Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What happens if you miss your flight, your own fault?

Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

On BA, I've fortunately never been in this situation. But what happens if you miss a flight, maybe due to traffic or whatever other reason, but for some reason that has nothing to do with BA. What exactly do you do? I'm actually clueless as to what your actual options are at that point. Have you lost the entire ticket and have to rebook a new one at same day prices? Can the check in staff help you?

Secondary question, what if you miss your flight once you've already checked in and past immigration? Who do you contact in that sort of situation? Assuming not in LHR so not any BA staff around
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Is this hypothetical or has it happened ?!
stifle likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
happened to me a couple of times. On my way to LHR and a fatl accident on the roads mean i was 1hr late - as was everyone coming by road. BA ticket on Finnair, they checked that there were "exceptional circumstances" and booked me on the next flight to HEL via ARL. I was panicked, but they were calm and no problem. If you have a problem en route, call BA and they can probably do something to help. If you get through security and pass out in the lounge..... well, good luck!!
becks1, M60_to_LGA and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum.

For the first one, ideally you ring the contact centre as soon as you can to get you offloaded from the service before you can be deemed a no-show. This keeps the ticket "alive". If it's LHR, LGW or JFK you can still see if the staff there will show mercy and rebook you on to the next flight, perhaps charging a nominal 60/$100 as a service fee, but that's not guaranteed and if you are in any way unpleasant about the situation then you will be invited to go online and buy a new ticket. At outstations without ticketing options you are most likely to be referred to the contact centres (though in reality they can rebook you).

Airside, again you ideally get an agent to offload you so the ticket is still kept alive, but if the flight departed without you then you are a no-show and that's it.

I've managed a fairly busy travel schedule where this has never happened to me, other than connections being missed (and to which a different logic applies). So I'm reporting from observation and from FT posts rather than personal experience.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum.

For the first one, ideally you ring the contact centre as soon as you can to get you offloaded from the service before you can be deemed a no-show. This keeps the ticket "alive". If it's LHR, LGW or JFK you can still see if the staff there will show mercy and rebook you on to the next flight, perhaps charging a nominal 60/$100 as a service fee, but that's not guaranteed and if you are in any way unpleasant about the situation then you will be invited to go online and buy a new ticket. At outstations without ticketing options you are most likely to be referred to the contact centres (though in reality they can rebook you).

Airside, again you ideally get an agent to offload you so the ticket is still kept alive, but if the flight departed without you then you are a no-show and that's it.

I've managed a fairly busy travel schedule where this has never happened to me, other than connections being missed (and to which a different logic applies). So I'm reporting from observation and from FT posts rather than personal experience.
What happens if you book separate tickets, and you miss your connection with BA, due to a late inbound from the separately booked ticket? And if this isnt a LON airport?

asking as Im considering making a booking like this and the thought of this scenario did cross my mind.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
What happens if you book separate tickets, and you miss your connection with BA, due to a late inbound from the separately booked ticket? And if this isnt a LON airport?

asking as Im considering making a booking like this and the thought of this scenario did cross my mind.
Separate tickets, then youve got no luck or protection officially
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What happens if you book separate tickets, and you miss your connection with BA, due to a late inbound from the separately booked ticket? And if this isn’t a LON airport?

asking as I’m considering making a booking like this and the thought of this scenario did cross my mind.
It's the same thing really. If you turn up in Flight Connections with a missed flight the agents will immediately see that it wasn't a connection, and while you can do your best to negotiate a better outcome, formally BA will just say, correctly if unhelpfully, "separate contracts". Generally you can work out if this is going to happen before take-off from the previous sector, since with a given take-off time, plus block time, you can work out if you are going to hit conformance or not. At which point you call or look manically at any Avios options for later that day. But if booking different tickets you do need to think that through very carefully in terms of timings, such as looking at twice Standard Deviation on average delays and what-not.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

​​​​​
That depends on the policy of the late-delivering carrier. For example, AA's policy is not to protect across separate tickets, unless the AA ticket and a separate tickets on a oneworld carrier are contained in the same PNR. There are some travel agents who are able to book separate tickets on a single PNR. One of them posted recently here on FT about his ability to do.

Edited to add: Here's the thread I was thinking of. See, especially, Posts 16-20, and 23:

STS -LAX-LHR on Alaska/ American - any kind of delay protection on separate tickets?
aquanine and perbinder like this.

Last edited by guv1976; Dec 4, 2022 at 2:51 pm
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
AA used to have quite a generous protection clause meaning that they would help if you had a delayed flight with them and missed a connection to another OW flight on a separate ticket. However, this was written out of their T&Cs several years ago. My experience has been, as mentioned above, that being non-expectant and unfailingly polite can help a great deal in this situation.

A little while ago, I was working in MIA and had flown AA F out and was flying AA F back. My wife decided to come out and spend 2 nights in Miami Beach (with me?) before I went home, but having flown AA economy on the way out re-confirmed her stance that she wasn't willing to fly economy back. Not being able to partake of what I thought was the very reasonable option of leaving her in Florida forever, and with the all of the flights from MIA to LHR completely booked up in J and F that day, I booked her an avios CW flight ATL-LHR, with a short hop MIA-ATL beforehand and a 6 hour layover in-between.
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG??
Anyway, a burst aircraft tyre, a missing engineer and 7hrs later she arrived at ATL. The BA flight was delayed an hour but had closed. While she was in the air flying to ATL, I was in the air using AA's shoddy Wifi and a contact that I dare not mention publicly dare I be hung drawn and quartered. When she eventually arrived at the gate, as God is my (her!) witness, the BA station manager at ATL re-opened the flight for her and let her board.

