Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
It's a hugely fashionable dish at the moment, despite its relative low cost (see below photo from a Michelin stared chefs new restaurant)
M
...oook...

Sorry, I'm italian, this "fashionable thing" for a dish like that is making me giggle

PS
That one in the photo doesn't actually resemble a Milanese... just a single breaded & fried some-cut-of-meat
Football Fan and EuropeanPete like this.

Last edited by Lefly; Apr 22, 2024 at 8:52 am
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
As one of the bigger pessimists on the thread, this menu is very good and the steak making a comeback is incredible news given the suggestion it wouldn't be back. Though I can imagine it was on the top of the feedback list alongside entry and champagne.

Who is going to brave the Shrimp and Grapefruit salad for us? I'll be back in a week for the challenge.
Ewww doesn't sound good but I will maybe at least order it on Thursday this week for the photo opp. And then taste it very gingerly..
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Who is going to brave the Shrimp and Grapefruit salad for us? I'll be back in a week for the challenge.
I did wonder when I saw that combination listed. Though I recall the previous prawn starter had a vanilla bean undercurrent so form on flavour combinations.....

Last edited by aks120; Apr 22, 2024 at 10:39 am Reason: Fixed quote
Old Apr 22, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
As one of the bigger pessimists on the thread, this menu is very good and the steak making a comeback is incredible news given the suggestion it wouldn't be back. Though I can imagine it was on the top of the feedback list alongside entry and champagne.

The shrimp is on my list for next week.

Originally Posted by Lefly
...oook...

Sorry, I'm italian, this "fashionable thing" for a dish like that is making me giggle

PS
That one in the photo doesn't actually resemble a Milanese... just a single breaded & fried some-cut-of-meat
Yes, it was on par with a good chicken cutlet at a deli. I’d consider putting that chicken on the Caesar salad if it was still on the menu.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 9:54 am

Programs: Mucci, Untappd 8000+
One for the team:

Is the shrimp cocktail from the 80s l keep romanticizing about making a comeback?
This version doesn’t seem to come with that sauce.
For purists.

seanp7 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Given the steak is back on the menu, do you think there’s any chance the kitchen would do an off-menu steak and eggs for breakfast, or is it a strict “what you see is all you’ll get”?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:23 am

Programs: Mucci, Untappd 8000+
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Given the steak is back on the menu, do you think there’s any chance the kitchen would do an off-menu steak and eggs for breakfast, or is it a strict “what you see is all you’ll get”?
I have talked to the chef.
My bartender even suggested that.
He seemed very open to customizing orders.
Cannot hurt to ask.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sandy Hopper
I have talked to the chef.
My bartender even suggested that.
He seemed very open to customizing orders.
Cannot hurt to ask.
Thanks, I’m there in a few weeks so will give it a go!
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I've had it in the past (it's been there before). As somebody who loves shrimps, who loves grapefruits, and who loves avocado, I thought they managed to make it very dull sadly and with too much lettuce when I had it, but the photo above looks a bit different so maybe they improved it.

Re-Milanese, ok:

- Costoletta alla Milanese: Italian, always veal, normally bone in chop flattened, panure a l'anglaise (ie flour, egg, breadcrumbs), always panfried fried in butter

- Milanese: That's normally the name of the Latin American version (originally Argentinian) and very popular there. Typically made with beef, only breadcrumbs, normally deepfried in oil

- Weinerschnitzel: very similar to the Costoletta and also panure a l'angalise, but always boneless, also veal and also ideally suckling veal (Wiener art is used when referring to the cheaper version made with pork). Normally served with a half lemon, parsley boiled potatoes or (especially in Germany) potato-cucumber salad and cranberry compote.

- Schnitzel: the Israeli version of the schnitzel made with chicken breast or sometimes turkey, not necessarily flattened, bredcrumbs only like the Argentinian Milanese

To me the "Milanese" label sounds more like the Argentinian inspiration (rather than the Italian one), but the chicken and thickness seem more inspired by the Israeli version.
msm2000uk and Sandy Hopper like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Apr 23, 2024 at 10:47 am
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Sandy Hopper
One for the team:

Is the shrimp cocktail from the 80s l keep romanticizing about making a comeback?
This version doesn’t seem to come with that sauce.
For purists.

is that a shrimp cocktail or a salad?

By the way, do they have any prosecco at the bar? I'm quite the scandal for the people here, I suppose, but lately I think I could prefer prosecco to champagne
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC

By the way, do they have any prosecco at the bar? I'm quite the scandal for the people here, I suppose, but lately I think I could prefer prosecco to champagne
I think you should repost the above comment here:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads...litist.249948/
ps9a likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:19 pm
H2L

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I've had it in the past (it's been there before). As somebody who loves shrimps, who loves grapefruits, and who loves avocado, I thought they managed to make it very dull sadly and with too much lettuce when I had it, but the photo above looks a bit different so maybe they improved it.
I also took one for the team. I actually enjoyed the muted flavours. Not a choice I would have made without the soft challenge! The grapefruit was not at all tart (been scarred by UK experiences), the shrimps were clean and crisp, and the avocado at the bottom absorbed a little of the grapefruit making an enjoyable taste...And hardly any lettuce! I would make the choice again.

No problem with champagne availability either. Each guest received the same answer - "Kristal is our signature champagne today". However, for me, the Kristal along with the Dom from my previous visit) is not yet replacing the sorely-missed LPGS in my happy place. I fear that having been brought to champagne by BA in the last few years, my tastebuds will always remain loyal to my first love..

Another change for the better is the new management team. There seems to be a silver-haired manager and a stylish maitre d' with a neat line in tailored waistcoats. Both glide between bar and restaurant, greeting guests and exuding a calm control.

Very soothing relaxed experience. Look forward to the next visit.
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...oook...

Sorry, I'm italian,
Well, I stopped reading there.
You and your silly immutable culinary rules. Like no cheese on seafood and no cappuccino after 10am.
HOW ABOUT SOME SHRIMP PARMESEAN?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:18 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by orbitmic

Re-Milanese, ok:

- Costoletta alla Milanese: Italian, always veal, normally bone in chop flattened, panure a l'anglaise (ie flour, egg, breadcrumbs), always panfried fried in butter

- Milanese: That's normally the name of the Latin American version (originally Argentinian) and very popular there. Typically made with beef, only breadcrumbs, normally deepfried in oil

- Weinerschnitzel: very similar to the Costoletta and also panure a l'angalise, but always boneless, also veal and also ideally suckling veal (Wiener art is used when referring to the cheaper version made with pork). Normally served with a half lemon, parsley boiled potatoes or (especially in Germany) potato-cucumber salad and cranberry compote.

- Schnitzel: the Israeli version of the schnitzel made with chicken breast or sometimes turkey, not necessarily flattened, bredcrumbs only like the Argentinian Milanese

To me the "Milanese" label sounds more like the Argentinian inspiration (rather than the Italian one), but the chicken and thickness seem more inspired by the Israeli version.
Anyone else now hungry, or just me 😀

M
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, I stopped reading there.
You and your silly immutable culinary rules. Like no cheese on seafood and no cappuccino after 10am.
HOW ABOUT SOME SHRIMP PARMESEAN?
LOL. Well, I had a "carbonara squid" in a little nice restaurant with "experimental" recipes in my hometown and it was great! And the cappuccino limit is 11am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I think you should repost the above comment here:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads...litist.249948/
Should I have used this to better show I was writing jokingly?
(apart form the preference for Prosecco )

PS - OT
I'm the only one not getting notification of quotes anymore?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.