Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
In maybe 50 entries, I've only ever had an issue once - and that was because the rules were complicated.

Now they're clear and it's easy.

As for the champagne thing, I'll remind you that the CCR in T7 operated in a similar fashion with LPGS not offered if you asked for 'a glass of champagne'.

M
I would agree with msm2000uk that my experience is similar since the clarification of the rules which was done back in January 2023 and updated with SH INTL later during the year.
It's a gamble whether AA agents would be able to see the GGL status directly so on all occasions, I had my physical GGL card handy just in case.

All AA operated flights ( mixture of international and domestic )

My 2H 2023 experiences;

5 - Admitted without any issues
2 - Admitted with a manual check of GGL at the BA system and confirmation of BA supervisor ( takes a couple of minutes for them to pull up the account information )

I was only denied twice in December 2022, that I can only access the lounge when flying international ( denied once when flying to DCA in Economy and once when flying to LAX in Flagship Business ) and the policies were not clear at that time.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hello all, I have a BAH booked to NY with the option of UuA from JFK to LHR to F on a 77W late departure. I’ve never tried the First suite and I’d like to check out the Chelsea lounge, although reading here and other reviews there are some mixed opinions it seems. I’m a lowly Gold so I will have access to the Soho lounge, which some people seem to prefer??

Is it worth the upgrade? I’d rather check out the F suite on a day flight but this is my only option for now. Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2023, 12:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Zackers
Hello all, I have a BAH booked to NY with the option of UuA from JFK to LHR to F on a 77W late departure. Ive never tried the First suite and Id like to check out the Chelsea lounge, although reading here and other reviews there are some mixed opinions it seems. Im a lowly Gold so I will have access to the Soho lounge, which some people seem to prefer??

Is it worth the upgrade? Id rather check out the F suite on a day flight but this is my only option for now. Thanks
As always with these things, it's hard to answer for someone else. If you're Avios rich and this won't dent your Avios balance then I'd suggest you do it as it won't cost you any cash. Otherwise the Soho is a perfectly adequate lounge although I prefer the Chelsea. The Club Suite is perfectly fine for sleeping although the First Suite is a little better. I would probably do it but I can understand why a lot of people would not. Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.
Lefly, jjLDNY and Zackers like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
As always with these things, it's hard to answer for someone else. If you're Avios rich and this won't dent your Avios balance then I'd suggest you do it as it won't cost you any cash. Otherwise the Soho is a perfectly adequate lounge although I prefer the Chelsea. The Club Suite is perfectly fine for sleeping although the First Suite is a little better. I would probably do it but I can understand why a lot of people would not. Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.
Makes sense. I've gone ahead and upgraded. It's the only F variant I haven't tried yet, and I'd like to tick the Chelsea lounge off the list if anything. I've got plenty of avios but I'm planning to spend a hefty chunk on a JAL F return - never been to Japan or done JAL F.

Thanks!
golfmad likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
If it's a UuA, it's a minor dent and a smidge compared to what you're spending for the JAL so trust you have the balance.

To stick to the topic of lounges. As above the Soho is adequate, if you're not a drinker, even more so. If you dabble, I'd associate a $xxx value to the Chelsea for F&B.
golfmad and Zackers like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expect an equipment substitution to the old F suite a few days before departure.
Markie and Zackers like this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: BA
Was in the Chelsea lounge on Saturday evening. Incredibly quiet, and very good service - steak and fries was nice.

