Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŕ jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Sep 12, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: SQ*G BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
what???
I’ve gone there five times this month and only LPGS-Rona can’t lie to me

Sorry should have focused more on the bottle but you can see it in the background at 1 o’clock
Old Sep 12, 2023, 6:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Well. The secret is obviously out.

As mentioned above, they do and always have had some additional options. However, they are as mentioned ‘available at request’ and are not proactively mentioned unless for regular visitors / VIPs. If you visit often, are a VIP or tip well you’ll likely have been offered already.

This secrecy to be clear is from management. Often they will need to call and request these bottles; it is not from the team on the floor so do not hold any grudges against them.

My view on this, having consumed a bottle or two* is that these slightly more premium than lpgs bottles won’t stick around if they become common knowledge. So, personally I would advise any visitors here in our fT clan to go ahead and ask, however help the staff keep it somewhat on the ‘down-low’ by not announcing at volume X or Y champagne so that they don’t have to have any awkward moments as other pax (who may not have been informed kick up a fuss) as they will often tell people the ‘special’ is lpgs. Again, not their fault - blame management.

If the above irritates you, definitely send in your feedback, but let’s save the floor team from any awkward embarrassment where possible.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Well. The secret is obviously out.

As mentioned above, they do and always have had some additional options. However, they are as mentioned ‘available at request’ and are not proactively mentioned unless for regular visitors / VIPs. If you visit often, are a VIP or tip well you’ll likely have been offered already.

This secrecy to be clear is from management. Often they will need to call and request these bottles; it is not from the team on the floor so do not hold any grudges against them.

My view on this, having consumed a bottle or two* is that these slightly more premium than lpgs bottles won’t stick around if they become common knowledge. So, personally I would advise any visitors here in our fT clan to go ahead and ask, however help the staff keep it somewhat on the ‘down-low’ by not announcing at volume X or Y champagne so that they don’t have to have any awkward moments as other pax (who may not have been informed kick up a fuss) as they will often tell people the ‘special’ is lpgs. Again, not their fault - blame management.

If the above irritates you, definitely send in your feedback, but let’s save the floor team from any awkward embarrassment where possible.

“If you tip well”

FFS
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’m increasingly sure that whoever is running the Chelsea lounge was hired away from managing famed Manhattan banker nightclub OneOak.

From the inconsistent entry criteria to sometimes unprofessional staff to a policy of discriminating between customers to the odd choice of nightclub style champagne and tequila, this is exactly what the NYC high end nightlife scene is like.
ExpatExp and jjLDNY like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
“If you tip well”

FFS
Objectively the fastest way to become a recognizable regular, other than wearing a funny hat.

Anyway, a few may recall the back-and-forth a few pages back on the updated menu. I can confirm that the menu went partly through a renaming process, and partly in my opinion a downgrade. The steak is the same changing from steak frites to NY Strip steak frites, and the Lamb tagine to the braised lamb shank. Keen to see reports on the tagliatelle as I'm not big on pasta, but will likely try the sole or panisse on my return in a few days.

Cold poached shrimp and avocado roll. What can I say. Presentation aside, this was rather odd. Mashed avocado on the outside, cold small shrimp and some soft of Crčme fraîche on the inside. Wouldn't order again. Definitely inferior to the prawn cocktail in my opinion.

Jumbo lump crab cake. Visually more appealing than the alternative new protein starter. As mentioned previously, seems more like a pulled pork texture than crab (definitely not 'lump crab'), but with a crabby taste. Not bad, but by no means a reorder for me.

English pea soup. So this one was interesting. Visually pleasing. I mentioned this is an objectively niche choice of soup compared to a tomato soup (happy to reopen the debate) - they really should opt for a daily/weekly/monthly rotation. Anyway, what I didn't expect however, is that this soup is chilled. Furthermore, there are for some reason long strands of mushrooms, identical to those in the risotto. Mushroom toast seemed to be missing. Very strange combination; wouldn't order again.

Risotto. Visuals aside (as this was a smaller portion they prepared for me so perhaps it would look different - though, probably not given the only realistic change would be some garnish?) this was fine. If you like risotto this hits the spot, but again these long undercooked mushrooms only serve to provide texture. If they'd have fried them a little, would be a solid dish.

Overall for me it's a shame to lose the (albeit sometimes too saucy) prawn cocktail, the mushroom toast and the caesar. NY strip remains consistent.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:50 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
hope to see how this shakes out tomorrow at T5 on my flight to JFK.

i fully expect it to be from A10 though, so not really holding my breath for much.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jjLDNY

Objectively the fastest way to become a recognizable regular, other than wearing a funny hat.

I understand the value of tipping, thanks. I just don’t think I should need to be known as a good tipper in order to enjoy a glass of Krug when I’ve paid US$12000 for a first class flight. But hey ho. Each to their own.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:58 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I understand the value of tipping, thanks. I just don’t think I should need to be known as a good tipper in order to enjoy a glass of Krug when I’ve paid US$12000 for a first class flight. But hey ho. Each to their own.
If you've paid $12,000 for a BA F flight you deserve a drink to help you forget how much you've overpayed!

M
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
If you've paid $12,000 for a BA F flight you deserve a drink to help you forget how much you've overpayed!

M
A lot of my travel is booked very last minute. That is how BA makes quite a bit of its money and also how it is able to sell Ł2800 F tickets nine months in advance…..
EuropeanPete and ExpatExp like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
A lot of my travel is booked very last minute. That is how BA makes quite a bit of its money and also how it is able to sell Ł2800 F tickets nine months in advance…..
absolutely and given it’s typically $7-8k in business with similar lead times they are doing very well
Old Sep 13, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
As arrival?

I remember you could use the flagship as arrival lounge.. I will fly lhr to jfk in sep 23rd and arrive around 6pm in club. Can I use the Chelsea lounge as GGL with a guest if I book a flight to Tampa on delta later that day? No aa available
Old Sep 13, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
I remember you could use the flagship as arrival lounge.. I will fly lhr to jfk in sep 23rd and arrive around 6pm in club. Can I use the Chelsea lounge as GGL with a guest if I book a flight to Tampa on delta later that day? No aa available
No. You must be on AA or BA metal (Sorry hit reply too soon!) *for your connecting flight I think. The FL wasn’t an arrival lounge but you could use it off a domestic inbound flight.

Last edited by Always Somewhere Else; Sep 13, 2023 at 2:51 pm
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
Also arriving internationally would mean you have to clear immigration at JFK and then clear TSA in terminal 8 to visit the lounge. This would then be followed by reclearing TSA at terminal 4. Hardly seems worth it.
golfmad likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by c1223
Also arriving internationally would mean you have to clear immigration at JFK and then clear TSA in terminal 8 to visit the lounge. This would then be followed by reclearing TSA at terminal 4. Hardly seems worth it.
A good Steak and some champagne is definitely worse clearing security twice..
Arriving 5. 20 pm.. There is no later aa flight to TPA Mia or MCO that day. Omg
​​​
​​
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Tipping is not British custom, only American, so at the lounge for BA customers, I think, it
should respect this?
ExpatExp likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.