Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Gold
There’s definitely been text revisions in some places and not others. Eg on the lounge access page here its says the same as Markie reports: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...lounge-access: At 5,000 Tier Points (and 3,000 Tier Points each year thereafter) our Gold Executive Club Members and one guest have access to our Chelsea lounge at New York JFK Terminal 8 when travelling in First on a scheduled long-haul flight with British Airways, or a long-haul, transcontinental or international short-haul flight with American Airlines.

Customers flying with other oneworld airlines are unable to access this lounge.

However, on the lounge information page: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...mation/lounges it has the situation as I understood it with the addition of a helpful list of destinations that allowed access since I last looked:

The Chelsea lounge at New York JFK Terminal 8 is available for:
  • First customers travelling on a scheduled long-haul flight with British Airways, or a long-haul, transcontinental or international short-haul flight with American Airlines.
  • Gold Members with 5000 Tier points (and 3,000 Tier Points each year thereafter), travelling on a scheduled long-haul flight with British Airways, or a long-haul, transcontinental or international short-haul flight with American Airlines.
  • Over the age of 18 years, or if under 18 years you are accompanied by a responsible adult. (Local laws relating to the consumption of alcohol will apply.)
American Airlines transcontinental routes include:

New York (JFK) - Los Angeles (LAX)
New York (JFK) - San Francisco (SFO)
New York (JFK) - Orange County (SNA)
Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) - Honolulu (HNL)
Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) - Kona (KOA)
Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) - Maui (OGG)
Chicago (ORD) - Honolulu (HNL)
Charlotte (CLT) - Honolulu (HNL)

American Airlines International Shorthaul routes include :
Alberta
Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Aruba
Bahamas

Barbados
Bermuda
British Columbia
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Grenada and South Grenadines

Guadeloupe
Haiti
Jamaica
Manitoba
Martinique
Mexico
Montserrat
Netherlands Antilles

New Brunswick
Newfoundland and Labrador
Northwest Territories
Nova Scotia
Nunavut Territory
Ontario
Prince Edward Island
Puerto Rico

Quebec
Saskatchewan
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and North Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
U.S. Virgin Islands
Yukon Territory
American Airlines international short-haul routes include :

Alberta
Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Aruba
Bahamas
Barbados
Bermuda

British Columbia
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Grenada and South Grenadines

Guadeloupe
Haiti
Jamaica
Manitoba
Martinique
Mexico
Montserrat
Netherlands Antilles
New Brunswick
Newfoundland and Labrador

Northwest Territories
Nova Scotia
Nunavut Territory
Ontario
Prince Edward Island
Puerto Rico
Quebec
Saskatchewan
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia

St. Vincent and North Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
U.S. Virgin Islands
Yukon Territory

Customers flying with other oneworld airlines are unable to access the Chelsea lounge.

All lounge access is subject to capacity restrictions.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 2:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zen100
But that's not what it (now) says. Break down the sentance....

So if flying BA, you have to be flying First. No actual GGL benefit, since everyone flying First gets access
indeed. So which do you think is more likely? Poor drafting or that they are giving you access when you already have access in BA F?
Gastrocnemius and RichieMc like this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
indeed. So which do you think is more likely? Poor drafting or that they are giving you access when you already have access in BA F?
Agreed. It's clearly poor drafting. Otherwise the GGL "benefit" would be the same as the benefit for easyJet Plus and Bojangles Loyalty cardholders.

As an aside, my first real job was editing research written in English by foreign people. Some of it was pretty ropey, but this is just atrocious. And it's been festering there for a few weeks at least.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Well I believe it's more likely to be a drafting error.

But who knows. If denied access while travelling in Y/W/J, then one doesn't have much evidence to make the case they should be allowed in.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
You are all wrong, the intention is to align the benefits with top status Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer.

Which actually reminds me that calling a Kebab a Kabob is the worst thing about the USA.
There, I said it.

Even worse than having the plastic lid of a plastic coke bottle attached to the plastic ring below it.
There, I said that too.
Truthmonkey likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But that's not what it (now) says. Break down the sentance....

So if flying BA, you have to be flying First. No actual GGL benefit, since everyone flying First gets access

If you're not flying First, you have to be flying with AA.

I can't believe they've removed GGL access when flying BA. That would be barmy. This looks more like a screw-up in the wording. But worded as it is - flying Y/W/J on BA - no access for GGLs.

FFS, how hard can it be to word it correctly.
The First part, as worded, could apply both to the BA LH flights as well as the AA Transcon/LH/SH Intl flights. Very obviously poor drafting.
Not even sure why they need to separate out long haul and international short haul - just say transcontinental and international.
And why did they need to list all the Canadian provinces, instead of just Canada? The agents have to know that YYZ is in Ontario?? FFS.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Had the sole for lunch. Looks like theyve changed from earlier posts. It was very good, delicate texture, tasty and crisp on the outside. The underlying asparagus was overcooked.

Asked if I can take drinks into Soho and they said yes. So happily going back and forth, enjoying the Chelsea champagne with the Soho views.