So these things can occasionally work out but my advice is, if you can avoid it, don't bother!
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As someone who has missed a 06:20 LHR-MAD flight this summer due to turning off an alarm when unconscious and sleepy, BA said that there is nothing that they could do despite a very helpful agent at the First Wing. At least I was connecting to JFK from MAD so I was able to pay the no-show fee ( which was luckily USD 150 in my case ) and since it was not the first leg of the ticket, historical fares where in effect so, in the end, I arrived at JFK, 5 hours later than planned, however, got the Spanish taxes back thus I lost around USD 95 for my dummy mistake.

So, it's a YMMV situation. As a side note, I was Gold back then ( not GGL ) and since the ticket was at airport control, the Gold line ( got directed to India ) refused to touch the ticket as it was under airport control.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As someone who has missed a 06:20 LHR-MAD flight this summer due to turning off an alarm when unconscious and sleepy, BA said that there is nothing that they could do despite a very helpful agent at the First Wing. At least I was connecting to JFK from MAD so I was able to pay the no-show fee ( which was luckily USD 150 in my case ) and since it was not the first leg of the ticket, historical fares where in effect so, in the end, I arrived at JFK, 5 hours later than planned, however, got the Spanish taxes back thus I lost around USD 95 for my dummy mistake.

So, it's a YMMV situation. As a side note, I was Gold back then ( not GGL ) and since the ticket was at airport control, the Gold line ( got directed to India ) refused to touch the ticket as it was under airport control.
yes I think it is important to stress again that BAs firm of flat tire rule is not by any means an automatic insurance policy in case of missed departure. It gives agents/supervisors an option to appreciate possible exceptional circumstances but without such exceptional reasons you will likely be out of luck.

Basically, huge accident and M25 is closed, or Piccadilly line stops working for hours with you stuck inside in between stations and if you call immediately, chances are that something will be done to help with more or less generous options. Fail to wake up or just leave at the last minute and be unlucky that some lights were red or the M4 is busy, or book a separate flight, and as a default, chances are that you will lose everything. And before anyone thinks of lying, obviously all stations will be aware of exceptional traffic or public transport issues or extreme weather.

in all cases, you are better off contacting BA as early as you know you may not make it and always before scheduled departure as it is much harder to reinstate a flight that was auto cancelled due to a no show. Still in all cases, you are best off not missing the departure at all and this minimising risk in every way possible rather than depend on the good will of an agent.
StingWest, Anonba and mikeyfly like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the interests of research i managed to miss a flight airside. My passport somehow mislaid itself, I told BA, my bag was unloaded, and my flight left for Lagos with an extra empty seat. I went home, expecting the nightmare of reporting the loss and getting a new passport, but the miscreant one was found at Heathrow and BA put me on the next day's flight with no drama at all. I'm sure things are not always handled as seamlessly as that, but it's more anecdotal evidence that the airline can be remarkably forgiving.

But probably best not to count on it.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
In the interests of research i managed to miss a flight airside. My passport somehow mislaid itself, I told BA, my bag was unloaded, and my flight left for Lagos with an extra empty seat. I went home, expecting the nightmare of reporting the loss and getting a new passport, but the miscreant one was found at Heathrow and BA put me on the next day's flight with no drama at all. I'm sure things are not always handled as seamlessly as that, but it's more anecdotal evidence that the airline can be remarkably forgiving.

But probably best not to count on it.
Definitely not. A handful of years ago my husband was transiting LHR to EDI, spent a few too many minutes in the lounge and then went to the wrong gate (there were two EDI flights leaving within a few minutes of one another as one was delayed and he looked at the departure screen and didnt notice (neither did a handful of others.) By the time they got to the right gate the flight had closed and BA took a very hard line. He had to buy a new ticket and overnight at his expense (it was last flight of the night). We didnt fly BA for years after that.

American carriers are usually much more forgiving. (They would have put him on the next avail flight for free, but of course not pay for the hotel.)
trolleymusic and IAN-UK like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
As AA EXP, I have many reasons to fly AA (or other carriers on AA-issued tickets. My own experience include:
1) Waking up in my home and realizing that my flight is in 30 min. A quick call AA put 3 of us on the next flight (same day standby - confirmed change). GA told us that they were waiting for us on the original flight and made several announcements.
2) Staring driving to OGG (Maui) from Lahaina 3 hrs before the flight and then finding out that there is brush fire and smoke got into a tunnel. A local guy told us that the last time this happened the road was closed for 3 days. Again, called AA and they told us to contact them once we get to the airport. Then I realized that there is another partially unpaved one-way route to get to OGG. We were lucky to get on that route before it was closed by police. We arrived late for the original flight, but AA was fine and our upgrades cleared because a lot of people missed that flight.

Either way, calling an airline before you miss the flight is always a good idea.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC
A few years back flying LHR-DOH-ISB on QR (BA 125 ticket) and back direct on BA a week later. Got all the way to the gate and they wouldn't let me on as I was missing one of the many docs required for visa on arrival. Someone walked me back landside and sent me to the BA desk in T5. Without question, I was booked direct on BA 2 days later and they even pushed my return by 2 days. It had been upgraded to CW using avios. The new ticket rebooked into revenue J with full avios and TPs. An old classmate had a connection through marriage to Imran so I had the full visa within a few hours!

I had recently moved to London and was just starting to move across from *A. I was maybe bronze at that point. On the way to C or B gates even got an opup to PE. All in all a good/very lucky experience. But I wouldn't exactly go out of my way to repeat it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.