 30 minutes late, who could have returned the same day as non working crew on an existing service. But instead stayed a night and still came back as non working crew in order to bring an empty aircraft back to LHR? And the benefit would basically be getting an aircraft and crew back to base without adding much to handling pressures. Twenty minutes late, no passengers.
That is a possibility, Id have imagined HDLY would still have been used as the code for purely a LHR ramp/ground resource issue. Given the late hour the cancellation occurred Id imagine it was more likely a crew sickness down route scenario. If they departed LHR with min crew any additional sickness would see insufficient crew to operate with pax onboard.

The crew operating now would have arrived during the day yesterday and would not have been the crew operating G-EUUU outbound last night. The crew who brought the aircraft down last night wouldnt likely have had the hours available to empty pos back and Heathrow would have been closed for the night in any case.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks both! And yes to make this funny I received cancellation notices for both flights whilst the second is in fact operating!

on a lighter note, maybe some of the crew decided to seek climatic asylum and stay in Nices sunshine and 23 degrees rather than return to the cold and damp British weather of late!!
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Info to that platform has been throttled. Need to be staff to access now.
Good to see they're working on the IT issues that really need fixed.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Could anyone possibly tell me why today's BA954 (LHR-MUC) was cancelled? I've been re-booked on the BA958 which is much later than I ideally wanted but it was the only option available in the ap. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
And of course just to add to the problems, today the weather joins in

EGLC (London City)
Arrivals regulated due to Weather (Strong winds)
Moderate delays

EGLL (London Heathrow)
Arrivals regulated due to Weather (Strong winds)
High delays
Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Can anyone shed any light onto the cancellation of BA0358, LHR-LYS today? I note it's been cancelled several times over the past week,
Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
Could anyone possibly tell me why today's BA954 (LHR-MUC) was cancelled? I've been re-booked on the BA958 which is much later than I ideally wanted but it was the only option available in the ap. Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by Teece
Can anyone shed any light onto the cancellation of BA0358, LHR-LYS today? I note it's been cancelled several times over the past week,
Both are listed as HDLY. 261 eligible subject to usual rules etc.
Teece and Mike P like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Excellent, thanks for confirming.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
BA419 12 Mar Cancelled

Good morning, I was on BA419 LUX-LHR which was cancelled yesterday, does anyone know why please? It looks like the LHR outbound was diverted to GVA?
Thank you.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
Good morning, I was on BA419 LUX-LHR which was cancelled yesterday, does anyone know why please? It looks like the LHR outbound was diverted to GVA?
Thank you.
That has already been noted as Handling staff shortage.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That has already been noted as Handling staff shortage.
Thank you
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:24 am

Hello, Im looking for the reason flight BA1455 was cancelled today. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
BA1455 does look like weather. It is quite windy today at LHR so arrivals are affected - see my earlier post as well.
Sigwx and Greyraccoon like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.