Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Anyone know the beers they are stocking yet?

The old flagship, up until recently, used to have Guinness and the FFD used to have a couple local beers and IPAs as well

Champagne not really my thing, but willing to try when we are there next.....
Old Dec 1, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
In one of the external links, there is a photo of the Chelsea lounge cabinet, I can't remember the whole thing (there was one Bordeaux, one Alsace Gewurztraminer etc) but nothing that looked particulalrly amazing from those I could decipher.
This is the Chelsea one...

Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tom Otley
This is the Chelsea one...
Many thanks Tom! I remembered it wrong, it was an Alsace Riesling not a Gewurztraminer! The Chapelle d'Alienor is a very average Bordeaux Superieur (though it belongs to the excellent and prestigious Chateau La Gaffeliere in St Emilion) and that Miraval is quite a tragic sight. In short, if that's all we can expect, I'll personally probably stick to Champagne and cocktails!
nakedgrape likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:13 pm

I think the cocktails will be great - and of course you can always order a personal favourite.

My observation of being in US airport lounges is the cocktails are incredibly strong - more than half and half in the case of G&T.

Going back to the wines, I would say that a fair bit of what we saw was still being tweaked, so the wines etc... may change, just as not all the furnishings were in place when we were there (the fireplace, for instance).

These were the reds in the Concorde Room the night it closed...

Red wines, Concorde Room JFK
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by orbitmic
How so? I have counted those served as parts of the flights indeed when counting 14 Champagne and 3 sparkling wine. For completeness sake, the full list as I make it ordered in a hopefully sensible way:

CHAMPAGNE:

Blanc:
1. Moet&Chandon Nectar Imperial
2. Moet&Chandon Brut
3. Moet&Chandon Ice Imperial
4. Ruinart Blanc de Blanc*
5. Krug Grande Cuvee*
6. Lanson Black Label
7. Laurent Perrier La Cuvee
8. Jacquesson Extra Brut*
9. Laurent Perrier Ultra Brut*
10. Nicolas Feuillatte Terroir Premier Cru
11. Heidseck Extra Dry
12. Veuve Clicquot Demi-sec

Rose:
13. Moet&Chandon Rose
14. Billecart Salmon Rose

OTHER SPARKLING WINES

1. Gruet Brut (New Mexico)
2. Giuliana Prosecco (Italy)
3. Nyetimber Classic Cuvee (England)
I would be careful listing them out like this. Some of us see this as a challenge. @orbitmic's Chelsea Bubbles challenge perhaps?
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
I would be careful listing them out like this. Some of us see this as a challenge. @orbitmic's Chelsea Bubbles challenge perhaps?
as long as the challenge is “try 14 different Champagne across 14 different visits you are good! for the records, I always limit myself to one or at most two glasses of anything alcoholic for any one trip (including lounge and onboard). 😇 And I do agree US lounges tend to be heavy handed on spirits in cocktails (I’ll admit the cynic in me assumes it is to get better tips as many seem to assume it means being “better” served!)
wrp96 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:49 pm

Well... I think you're right.

In the executive lounge at the NYC hotel, soft drinks were free, alcoholic drinks were extremely expensive.

Yet if you ordered wine, you got more than half a pint of white or red, and the spirits were poured very generously. So drinks like G&T were stronger even than most would have them at home.

Being British, I went from resenting paying in the lounge, to thinking 'How much? What a rip off' when I looked at the prices, to leaving a large tip!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm really looking forward to some day one reports and pictures. Crazy to think that with the exception of the first three posts, everything else so far has been about the champagne, wine and beer choices. No wonder people think we're a boozy lot
EuropeanPete and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 3:04 pm

Fair comment, yes. We tried samples of some of the food, and it was lovely, but I'm vegetarian, and not a food expert, so it will be good to see what others think. And in the Soho lounge there wasn't any food but that buffet station should be set up tonight so then we'll see...
orbitmic and cbyrne92 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 3:19 pm

Just to confirm - Do we know if it's fully operational? My finger is on the trigger to book something out of JFK on Saturday if so.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Just to confirm - Do we know if it's fully operational? My finger is on the trigger to book something out of JFK on Saturday if so.
Yes it is.
orbitmic and jjLDNY like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 4:51 pm

Alright, trigger pulled for Saturday. I'm still not sure we have confirmed that final detail on whether we can use the lounges on arrival for domestics like we could FL. If anyone does happen to find out do let us know, otherwise I will check on Saturday as currently I'm set to arrive back in JFK.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, United Premier Silver; Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist

Good look at the lounges and potential update to the Champaign Menu after the press day
Old Dec 1, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Tom Otley
Being British, I went from resenting paying in the lounge, to thinking 'How much? What a rip off' when I looked at the prices, to leaving a large tip!
This raises an interesting question — it’s a shared lounge so is the tipping expectation British or American? What was the tipping custom or expectation in JFK T7 in the past?
Old Dec 1, 2022, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Geordie405
I'm really looking forward to some day one reports and pictures. Crazy to think that with the exception of the first three posts, everything else so far has been about the champagne, wine and beer choices. No wonder people think we're a boozy lot
Well, that plus I suppose it's a fairly objective way to assess how "premium" AA/BA will be treating these lounges, at least in terms of the price points of the alcohol on offer. A bit harder to say on the food, at least until we get numerous reports of the quality/quantity, but that's still more objective. (Though to be fair, AA's Flagship First Dining had a very strong reputation for quality, and I assume it's effectively the same operation here, albeit on a larger scale.)
Geordie405 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.