US based BAEC Elite Thread

Old Dec 3, 22, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, Tennessee Squire
US based BAEC Elite Thread

With the changes to the AA AAdvantage program this year, I went all in on BEAC. This thread is about benefits to US based flyers that can hold BEAC Sapphire, Gold and GGL status and the benefits we get from the left side of the Pond and, of course, what it provides us on the US OW airlines. Love to include TP runs from/in the US.

OW lounge access is the benefit I most covet. Access to FL lounges is worth more to me than AA UPGs. As a US domestic flyer who still loves BA to Europe, Id like to keep this a positive thread on the benefits BAEC gives those in the US, vs other OW airlines.

Note: Mods, didnt see a similar thread, but if I missed it feel free to merge. Cheers!

Last edited by Tack; Dec 3, 22 at 4:00 pm
Old Dec 3, 22, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I'm considering switching to BA next year (assuming I think my travel can get me gold, which is harder than retaining ExPlat for my patterns), largely for the FL access on domestic itineraries.

I think it'd be good to include what you lose as a BA Gold vs an ExPlat. From what I've been able to garner:
* Boarding Group 2 as Gold vs 1 as ExPlat
* 100% Avios bonus vs 120% AA miles bonus
* No complimentary domestic upgrades (to the extent they exist)
* Anything else? (Do OWEs get 3 bags and free SDCs?)
Tack likes this.
Old Dec 4, 22, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by Acidity View Post
I'm considering switching to BA next year (assuming I think my travel can get me gold, which is harder than retaining ExPlat for my patterns), largely for the FL access on domestic itineraries.

I think it'd be good to include what you lose as a BA Gold vs an ExPlat. From what I've been able to garner:
I always enjoyed all you quote above but now hold a Plat pro status as well through hyatt.
And I am curious how much I will like the free same day change option.. That you don't have as ba GGL
Old Dec 4, 22, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ gold, TK Elite

You don't need BA gold for FL access. Silver is all you need. Gold will give you access to the QF F lounge in LA and Soho lounge in JFK. Otherwise there's no difference.

BA flyers unfortunately do not get SDFC, unless it's a recent change.
​​​
ghsbass0406 and cbyrne92 like this.
Old Dec 4, 22, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ gold, TK Elite
I like having BA gold in the US for the FL access and the QF F lounge in LAX.
I also keep AS 100k and unfortunately, AS will not let me in their lounge if my BA number is not on the reservation. I believe it's a sore point for those like me. I watched a BA gold having an argument with the lounge dragon in PDX...
On the other hand it's a minor issue as I go to CC card lounges or use one of my 4 lounge coupons from AS when I really want to go in.

As GGL, I've also had occasional help in DFW, PHX, and LAX. It has twice or thrice allowed me to make a connection that otherwise I would have missed in DFW. The cart between terminals made all the difference.
A few times I've been taken by car on the tarmac.

In DFW

In LAX

PS: I was paged to board with CKs and called BA VIP tonight when boarding in LAX 😉
Tack and Chiller3333 like this.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Dec 4, 22 at 11:47 pm
Old Dec 5, 22, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Marriott Platinum
I'm a US-based BAEC Gold and have been for the last 7+ years. Access to Flagship lounges (and Flagship check-in), along with the QF lounge LAX, on purely domestic itineraries is a huge plus. oneworld lounge access rules for AA/AS elites are complicated, so being with a foreign program like BAEC removes a lot of the ambiguity since I have guaranteed lounge access on any oneworld flight.

I sometimes wonder if I'm missing out on AA domestic upgrades, but more often than not, I find myself in AA MCE with an empty middle seat, which to me is more of an ideal setup compared to domestic first class. I've found it much easier to earn and retain status with BAEC than AA thanks to the generous 140 TPs awarded for flights >2,000 miles.

And there's always the novelty of checking into an AA lounge, handing over my BAEC Gold card, and the look of confusion on the agent's face when I speak with an American accent.
Old Dec 5, 22, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, UA Gold, DL SM
BAEC Gold/ AA EXP here. I'm based in DFW, so having FL access at the main hubs and AC access elsewhere is the most important perk I can think of. I tend to fly on my AA FF# to remain eligible for upgrades with AA, but flash the BAEC card for lounge access. Being able to access the FL for a glass (or few) of champagne before a domestic flight in coach will never get old. Nevertheless, inasmuch as I can retain AA status with non-flying activities such as AAdvantage Eshopping and Rocketmiles, I'll probably move to start crediting a majority of flights to BAEC again once my TP reset for the new collection year.
Old Dec 5, 22, 8:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
BA Gold / AS MVP100K here. It really is best of both worlds, earning structure and upgrades on AS and international lounges while flying US domestic. Bit of annoying that AS themselves do not accept BA Gold if its not on my reservation at their lounges, just a heads up
Old Dec 5, 22, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
JFK based Gold here. First made Gold in 2006, slipped to Silver for a few years in the early 2010s but otherwise been Gold for the duration..

