Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŗ jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by seanp7
I didn't realize AA Int'l F didn't serve LPGS anymore - I don't fly them.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
AA F hasnít served it in a few years I think and internationally they have nearly the same Intíl F capacity as BA (3 to LHR plus I believe a couple other destinations) plus all the LAX/SFO F flights where I think at best they get Lanson, lol. Oh and all the pesky BA GGLs
  • Almost everyone using this lounge will have LPGS in the air. Why not have cases and cases of it like the LHR CCR?
I think we all know the answer - cost. I know this is a small issue in the scheme of things but it's an annoying one when requests are denied.
I think itís amazing that anyone expects to be served (or remembers being served) LPGS in the air by AA.

Last edited by ps9a; Nov 11, 2023 at 9:40 pm
Old Nov 13, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Good visit to Chelsea today. Steak frites were excellent.

Krug was flowing, bar tender made it clear to try and hide it, pouring the glass in the fridge unit. Weird thing was that the couple next to me, who heard me order Krug just whispered the "Moet champagne please". I guess if the Krug becomes too free and easy then Moet looks like the secret bottle Or people just have no clue.

While the lounge is not bad, but not great, who on earth deigned the bathroom taps!

KF
Your welcome, I was there on the 8th and the Steak Frites were horrible. (tasted like an $8 steak and came out medium well/well done instead of medium rare) I made a mention to let the chef know. It looks like they listened

Krug, LPGS and Dom all were available for drinking. Someone had finished the Runiart earlier that day which is too bad because I actually never had tried that before.

Crab Cakes were excellent.

Bartender who works Thu-Mon she is very good.
seanp7 and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 2:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
From yesterday

Koru Flyer and crazy8534 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, also valid. But then how many F destinations + flights does LHR have (hence my cases comment)? (That was sort of my point). But granted, it's probably AA drAAgging Chelsea down. I didn't realize AA Int'l F didn't serve LPGS anymore - I don't fly them.
Assuming you mean how many Flagship First (FF) destinations/flights AA has from JFK?
Looks like currently they have 3 daily to LHR, and 1 daily to DEL. Until recently they also served DOH. Those are all 77W with 8F. BA has ~9x daily, also mostly with 8F bar the occasional swap. I guess a few less than I thought on AA and a few more on BA.
But then also there are ~9x daily on AA to LAX, 4x to SFO, and 1x to SNA (Orange County, CA) with FF, on the 321 with 10F suites.
So roughly, 162 daily departing F seats eligible for Chelsea on AA metal vs. 72 F on BA. Could also be someone flying to GRU/EZE via MIA which each have FF 1x daily (they fly nonstop to GRU/EZE but no FF).
And then anyone arriving on AA from those domestic FF destinations can access and use Chelsea. And of course any connecting pax, including inbound from LHR on either AA/BA.

Probably fair to say that at least for now, the preponderance of Chelsea customers do NOT get LPGS on board.
seanp7 and madmanshoney like this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Just got Chelsea. I donít even drink but thought Iíd take one for the team. Asked for Dom or Krug. Came back after checking with head bar person and said they had none. Not 2 minutes later, some guy comes up and asks for champagne and is proactively offered Dom.

So I go up and ask and get a massive apology about a misunderstanding which I think was genuine and thereís a new lady working the floor. Sheís offered to keep a half bottle stashed away for me 😂. Said that wasnít necessary and half a glass would be more than enough.

Don't think Iíve had any champagne since new year 2005 or something. After tasing Dom, canít say I miss it. The things I go through for you guysÖ.

EDIT to add that the steak which was ace last 2 times in September and October was pretty bad today. Thinner. Tougher. And maybe the faintest hint of herb butter. Now drinking my sorrows away with a virgin mojito.

Last edited by RichieMc; Nov 14, 2023 at 1:14 pm
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:23 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I am a regular visitor to the Chelsea lounge. I often ask the staff if they are being treated well. Normally they say yes.

On this weekís visit, however, I was told by the wait staff that:
  • There is a new manager/supervisor
  • he is making the Chelsea staffís work schedules unpredictable and often changing, which I know for hourly workers can make life difficult
  • he is threatening to move a number of Chelsea lounge staff to other lounges.
The Chelsea staff are still hard working and eager to please ó I had a good visit, enjoyed my rare steak with claret/Bordeaux, and I know enough now (thanks to this thread) to ask for my preferred champagne by label.

