Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old May 20, 2024, 7:26 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The lounge was pretty empty tonight (Monday around 8:30pm)
Had the steak and asked for it with fries, as delicious as the old steak frites.
Dom was the special champagne on offer

Was a pleasant visit, save for the man having an obnoxiously loud phone call at the bar. People in the dining room could hear him clearly. I really dont get how people dont have even the slightest self awareness of when to speak a little quieter, especially in a lounge as silent as Chelsea
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by S.R
The lounge was pretty empty tonight (Monday around 8:30pm)
Had the steak and asked for it with fries, as delicious as the old steak frites.
Dom was the special champagne on offer

Was a pleasant visit, save for the man having an obnoxiously loud phone call at the bar. People in the dining room could hear him clearly. I really dont get how people dont have even the slightest self awareness of when to speak a little quieter, especially in a lounge as silent as Chelsea
Some peoples lack of self awareness, manners, etiquette is staggering. Its a problem in every premium lounge in the world right now (save for Japan, of course, which remains a unique example of sophisticated courtesy and well enforced rules).

All that said, whoever designed the Chelsea did so without any understanding of this problem. The layout and the materials used make this space the worst I have come across for intrusive noises. Truly style over substance and appearance over utility.
Old May 24, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL
It's become really tiring that the lounge agents still don't know the access rules. I don't know what pops up on their screen but they were adamant they weren't going to let me in on a JFK-MEX itinerary. Last time I checked that counted as an international short-haul flight. First world problems and all but if I know more about the access rules than the agents guarding the door then there's issues (whether I'm the one with issues or whether it's BA/AA remains to be seen).
orbitmic and Sandy Hopper like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by c1223
It's become really tiring that the lounge agents still don't know the access rules. I don't know what pops up on their screen but they were adamant they weren't going to let me in on a JFK-MEX itinerary. Last time I checked that counted as an international short-haul flight. First world problems and all but if I know more about the access rules than the agents guarding the door then there's issues (whether I'm the one with issues or whether it's BA/AA remains to be seen).
Weird. The BA website is crystal clear now and I had no issue getting in on JFK-MEX a few months ago. Was this a BA agent or an AA agent?
Old May 24, 2024, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by spanishflea
Weird. The BA website is crystal clear now and I had no issue getting in on JFK-MEX a few months ago. Was this a BA agent or an AA agent?
Both. I eventually dug my LHR - JFK boarding card out of my bag because I really couldn't be bothered with an argument.
Old May 24, 2024, 7:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Excited the NY Strip is back and not super sized. Last time had it was perfectly cooked medium rare but it was an enormous 14oz piece. Well you are having a NY Strip.

Tonight is 2 smaller cuts, perfect for getting on a flight. However medium rare tonight is turning into a mastication marathon. Im still going at one piece since I started writing this. Perhaps more like NY Jerky. Good job the mash is well mashed.
Sandy Hopper likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 7:25 pm

Temperature control still all over the place though. AC on targeting about 21.5C. Restaurant area definitely warmer than the bar. Fire is still on full blaze.

Also the music seems to be quieter the busier it gets, so does nothing to help with the atrocious acoustics of the place.
Old May 25, 2024, 3:06 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
Excited the NY Strip is back and not super sized. Last time had it was perfectly cooked medium rare but it was an enormous 14oz piece. Well you are having a NY Strip.

Tonight is 2 smaller cuts, perfect for getting on a flight. However medium rare tonight is turning into a mastication marathon. Im still going at one piece since I started writing this. Perhaps more like NY Jerky. Good job the mash is well mashed.
I had this 2 weeks ago, and it was not too big size and was medium cooked. It was soft, but after tasting the one at the Conrad Maldives the week before, it did not manage to beat the one from Conrad from both taste and "cut resistence "
I ordered it without fries, just the meat.

Cheers!

Last edited by nldogbert; May 25, 2024 at 3:46 am
Old May 25, 2024, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I ordered it without fries, just the meat.
It doesn't come with fries (unless you specifically request some), but with a fairly uninteresting/watery mash, some spinach and some jus.
Old May 26, 2024, 5:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAS Silver
Was hoping to find an affordable upgrade to F transiting at JFK to LHR to enter Chelsea. Told the flight was full so no upgrades available 45 seconds later as the lady at the Soho desk taps away at her computer she tells me flight is not full, its overbooked, and Ive been upgraded complimentary. Wow, never happened before! This is only my second visit to Chelsea and I understand the regulars wanting windows, but tonight, even though its rather busy Im not disturbed by any conversations, staff is great and food too. So far had the crab cake and the shrimp&grapefruit. Also having the bartenders sort me out with some classic cocktails that they normally dont serve but got the stuff to do, they follow my instructions to get them exactly like I want them, and seem excited about it (as an ex bartender I wouldnt do this unless I felt they had the time and also the mood to do it and they seem excited to try some new stuff too)
would have loved some Cristal (or Krug) but told its only LPGS tonight (still a $200 a bottle retail champagne, and one of my personal favourites). Keeping my fingers crossed there might be another bottle coming along though.
So, to summarise, for the regulars this might feel a bit cramped and they might get bored by the food. For us occasional visitors, this is definitely something to look forward to and enjoy, with great staff and food way above the regular AA admirals lounges or the BA LHR galleries or galleries First lounges.
Old May 26, 2024, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Not sure the fireplace was necessary this evening, but staff floating around and zero complaints.

I bumped into some friends who'd never been in, and were very impressed by the elegance - albeit they did ask where the windows were!

M
ryanbriar and SwedeT like this.
Old Jun 2, 2024, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Had my first visit to the Chelsea lounge today. Two overwhelming thoughts - its a overheated windowless soulless rectangle, and the noise from the dishwasher at the bar is ridiculous. The fire was blasting out heat this morning, nice to look at but definitely not required.

With that said, it was quiet with only five people, plus myself and the better half, in there.

Breakfast was OK. It was a plus that they had gluten free bread for toast, but enoki mushrooms in an omelette is a food poncyfication too far, and the latte was as weak as dishwater barely tasting of coffee. Nice bacon though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.