Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Nov 9, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: Some
Presumably the Dom is for use only if AA/BA airline execs are traveling through the lounge?

What a complete and utter joke.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:00 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by clearedforlanding
Another visit to Chelsea. Another Champagne shuffle. "What champagne do you have?" "Moet this, that, the other". Hmm. "Krug?". Low and behold, without a word, a bottle appears and is poured discreetly under the bar. Wouldn't want any of the less valuable customers to see. Don't ask don't get policy is in force tonight. Level up challenge is to get them to open the Dom I see in another fridge.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Presumably the Dom is for use only if AA/BA airline execs are traveling through the lounge?

Similar to the Tattinger at QF LAX Flounge https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qant...l#post35601575
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
went thru wednesday evening. i came off BA177 landing at 4pm so was in the lounge around 5pm and it was busy then heaving and busy still when i left at 8pm to walk a bit before my 9pm flight.

what amazed me was there were a number of people around where i sat who were already there when i arrived at 5 and still there when i left at 8. i know we all love a lounge but im starting to understand capacity issues if people are hanging around for 3 hours or more!
Old Nov 10, 2023, 12:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm probably in that category overall, let me give some reasons why. Soho has access to a good range of food, some of which is Middle East inspired, which I personally like. I am also a non-drinker and all this champagne stuff goes way over my head. But I do like comfortable seats with a desk, power and a view, and there are dozens of such options, particularly at the far end of the Soho. These have a great view on the airport's operations with some of the Manhattan skyline in the background. For morning time, probably I would go to Chelsea because the staff there, who I know a bit, can assemble a good breakfast for me very quickly, and there are not usually too many people there then. I would say the gap between Soho and Chelsea is greatest if you are going to be drinking / enjoying certain alcohol products, the gap is otherwise not big.
On my last visit to Chelsea I went to Soho to pick up the Middle Eastern chicken main and brought it back to Chelsea, washed down with some Krug and Dom.

That was actually quite a good meal!
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Originally Posted by percysmith
Similar to the Tattinger at QF LAX Flounge https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qant...l#post35601575
Not one to defend QF but I can only assume because what they get in changes frequently enough to not warrant printing it on the menu as it might be outdated quickly. Hence ask what's available and you shall get. There isn't this shadowy business of "we're not allowed to serve you Krug etc.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by clearedforlanding
Another visit to Chelsea. Another Champagne shuffle. "What champagne do you have?" "Moet this, that, the other". Hmm. "Krug?". Low and behold, without a word, a bottle appears and is poured discreetly under the bar. Wouldn't want any of the less valuable customers to see. Don't ask don't get policy is in force tonight. Level up challenge is to get them to open the Dom I see in another fridge.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation

I think someone else upthread has also mentioned, but when I also investigated the reason of this with some of the staff I know over there, they were told by the management to keep those champagnes behind the scenes as possible as they can and if someone doesn't have a preference offer Moet.

This is a decision of the local management which the frontline staff have no other choice to do other than to not offer those premium champagnes ( LPGS, Dom, Krug ) proactively to everyone.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I get that the lounge can't make a loss, but I still don't understand the "offer Mot" (which is $40-45, even lower in some states) and "people are not supposed to see it's there - I'll pour it in the back".
  • The entry requirements are strict.
  • The menu says "ask for Premium Champagnes on offer" - so people are asking. Serve it. Some first-timers who the staff don't recognize are getting initially denied - and that's not right.
  • The old AA Flagship First dining had LPGS on the menu
  • JFK is a premium route and a premium city, and Chelsea is basically a CCR. Why not just put it on the menu, or insert a printout daily like restaurants do showing today's selection?
  • Greenwich at JFK has dozens of Piper Heidseck ($35-40) self-serve bottles in the center of the lounge, and that's essentially a business class/OW sapphire lounge. Shouldn't Chelsea be a step-up from that?
  • Almost everyone using this lounge will have LPGS in the air. Why not have cases and cases of it like the LHR CCR?
I think we all know the answer - cost. I know this is a small issue in the scheme of things but it's an annoying one when requests are denied.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 1:02 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Another great visit to Chelsea this afternoon, Krug was free following. Service was great.
Krug was seemingly being offered to others in the lounge if their first choice of cocktail wasnt available.
Dom was also available, saw the Luminous bottle a few times. But I fly enough EK to have Dom here!
It looked like there was no bartender during my time there and the other servers were doing the best they could.
Steak frites delicious as always

Edited to add: I got there in the early afternoon and the lounge was quite empty. It didnt seem like they were trying to hide the Krug or Dom bottles at that time. But as the lounge got busier, I could tell they were more secretive about the bottles, only walking around the lounge with them covered in a napkin LOL
AAL2887 likes this.

Last edited by S.R; Nov 11, 2023 at 6:47 am
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
  • Greenwich at JFK has dozens of Piper Heidseck ($35-40) self-serve bottles in the center of the lounge, and that's essentially a business class/OW sapphire lounge. Shouldn't Chelsea be a step-up from that?

I actually much prefer Piper to Mot. But valid point.

• Almost everyone using this lounge will have LPGS in the air. Why not have cases and cases of it like the LHR CCR?
Definitely not. Only the BA F pax. AA F hasnt served it in a few years I think and internationally they have nearly the same Intl F capacity as BA (3 to LHR plus I believe a couple other destinations) plus all the LAX/SFO F flights where I think at best they get Lanson, lol. Oh and all the pesky BA GGLs
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by ijgordon; Nov 11, 2023 at 8:27 am
Old Nov 10, 2023, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Good visit to Chelsea today. Steak frites were excellent.

Krug was flowing, bar tender made it clear to try and hide it, pouring the glass in the fridge unit. Weird thing was that the couple next to me, who heard me order Krug just whispered the "Moet champagne please". I guess if the Krug becomes too free and easy then Moet looks like the secret bottle Or people just have no clue.

While the lounge is not bad, but not great, who on earth deigned the bathroom taps!

KF
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:01 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I'm ok with them not offering the Krug proactively. There are many people who don't care and are happy with Moet.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
This evening, I approached the bar and asked for Krug. The server said it had all gone, but then said that he had "this" - "this" was Dom Prignon. He wouldn't say the name out loud, but he proceeded to open the bottle and pour me a glass. It is becoming comedy!
Koru Flyer, seanp7, vulle and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by brightstar100
This evening, I approached the bar and asked for Krug. The server said it had all gone, but then said that he had "this" - "this" was Dom Prignon. He wouldn't say the name out loud, but he proceeded to open the bottle and pour me a glass. It is becoming comedy!
Becoming?? I would say it was firmly established
seanp7 and vulle like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brightstar100
Expensive theatre tickets!
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I actually much prefer Piper to Mot. But valid point.
Me too.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Definitely not. Only the BA F pax. AA F hasnt served it in a few years I think and internationally they have nearly the same Intl F capacity as BA (3 to LHR plus I believe a couple other destinations) plus all the LAX/SFO F flights where I think at best they get Lanson, lol. Oh and all the pesky BA GGLs
Yes, also valid. But then how many F destinations + flights does LHR have (hence my cases comment)? (That was sort of my point). But granted, it's probably AA drAAgging Chelsea down. I didn't realize AA Int'l F didn't serve LPGS anymore - I don't fly them.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.