Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŕ jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Arjaysee
I was in the Chelsea lounge last night (GGL flying in C). I have to say that it was a very pleasant experience. There were a few teething ztroubles with speedy food service, and the information boards weren't displaying correct info, but generally a very comfortable ambience and not at all crowded. Oh, and the Krug was very nice
Thanks loads for the update- I think you are the first real, genuine passenger reporting having been!
Did you get anything to eat? Was it good?
Is the fireplace in yet?

....did you tip...???
orbitmic and ryanbriar like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: BA
So many questions. Yes I ate, and the food was actually very good. Went for the soup and chicken (they had run out of steak frites otherwise would have given that a go). No evidence of a fireplace, but the 'living wall' things were pretty cool. And there was zero evidence of any tipping going on, so I elected not to set a precedent ;-).

I had a nosy around the Soho lounge as well, which was also a very nice space, but SIGNIFICANTLY busier!
Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
So many questions. Yes I ate, and the food was actually very good. Went for the soup and chicken (they had run out of steak frites otherwise would have given that a go). No evidence of a fireplace, but the 'living wall' things were pretty cool. And there was zero evidence of any tipping going on, so I elected not to set a precedent ;-).

I had a nosy around the Soho lounge as well, which was also a very nice space, but SIGNIFICANTLY busier!
Sort of welcome to Flyertalk Arjaysee and to the BA forum, and I think you can proudly add "First JFK Chelsea Lounge Flyertalk reviewer" to your signature for posterity!! Thanks for the report!
Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR

I'll second that , thanks for the report! Good to hear it's up and running. I really never expected It to open on time, but there were go.

Glad to hear it was quiet, I had thought it would be pretty quiet.

Can't wait to see it in person in 4 weeks or so, when we go end of the month.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci

Fantastic, thank you so much!
You made it to the rank of official FT BAEC legend in 3 posts!
C
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Markie
I have read reports (cannot find now) that GGL are being turned away due to AA implementing ConciergeKey policies in respect of flight type. This limits CK access when not travelling F or international.
Hopefully just an error on first day!
Travelling there on 8th so hopefully all sorted!
I guess I'm not understanding why there's the expectation that GGL should have access to Chelsea when not on an international AA/BA itinerary. The prior set-up only got you into CCR on a JFK-LHR flight, and you still get the equivalent of that PLUS access on any other ex-JFK long-hauls (of which there are fewer of than 10 years ago, and even fewer that would make logistical sense originating in LHR unless you need to intentionally stop over in JFK). So if they match the CK access policy, you're still coming out ahead. And isn't GGL easier to get than CK anyway?
Old Dec 2, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I'm pretty confident GGL flying DOM AA, will get access.

The GGL/SS agent at the CCR a couple weeks back was quite adamant that would be the case.

I suspect the access rules will get ironed out over next couple weeks and soon won't be any issue.

Edit to add : the agent I mention is moving to/ has already moved to the Chelsea lounge.
Football Fan likes this.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Dec 2, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Old Dec 2, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
GGL get access to CCR on UK domestic and short haul flights, so given the co-location and branding and capacity issues being ok, I would expect to get access as a GGL on a US domestic itinerary only as well.

i had a LAX-JFK the other week and when i went to the gate boarding was already happening but there was an AAgent with an ipad with my name on it. when she pulled me to the front to board me she asked "what did you do to be a BA VIP exactly?" as in she was actually interested. now if AA regards me that way on flights, then it would be confusing why we would be excluded from this lounge too.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I guess I'm not understanding why there's the expectation that GGL should have access to Chelsea when not on an international AA/BA itinerary?
because that’s what BA mention on their own website when describing GGL benefits as linked in the main “move” thread?
Old Dec 2, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH

Old Dec 2, 2022, 3:04 pm

Old Dec 2, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
I have infiltrated the FB group so am keeping my eye open there for any updates on this.

If anyone does make it over to JFK, whether on an international, flagship or domestic please do ask the GGL + domestic entry question.

I have cancelled my scenic trip tomorrow to avoid being stuck in the Soho lounge, but will book as soon as it seems this is all cleared up to provide me esteemed review (especially on the Chaise Longues). Otherwise it'll have to wait until the 19th when I fly back to London.

@carat22 if these are real-time do see if there's any update!
Football Fan likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 3:15 pm

Will ask now
Football Fan and jjLDNY like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I guess I'm not understanding why there's the expectation that GGL should have access to Chelsea when not on an international AA/BA itinerary. The prior set-up only got you into CCR on a JFK-LHR flight, and you still get the equivalent of that PLUS access on any other ex-JFK long-hauls (of which there are fewer of than 10 years ago, and even fewer that would make logistical sense originating in LHR unless you need to intentionally stop over in JFK). So if they match the CK access policy, you're still coming out ahead. And isn't GGL easier to get than CK anyway?
Actually any Oneworld flight leaving terminal 7 in any class gave you access to CCR as stated, even if CCR staff took a little to realize it when the policy came out

As a US based GGL and former CCRCH I expect (expect? no, demand) to be able to drink 2 bottles if Krug -or similar- and camp in the Chelsea lounge whenever I decide to fly even JFK-PHL (or BUF, if it even existed on AA)
And besides my maybe exorbitant ego, my reasons are pretty simple: I am US based and I don’t get to spend as much time in the CCR in LHR as I would like, so this way I am getting my 5000+ annual TP worth it
You may ask me if I find rhe exclusion of CCK unjust and petty. Maybe I do, but it is no reason to exclude ME, a loyal GGL for years
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
Actually any Oneworld flight leaving terminal 7 in any class gave you access to CCR as stated, even if CCR staff took a little to realize it when the policy came out

As a US based GGL and former CCRCH I expect (expect? no, demand) to be able to drink 2 bottles if Krug -or similar- and camp in the Chelsea lounge whenever I decide to fly even JFK-PHL (or BUF, if it even existed on AA)
And besides my maybe exorbitant ego, my reasons are pretty simple: I am US based and I don’t get to spend as much time in the CCR in LHR as I would like, so this way I am getting my 5000+ annual TP worth it
You may ask me if I find rhe exclusion of CCK unjust and petty. Maybe I do, but it is no reason to exclude ME, a loyal GGL for years
I'm not quite sure if there's a genuine message being conveyed behind this. I'd like to think your fighting for us US based GGLs!

Given the logic of how GGL provides unlimited access to the CCR if flying from T5 in Y to some place 1hr away, I see no difference to why it would be treated differently in the US (where there are fewer GGLs to take advantage of their earned benefit).

To isolate CKs for a moment, they didn't have unlimited access to the FFD, they had 1-2 passes a year to use to access it so it makes complete sense they wouldn't have the same treatment as a GGL does to the 'new' CCR labeled as the Chelsea.

Also on the GGL vs CK thing. There was a comment here about how easy GGL may be to earn vs CK, and whilst it's irrelevant to this current dilemma, for the traditional traveler that isn't 'optimizing trips' or doing 'points runs' to get an invite to CK or earn 5000TPs they'd both be looking at between $40-70k in spend. Can GGL be acquired for <$10k? Absolutely, but it's besides the point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.