Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Soho Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways and American Airlines Soho Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Should have decamped to the Greenwich lounge! Jokes aside, for all of the FL bumps with catering (chief culprits being missing plates, glasses, utensils), these types of issues didn’t seem to happen when it was slammed on a typical evening — at least in my experience over 20+ visits in the last year.
My gut tells me the only reason this lounge exists is because they knew they couldn't fit everyone into the space which is now called Greenwich. Perhaps a better wine list but the food was most definitely nothing to write home about. In my opinion, it's weaker than the BA F lounge at LHR.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 11:55 am

Disappointing experience

I was in the soho lounge 2 days ago - food was dreadful buffet style overbooked dry fish and chicken run out of desserts and the wine cheap and nasty. Staff were clearly overworked and trying their best but it was the product that let BA down - not waist you’d expect for such a high profile route.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:19 pm

I was in the Soho lounge last night. It has a lot of potential and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that the issues being faced are all teething issues. However, it was disappointing to see that the coffee machine wasn't working, desserts ran out, the self-serve drinks fridge was empty barring ginger ale, beer, Sprite. Didn't even have something as simple as Coke Zero/Diet Coke!

However, the QR code ordering was smooth, the buffet was reasonable and quite expansive compared to many other airline lounge offerings. Decor and ambience itself is nice, even though the lounge was busy, it there were still places to sit and didn't feel chaotic. Hopefully over the next few weeks these issues with sort themselves out. Overall I get the impression AA is "running the show" with BA's logo just pasted next to it.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 1:04 pm

I think I might be the first person to have recorded a TikTok for flyertalk but here we are!

If anyone would like to see any video footage of the Soho Lounge then here it is.

Long story short definitely some teething issues here but I think it has potential to be great IF they sort out the service and space.

Felt very bright in the centre of the dining area which was obviously the general consensus as it was the only free seating area!
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by acearchie
I think I might be the first person to have recorded a TikTok for flyertalk but here we are!

If anyone would like to see any video footage of the Soho Lounge then here it is.

Long story short definitely some teething issues here but I think it has potential to be great IF they sort out the service and space.

Felt very bright in the centre of the dining area which was obviously the general consensus as it was the only free seating area!

I am in your video 😂 I saw you walk in filming and wondered if you were doing a TikTok. I think you were generous with 6/10.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Think both this and the Chelsea had the opportunity to be so much better than they have turned out. Food looks woeful and sparse. Guess that is what happens when more than likely BA gave too much control to AA on design and content etc!
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by LeeT
Think both this and the Chelsea had the opportunity to be so much better than they have turned out. Food looks woeful and sparse. Guess that is what happens when more than likely BA gave too much control to AA on design and content etc!
I'm not sure that BA necessarily has a better reputation than AA for food at the moment. I've not been to the Soho Lounge yet, but I'm frequently in the Miami Flagship First lounge where the food sounds a lot more apetising than what's being described here. And that has somewhat easier entry requirements.

As someone who currently has to eat Gluten free, in the LHR and LGW F-lounges I'm generally relegated to colelaw, burger patties or chips (fries).

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Dec 6, 2022 at 5:55 am
Old Dec 6, 2022, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by skrbi
I am in your video 😂 I saw you walk in filming and wondered if you were doing a TikTok. I think you were generous with 6/10.
Hopefully you don't come chasing me for a performer release! I was very conscious with so many people I didn't want to get in anyones way but I'm happy I got some shots.

I have to say I actually much more enjoyed the old business lounge (wasn't gold at the time) in Terminal 7 so my 6/10 was hopeful that we can get back to calm service (which was almost instantaneous) rather than totally haphazard and the QR ordering not being delivered.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Anyone can compare the present Soho food offering with what was usually available at the AA Flagship lounge?
Old Dec 6, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Lefly
Anyone can compare the present Soho food offering with what was usually available at the AA Flagship lounge?
Worse.

They have the same number of hot items, however half the quantity and it all looks significantly overcooked in comparison to the FL. They have fewer cold items - from reports they're too cold and less of the random items - I didn't see the assorted sushi when I visited on Saturday.

For some reason, they're only making use of 1 side of the hotplates, so I would assume over time they will go to using both sides and food should be on par once they get some order in the kitchen. But overall it looked very poor, and it doesn't seem like they'll be competitive to the LAX FL's selection.
David_Doyle and Lefly like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Arrived at the SOHO lounge this evening, having arrived from London on BA CW, and transiting on to LA in business transcon on AA. BA Gold card/oneworld emerald. Lady on reception initially said we couldn’t use SOHO as we were domestic not international…… after assuring her that the access criteria meant that OWE on a OW ticket were eligible she reluctantly let us in. Bit disappointing that one week in the reception staff are still unclear about the access rules.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Applewood
Arrived at the SOHO lounge this evening, having arrived from London on BA CW, and transiting on to LA in business transcon on AA. BA Gold card/oneworld emerald. Lady on reception initially said we couldn’t use SOHO as we were domestic not international…… after assuring her that the access criteria meant that OWE on a OW ticket were eligible she reluctantly let us in. Bit disappointing that one week in the reception staff are still unclear about the access rules.
Tbh I wish they’d just scan the blooming boarding pass and the system should be coded correctly despite what the staff member says! AA staff are typically very good and know the drill for non-AS/AA oneworld Emerald flyers accessing lounges irrespective of itinerary type. I’m presuming this is just teething issues and/or you approached an outsourced BA-uniformed agent instead at entry?
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
I miss T7. “Priority” security was very crowded and slow. The couple of familiar BA faces I saw from T7 were vocal about the move being difficult. Feels like BA is squatting in someone else’s home.

Soho lounge looks fantastic (the design is several notches above the LHR lounges including CCR) but the execution is poor at the moment. Hopefully still just teething problems and easily fixable. As others have said, the food is abundant but mediocre. Other very basic things: the mineral water fridge is empty; cutlery is missing and hard to find. Forgivable on day 1 but they should have this stuff sorted by now.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 7:35 pm

Am in the lounge now and agree with this. Design looks great. Execution is horrible, and I wish I was still in T7.

The food in the self service buffet is mediocre
The table service food at the app is confusing as the app doesn't work unless you are on the lounge wifi.
The lounge wifi is very slow, which means you can time out on the orders
When you do get through, you are met with a very limited choice of burgers, a butternut curry, and a hot dog
which takes ages to arrive
A lot of very frustrated customers here.
Oh and the coffee machine is broken

Dread to think what the Greenwich lounge must be like.

In short, underwhelming.

On the plus side the gold check in area is very pleasant, although the security check is the standard JFK experience.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
I just arrived and PaulOM’s commentary is on point, and it’s pretty quiet here now. Check in was fine and received zero pushback when I mentioned I’m an EXP on an international itinerary. It took a second when my boarding pass was scanned at the desk because my international leg is not out of JFK, but was welcomed in.

A few pictures — these two summarize things nicely:

TBD on the food spread as they were in the process of changing over.

The space is quite nice, and the work areas are solid, but I can see how this place would get slammed with people. I really liked the legacy FL self serve options.

I haven’t seen this discussed, but the sink situation seems a bit odd. I couldn’t get the water to come out at most sinks, and when it did, it created a massive mess between the washer and the dryer. (Maybe operator error )

And the space…

Great views.

A lot of different sitting areas.

Cold food spread.

Lunch?

Hot food, being taken away.

Current drinks on offer.

The workspaces are nice, though a bit awkward if using a computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.