I've found little incentive to credit any AA flying to AA since I usually pay for FC (or perhaps BC on the transcons). I do put any B6 flying on my AA account.
Old Dec 5, 22, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ghsbass0406 View Post
BAEC Gold/ AA EXP here. I'm based in DFW, so having FL access at the main hubs and AC access elsewhere is the most important perk I can think of. I tend to fly on my AA FF# to remain eligible for upgrades with AA, but flash the BAEC card for lounge access. Being able to access the FL for a glass (or few) of champagne before a domestic flight in coach will never get old. Nevertheless, inasmuch as I can retain AA status with non-flying activities such as AAdvantage Eshopping and Rocketmiles, I'll probably move to start crediting a majority of flights to BAEC again once my TP reset for the new collection year.
That's my story as well. But lately I've been either buying FC on AA or opting to use the 10's of dollar upgrades after purchase, so leaning more and more on the my BA number.

I'm always looking for good TP runs in the US. West Coast Flyer, so I have had fantastic luck with AS either using them for a flight I need to take or for a run. Their SNA/LAX-SFO FC fares have been sub $300.00 rt at times this year and I've booked two beginning of next, they yield 80 TP's. Crediting is always a challenge, especially since it appears that BAMissingavios is gone. To EU I've got 2 J roundtrips booked so far for next year, but always looking for US TP runs. Would appreciate anyone who finds a decent one here in the States to share. Cheers!
Old Dec 5, 22, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I am also a BAEC Gold based in the US. I've been here since 2015 and have been Gold throughout that period.

As others have said, the ability to have lounge access on purely domestic itineraries is probably the benefit I value most: Flagship where available, Qantas in LAX, AC elsewhere.

MCE seats are a definite perk as well. I also find I can usually use the Executive Platinum helpdesk number when necessary (and have had a couple of occasions where they have been amazing in getting me out of a jam at very short notice due to IRROPS). I don't think I have missed out on any AA upgrades as a result of not being Executive Platinum, and I am not sure I'd have had the spend or sectors to get to EP with AA. BA seemed the better option in terms of obtaining and maintaining Gold.

As for TP runs, I have struggled to find any really good deals. During COVID there were more opportunities, and SJC seemed to have some good deals. I've done a few LAS - LAX - PHX - SJC trips and / or RNO too, so getting 6 x 40 TPs for a couple of hundred dollars. Recently though everything seems significantly more expensive!

Crediting anything AS to BAEC is an exercise in futility at the moment. I tend to use the https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ting-documents web form to submit claims and it's usually a quick turnaround. AS does have quite a few options for 140 TP sectors including LAS / LAX / SFO to ANC which I've used over the last couple of years. I think I ended up with 700+ TPs for a little over $1k which I thought was good value.
Tack likes this.
Old Dec 5, 22, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Duplicate

Last edited by Tack; Dec 5, 22 at 7:19 pm
Old Dec 5, 22, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Duplicate.

Last edited by Tack; Dec 5, 22 at 7:19 pm
Old Dec 5, 22, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
I also find I can usually use the Executive Platinum helpdesk number when necessary (and have had a couple of occasions where they have been amazing in getting me out of a jam at very short notice due to IRROPS)

Great info, thanks. Im hoping that us USA flyers can share some of these pearls that make being a BA Elite valuable. Cheers!
jonkx likes this.

Last edited by Tack; Dec 5, 22 at 8:33 pm
Old Dec 5, 22, 8:30 pm

Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist

Soft landing to Silver after the failure to re-qualify, which still gives FL access. More like an elite status insurance. During the benefit validity period of 51 days you still maintain Gold benefits and can start flying to qualify for next period. The sooner you qualify again to Gold , the longer will be the period, for two years at maximum plus again one year as Silver.
BAEC plans to move 2023 to earnings per pound spent, so this will change amount of Avios received from flying, significantly lower when tickets are low priced. Regarding BA flights.

Search this Thread