Sole
seanp7 and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Markie
Looks like an update on BA GGL benefits page:

You can also take advantage of our exclusive Chelsea lounge at New York JFK Terminal 8 when you travel in First on a scheduled long-haul flight with British Airways, or a long-haul, transcontinental or international short-haul flight with American Airlines.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The First part, as worded, could apply both to the BA LH flights as well as the AA Transcon/LH/SH Intl flights. Very obviously poor drafting.
Not even sure why they need to separate out long haul and international short haul - just say transcontinental and international.
And why did they need to list all the Canadian provinces, instead of just Canada? The agents have to know that YYZ is in Ontario?? FFS.
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Agreed. It's clearly poor drafting. Otherwise the GGL "benefit" would be the same as the benefit for easyJet Plus and Bojangles Loyalty cardholders.

As an aside, my first real job was editing research written in English by foreign people. Some of it was pretty ropey, but this is just atrocious. And it's been festering there for a few weeks at least.
How many times did they change the wording about access from the lounge opening? Has any other AA, BA or other OW lounge been so complicated/unclear regarding access rules?
Old Aug 19, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Well I believe it's more likely to be a drafting error.

But who knows. If denied access while travelling in Y/W/J, then one doesn't have much evidence to make the case they should be allowed in.
I'll be at JFK twice onver the next couple of weeks (JFK-LAX in Y, JFK-LHR in J).
Let's see if they actually changed admission criteria.
Looks like a copy-paste error to me, but who knows...
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
Had the sole for lunch. Looks like theyve changed from earlier posts. It was very good, delicate texture, tasty and crisp on the outside. The underlying asparagus was overcooked.

Asked if I can take drinks into Soho and they said yes. So happily going back and forth, enjoying the Chelsea champagne with the Soho views.

Sole
IMHO that's a dreadful way to serve sole, Its a delicate fish and that tomato based stuff on top will overwhelm it.
What's this current fashion of piling all the elements of a dish on top of each other, like some culinary Jengo game?
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Visited the Chelsea lounge after a recent flagship first class transcontinental flight on AA.

No wait for the shower, and it actually had good ventilation/didn't steam up like a lot of lounge showers do. Both lounges were pretty empty, especially after the daytime flights to LHR left. I ordered the eggs benedict, which were excellent. Unfortunately the drip coffee was really bad (should have gotten an americano I guess). I ended up moving over to the Soho lounge for natural light/plane spotting. The Soho breakfast buffet looked pretty good (the fresh fruit was actually fresh).

My only issue with the Chelsea lounge is the lack of windows. The next time I visit I'll eat there and order champagne, then move over to the Soho lounge (depending on crowd levels).
Old Aug 22, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
The lounge space is pretty unimpressive and I hate the no-window setup, but the a-la-carte dining is pretty decent. I really enjoyed the lamb shank with couscous!!! I basically just had my dinner & shower and hopped over to Soho for drinks.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
The lounge space is pretty unimpressive and I hate the no-window setup, but the a-la-carte dining is pretty decent. I really enjoyed the lamb shank with couscous!!! I basically just had my dinner & shower and hopped over to Soho for drinks.
Hmm. Lamb Shank? It came with the bone? Or do you mean the braised lamb?

I would love for the menu to have changed. We're almost at the 12 month mark.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
As bad as ever tonight. Surly service at the tables. The bar man talked constantly at the top of his voice to the young lady he was training, mainly about customers stealing bottles of spirits and how to maximise break times.

It’s like a crap three star hotel.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Spent some time at the lounge last night after LHR-JFK AA F. Visit was uneventful and as expected. I just wanted to get home at that point.

As others have noted, the menu has been modified a bit (), however multiple items were out of stock (). LPGS was the managers special champagne. I spotted a bottle of Krug at the bar, however it was empty and they didnt have any other ones handy. No wine card offered (I vaguely recall getting one on my last visit).

The bartender provided attentive surface throughout the stay and swung by the back seating area shortly after we sat down. That said, tough to manage those seats and the bar when most seats are taken. Dining area looked stacked.

Gaining entry was a process. I felt like a GGL member and reaffirmed why I am on the (potentially fruitless) quest for CK.

Took a while as I accidentally tossed my inbound BP and the AA app wasnt working for this trip. I figured it would be easy enough to look up as the qualifying flight was on the same record, but that proved quite challenging. I had a pdf of the ticket that I downloaded via the BA app (couldnt collect on mobile), however that was not sufficient. It all worked out, but not the most premium experience as it seems like certain agents are trained to deny access by default.

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
As bad as ever tonight. Surly service at the tables. The bar man talked constantly at the top of his voice to the young lady he was training, mainly about customers stealing bottles of spirits and how to maximise break times.

Its like a crap three star hotel.
Id love to know how customers there can lift bottles! Reminiscent of the former waiter at FFD.

Latest menu. Can anyone guess the three items out of stock

Tagliatelle. Not bad, however I made a very similar dish at home last week and it was a tad better.
jjLDNY likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.