Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Dram Good Find in Galleries South

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Love the little Whisky snug in the lounge.

They just need to expand the selection a little like The Pot Still in Hope St.
My favourite place in Glasgow whenever I am in town.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by Cw novice

Also if your passing through GLA they have Mortlach 14yr old
Also in LGW first lounge
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Agree Talisker distillery will worth a visit.
Talisker Surge will be a travel retail exclusive. The new whisky is designed to show the elemental stormy forces that shape Skye and the Talisker distillery. Surge features whiskies of differing ages that have been matured in American oak ex-bourbon casks. The travel retail exclusive will be available in UK airports from September, before being released in Asia during October and Australia in December. There will also be a Talisker sample bar located in Terminal 5 at London's Heathrow Airport during October and November. Talisker Surge is bottled at 45.8% ABV and will cost £85/ €95/ $115 US per bottle."
Christ, that is a depressing paragraph. A less defined product (possibly inferior, possibly not) incurring a huge markup. The power of marketing!
Old Dec 2, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Agree Talisker distillery will worth a visit.

Christ, that is a depressing paragraph. A less defined product (possibly inferior, possibly not) incurring a huge markup. The power of marketing!
They have a gap needing filled in their "mid market" bracket since Diageo substantially jacked up the price of Talisker 18 last year.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
with reference age statement - it has to be 3 years old minimum. I have found some amazing whiskys without an age statement and some terrible ones with an age statement. It's such a question of personal taste though. For example, some love a peated whisky whereas I definitely do not.

The Talisker will be a decent drop though.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I have found some amazing whiskys without an age statement and some terrible ones with an age statement.
Agreed. I was recently surprised by one of those Taliskers without a specific age -- better than I expected 🤷‍♂️
Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
with reference age statement - it has to be 3 years old minimum. I have found some amazing whiskys without an age statement and some terrible ones with an age statement. It's such a question of personal taste though. For example, some love a peated whisky whereas I definitely do not.

The Talisker will be a decent drop though.
I think the problem is that it is often a marketing ploy by certain distilleries to sell sub standard whisky for high prices whilst deliberately obscuring age. I do want to note that age should never be anything, and often for some whiskies more time in the barrel may actually not be helpful - I am thinking especially of many Islay malts (e.g Laphroaig which is great at 10 years) where often there is little point buying anything older than 15 years, but as the potential customer I would at least like to know. Removal of age statements basically allows the distiller to have complete freedom to mix any age whisky together which is not always good for a quality whisky drinker.

Also if you are just going to put ice in it and/or a mixer there really is no point paying more than £30 for a bottle. In fact just get a reasonable blend for that.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 10:17 am

Given some of the whisky connoisseurs on the board, perhaps it’s time to plan a Scottish DO with an excursion to a distillery or two…? Combine it with a BRR trip for the pure aviation folks, perhaps?
superscot, BLHD, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 11:29 am

Actually does sound like a good idea. And we haven’t had a Do in the regions for a while.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squawk
Given some of the whisky connoisseurs on the board, perhaps it’s time to plan a Scottish DO with an excursion to a distillery or two…? Combine it with a BRR trip for the pure aviation folks, perhaps?
​​​​​Obviously in Glasgow you have Auchentoshan and then Glengoyne not far away.

Sadly not a codeshare but on weekdays you can do GLA-ILY as a day trip, get to Islay for 9 and a return flight about 6.30 if you wanted to do those ones too. Or there's Campbeltown for Springbank and golf. Campbeltown is somewhat cheaper. Weekdays are the best for the above as there's a morning and evening flight.

I appreciate the Pot Still gets a lot of love but there's also the Ben Nevis on Dumbarton Road which is my favourite.
KARFA, squawk and Fatdickie like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 3:17 pm

Aberdeen/Inverness and a tour of the Speyside region as well.
squawk, Cw novice and BertieBadger like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Aberdeen/Inverness and a tour of the Speyside region as well.
Also the option from Inverness to some Highland ones too such as Glen Ord and Glen Wyvis and at a push Glenmorangie.

Also closest to Inverness is Tomatin
squawk likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
It often seems to me that the cursed drink is the most important benefit for many. For me it used to be the calming atmosphere but that seems long gone as they are now packed. As for morning booze. If I did that I would sleep through the rest of the day!

I can remember being on the 747 upper deck to Dubai and refusing a fourth glass of bubbly much to the dismay of the crew member, but some would argue that I don't practice enough.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
​​​​​Obviously in Glasgow you have Auchentoshan and then Glengoyne not far away.
I had a bottle of the Auchentoshan in the house a month ago. Not bad at all.

I have a vague plan to visit the macallan distillery in early spring since it could be my last visit to Scotland for many years and its on my bucket list.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
There were two bottles of Talisker Surge in (LHR T5) Flounge earlier this evening, both on the self-serve display of spirits etc. on the left hand side of Flounge, shortly after the entrance (via First check-in). Oddly, neither appeared to be a popular choice. Dunno why folks guzzle up cheap fizz when they could enjoy a decent single malt instead. Odd.
blurt91 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.