Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nj1015
Apologies my post was confusing and have re-written it. Just two separate tickets going from New York to Sydney on AA.
1. AA JFK-LAX (economy revenue ticket)
2. AA LAX-SYD (flagship first class award ticket)
Thanks, that's totally clear. I fear it's a "no" unless you have status with it. But I would definitely try it, the rules are sufficiently squidgy that it resists anyone saying "definitely no". They may allow you to go to Soho as a consolation.
nj1015 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Apologies my post was confusing and have re-written it. Just two separate tickets going from New York to Sydney on AA.
1. AA JFK-LAX (economy revenue ticket)
2. AA LAX-SYD (flagship first class award ticket)
I reckon you've got a good chance of being admitted. Just say 'connecting to Flagship First' and show both boarding passes. Revene or award doesn't come into it.

Get access if you’re traveling in Flagship® First International, Flagship® First Transcontinental or Flagship® Business Plus on a qualifying same-day flight marketed by a oneworld® airline or JetBlue* and operated by American.

My bolding. Source: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-lounges.jsp

Backed up by oneworld policy:

​​​​​​
Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights: First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 06:00am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Source: https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
nj1015 likes this.

Last edited by Genius1; Oct 14, 2023 at 1:19 am
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
I reckon you've got a good change of being admitted. Just say 'connecting to Flagship First' and show both boarding passes. Revene or award doesn't come into it.

My bolding. Source: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-lounges.jsp

Backed up by oneworld policy:

​​​​​​
Source: https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
Thanks so much for providing the policy. Will give it a go and hopefully won't encounter trouble.
Buster CT1K and Genius1 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Just to flag I don’t think the Oneworld policy can be relied on here as the Chelsea lounge is explicitly excluded from the Oneworld Lounge access policy under exemptions in the link above. The AA policy is clear enough though so I would refer to that if you encounter an issue.
argonath and nj1015 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 12:46 pm

In Chelsea now.. VERY crowded at 2:45 PM US time.. On my way to LHR.. Food is excellent.. Servers are great.. A real turn around since my last visit here.. And everyone drinking some sort of champers…
seanp7 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by RTW4
In Chelsea now.. VERY crowded at 2:45 PM US time.. On my way to LHR.. Food is excellent.. Servers are great.. A real turn around since my last visit here.. And everyone drinking some sort of champers…
At times, there definitely seems to be a decent number of people able to access this lounge even with less business travel, fewer F seats, potential status drops etc. Unless they're all booking transcon F redemptions just to get in
Old Oct 17, 2023, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
If anyone happens to be in Chelsea tonight, could you DM me - have a small favour (not guesting related).

Many thanks!

M
Old Oct 21, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Thanks so much for providing the policy. Will give it a go and hopefully won't encounter trouble.
This is a bit on delay, but the key point is reiterating that the flight in question is the LAX-SYD flight. Also, this could be overkill, but I’d have a print-out of your BP versus a digital copy as the fare class is clearly stated instead of just saying “priority: first class”.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Had the opportunity to visit the lounge for the first time yesterday and it's definitely a lovely space. Steak was great and staff were incredibly attentive even though it was fairly busy throughout the evening. I had a lovely staff member kept asking whether I wanted a drink and I had to polite decline as I had been drinking since the CCR at LHR! Krug was definitely served under the table as I saw the bottle a couple of times but definitely not publicly advertised. Guess its one of those if you know then you know kind of situations.

Getting in the other hand was a bit of a faff around. Showed the lounge attendant my BP for JFK-LAX on AA in F and they said go to the Soho lounge. I was perplexed as I thought that I was eligible purely based on CoS and status as per the list requirements on AA's and BA's site. It wasn't until I showed them my LHR-JFK BP in F did they let me in.

Last edited by TheSYDTraveller; Oct 25, 2023 at 10:36 am
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by richh1833
Getting in on the other hand was a bit of a faff around. Showed the lounge attendant my BP for JFK-LAX on AA in F and they said go to the Soho lounge.
Sigh.
ijgordon and KARFA like this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Originally Posted by seanp7
Sigh.
It was pretty funny since she said it with such confidence as well. I also replied with, "what about Gold Guest List"? "She replied with "Only if you're connecting"

What are the definitive rules for getting in? Should it be what's listed under the GGL benefits site "Additional Lounge Benefits"?

You can also take advantage of our exclusive Chelsea lounge at New York JFK Terminal 8 when you travel on a scheduled long-haul flight with British Airways, or a long-haul, transcontinental or international short-haul flight with American Airlines.

Likewise, a guest may join you when you’re flying with either airline, or two guests when flying in First with British Airways or American Airlines. (Passengers flying with other oneworld airlines are unable to access this lounge but can enjoy our other two lounges).
Would this suggest that flying AA long haul Y or connecting to AA long haul Y should also get access? e.g. JFK-DFW-AKL
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
What are the definitive rules for getting in? Should it be what's listed under the GGL benefits site "Additional Lounge Benefits"?
It'll (seemingly) forever be case-by-case, but most would know that JFK > LAX in F would giver you access so if she were to insist, going to another desk or asking them to check with a colleague would've likely got you in.

The rules have changed a lot, but international and transcon F have always had access, regardless of status. Later on a few slightly niche things like SNA and LAX <> Miami tickets with JFK also were added.

Let's not get into GGL history, but today the official is international and presumably the same transcon (plus the new Hawaii and Canada as per CK access https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-lounges.jsp)

Would this suggest that flying AA long haul Y or connecting to AA long haul Y should also get access? e.g. JFK-DFW-AKL
On paper yes, as GGL or CK.
TheSYDTraveller and KARFA like this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 3:16 pm

We were in Chelsea in the past week.

Very busy, lots of people crowding the bar. Dirty plates and glasses from departed passengers dotted around. Food below CCR standard but maybe we made poor choices (soup and sole .. who wants another steak after time in Manhattan).

Took three attempts to get some Krug, the lady behind the bar denying repeatedly that they had some .. I spotted the bottle and pointed it out politely, in return I got a nonchalant shrug and a “I’ll check with the supervisor “. A nod was given and after that refills weren’t an issue. Apparently no-one was to be given Krug without explicit supervisor approval.

I think it unlikely the staff on the ground have decided to implement a face-fits rationing regime so what is going on here.

I find the charade ridiculous.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I agree, the dance around the Krug is ridiculous. It does not take more than a basic look at behavioural research to know that an inequitable proposition will have a negative effect on customer satisfaction. BA/AA should simply decide on what their proposition is and consistently offer it to all. On what basis a supervisor is making an informed decision, I do not know.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 4:26 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Getting in the other hand was a bit of a faff around.
Was this slightly older lady, wearing a face mask? She tried to send me to Soho last week, despite the fact I am GGL, and was travelling to LHR in F.

Her younger colleague mouthed, "sorry" to me as she was faffing around, re-issuing BPs I already had..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.