I did get the old F on the flight. Fine for sleeping, but the newer suite is better in terms of the IFE screen and storage options. Really still not sure about doors (including CS).
Zackers likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:01 am

I don't mind a couple drinks when travelling but I try not to have too much. That being said I'll make good use of the champagne bar

The food does look impressive in the Chelsea. As long as it's better than the CCR - the last couple times I've been there I've been quite disappointed with the mains.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Zackers
Im a lowly Gold so I will have access to the Soho lounge, which some people seem to prefer??
I'm probably in that category overall, let me give some reasons why. Soho has access to a good range of food, some of which is Middle East inspired, which I personally like. I am also a non-drinker and all this champagne stuff goes way over my head. But I do like comfortable seats with a desk, power and a view, and there are dozens of such options, particularly at the far end of the Soho. These have a great view on the airport's operations with some of the Manhattan skyline in the background. For morning time, probably I would go to Chelsea because the staff there, who I know a bit, can assemble a good breakfast for me very quickly, and there are not usually too many people there then. I would say the gap between Soho and Chelsea is greatest if you are going to be drinking / enjoying certain alcohol products, the gap is otherwise not big.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm probably in that category overall, let me give some reasons why. Soho has access to a good range of food, some of which is Middle East inspired, which I personally like. I am also a non-drinker and all this champagne stuff goes way over my head. But I do like comfortable seats with a desk, power and a view, and there are dozens of such options, particularly at the far end of the Soho. These have a great view on the airport's operations with some of the Manhattan skyline in the background. For morning time, probably I would go to Chelsea because the staff there, who I know a bit, can assemble a good breakfast for me very quickly, and there are not usually too many people there then. I would say the gap between Soho and Chelsea is greatest if you are going to be drinking / enjoying certain alcohol products, the gap is otherwise not big.
I agree.

Take away the champagne and Soho is in most other aspects the better lounge.
David_Doyle and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Ill pop into Chelsea for a bit and then retire to Soho. Natural light and views win it for me.
crazy8534 and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:35 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I might be an outlier but I love Chelsea. It feels more cozy. Soho feels sterile to me.
The better champagne and food doesn't hurt either.
revorgap likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 2:22 am

Was there a couple of nights back. Service very friendly but not polished. All champagne cocktails were not available as the champagne that's used for it was out and the bartender refused to mix them with other saying it would totally alter the taste.

Asked waiter for premium champagne, was offered a choice of Krug or LPGS. After the meal, we went to the bar and were told there was neither available. Saying we've had Krug before they agreed to more for us but told us they'd pour it in the back because "people are not supposed to see it's there". Went for another refill, different bartender, he said there was no Krug. His colleague quickly came over, said it was okay and that we were good to get some and that she had hidden the bottle(s) in the back. Before leaving the lounge she smiled at us and said there'd be no Krug tomorrow as we finished it all.

It's all rather ridiculous. If you don't want to serve it, don't promise it. The charade around it is just ...

I think many will prefer the taste of Ruinart BdB anyways, as I wouldn't characterize Krug as the most approachable champagne.

Edit: food: crab cakes were really good, roasted beets and poached asparagus were mediocre. Had the steak as main and wasn't excited, then again I don't like strip that much to begin with so that was probably on me. Also had the sole which was okay, I didn't care for the breading. Overall I'd say food is on par or slightly above CCR but below other first class lounges.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Always Somewhere Else
on the lounge information page: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...mation/lounges it has the situation as I understood it with the addition of a helpful list of destinations that allowed access since I last looked:

The Chelsea lounge at New York JFK Terminal 8 is available for:
()
  • Gold Members with 5000 Tier points (and 3,000 Tier Points each year thereafter), travelling on a scheduled long-haul flight with British Airways, or a long-haul, transcontinental or international short-haul flight with American Airlines.

()
American Airlines International Shorthaul routes include :
Alberta
Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Aruba
Bahamas

Barbados
Bermuda
British Columbia
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Cuba

()
All reference to this list of International Shorthaul flights seems to have been removed - is Bermuda classed as Caribbean (despite being 1000 miles away) in terms of the AA rules? I have a flight coming up which was booked partly on the basis of having access.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 7:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Another visit to Chelsea. Another Champagne shuffle. "What champagne do you have?" "Moet this, that, the other". Hmm. "Krug?". Low and behold, without a word, a bottle appears and is poured discreetly under the bar. Wouldn't want any of the less valuable customers to see. Don't ask don't get policy is in force tonight. Level up challenge is to get them to open the Dom I see in another fridge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.