Is there anyone I can reach out to who could help improve the working conditions of the Chelsea wait staff?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I am a regular visitor to the Chelsea lounge. I often ask the staff if they are being treated well. Normally they say yes.

• he is making the Chelsea staffís work schedules unpredictable and often changing, which I know for hourly workers can make life difficult
The Chelsea staff are still hard working and eager to please ó I had a good visit, enjoyed my rare steak, and I know enough now (thanks to this thread) to ask for my preferred champagne by label.

Is there anyone I can reach out to who could help improve the working conditions of the Chelsea wait staff?
I wouldn't get involved. The team could do with some stronger management and direction ... and if needed changes ... given the regular slips taking place (of which only a fraction will be reported on this forum)
EuropeanPete and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: British Airways
Was offered Dom in the dinning area on Monday and noticed latter on that Krug was been served at the Bar.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
A friend asked me which lounge she should go to when flying out of JFK next week and with the convoluted rules AA/BA have around Chelsea/Soho/Greenwich Iím not sure what to tell her.

Sheís an AS OWE travelling JFK-ORD on AA in Y and then connecting (the next day) to a JL flight in F.

Would she have access to the Chelsea lounge when her JL F flight isnít departing until the next day? Itís all on one (AA issued) ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
A friend asked me which lounge she should go to when flying out of JFK next week and with the convoluted rules AA/BA have around Chelsea/Soho/Greenwich Iím not sure what to tell her.

Sheís an AS OWE travelling JFK-ORD on AA in Y and then connecting (the next day) to a JL flight in F.

Would she have access to the Chelsea lounge when her JL F flight isnít departing until the next day? Itís all on one (AA issued) ticket.
It definitely needs to be same-day, so I don't think she'd have any lounge access in JFK.
And even then, I'm not entirely sure if JL F qualifies for Chelsea, probably would be Soho.
KARFA and revorgap like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Well... this really doesn't have anything to do with BA but... by my math should would not have any lounge access at all at JFK (though an agent could certainly make an exception out of kindness).

The OneWorld guidelines for accessing (whether by status or by class of service) state:

"Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights: First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 06:00am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa)."

So assuming she is not connecting in ORD before 6AM and she is an AS OWE (i.e. not non-US based OWE), I don't believe she would have any access in JFK (not even Admiral's Club). She will of course have Flagship Lounge access in ORD prior to departing on the JL flight.

Regards
revorgap likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
A friend asked me which lounge she should go to when flying out of JFK next week and with the convoluted rules AA/BA have around Chelsea/Soho/Greenwich I’m not sure what to tell her.

She’s an AS OWE travelling JFK-ORD on AA in Y and then connecting (the next day) to a JL flight in F.

Would she have access to the Chelsea lounge when her JL F flight isn’t departing until the next day? It’s all on one (AA issued) ticket.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It definitely needs to be same-day, so I don't think she'd have any lounge access in JFK.
And even then, I'm not entirely sure if JL F qualifies for Chelsea, probably would be Soho.
Yes JL First doesn't qualify for Chelsea even if the passenger is a AA CKEY or BA GGL so your friend would be directed to Soho even at the best case.
The flight in order to access Chelsea must be operated by AA or BA.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by takemetothebeach
I wouldn't get involved. The team could do with some stronger management and direction ... and if needed changes ... given the regular slips taking place (of which only a fraction will be reported on this forum)

There are a couple of excellent staff in the CL but overall the team is way, way below where it should be and one staff member in particular is a disgrace. I would not get involved. Frankly, it is not appropriate for the staff to even be discussing this with customers.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K

The Chelsea staff are still hard working and eager to please ó I had a good visit, enjoyed my rare steak with claret/Bordeaux, and I know enough now (thanks to this thread) to ask for my preferred champagne by label.

There are a couple of excellent staff in the CL but overall the team is way, way below where it should be and one staff member in particular is a disgrace. I would not get involved. Frankly, it is not appropriate for the staff to even be discussing this with customers.
clearedforlanding likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Pretty quiet right now. Not the fastest of staff for maybe 10 or so people, 6-7 in the dining area.

Does anyone actually eat those packets of cauliflower?
Thought the asparagus was bad, but then it vanished and the apricots appeared.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.