Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Sep 15, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by SwedeT
since you are a way more frequent flyer than I am (I can only treat myself to First ever so often and though I strive to defend my BA Gold I will never reach GGL and I’m another 20 or so years away from GFL) I understand your fatigue with the inconsistencies I read about on here. Especially if you just want to know exactly what you’re getting and not having to keep your fingers crossed for anything.

But for me as a newbie but at the same well informed thanks to all of you guys on here and also not shy to ask for what I want I have truly enjoyed Chelsea this evening. Nalini in the bar is doing a great job juggling quite a few of us around here.

I did pop in to Soho just now and I understand what you guys say about having views of the tarmac. But at the same time, the atmosphere in there is much more like a Galleries lounge. Big, loud, rows and rows of seats and a huge buffet with lots of choices, but if I would have the opportunity I would definitely opt for Chelsea as the feeling is much more premium and exclusive in here. Posting this for all the other infrequent visitors to know, as I do very much respect all the regulars flying way more often than I do!
Funny enough, I will never make the 5,000 threshold for GGL either and always end up around 3,000/ 3,500 in each year, which is annoying but can't justify a push to go beyond and should have done it when there was the reduced tier point thresholds, but hey ho, so relatively don't fly that much as some people here.

Since I mainly travel for work, when it comes to returning home, where I am usually knackered (long days, early starts, late evenings etc) and all I want is simplicity and consistency. I never sit down to eat for example, so am not bothered by the 'formal' dining option, but do want something quick to eat and a couple of glasses of something nice to take the edge off ahead of a relatively short flight. What frustrates me, is the change from the old CCR or even FFD which of course had problems, but if feels like an effort when you go through Chelsea and a lottery on what you're going to get served, it shouldn't be like this.

As an example I have lost count on the number of times I am served a glass of champagne from someone else as if it's water and everyone is puzzled why it's a quarter full or goes over the top. It's these things which frankly are just irritating. How hard can it be to train people to serve a glass of champagne. I know people are trying their best and I don't want to criticise individuals but this is where management need to step up look at the issues and plan how to address them.I agree Nalini is superb and would love to know whether they listen to any staff feedback or even ask.

I am really glad you had a great experience and it's encouraging to hear this, as this should be how it is consistently - i.e. a destination and a familiar place. Agree too that Chelsea is a much more of a serene environment to Soho.

Should our paths cross in there will join you in the tasting approach
cyber1k likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SwedeT
What is the premium lounge at EWR like? Is it a Concorde one? Or AA FF dining?
It's a single class BA lounge with a separate First Dining area. The lounge is the Galleries design concept having opened in 2012, albeit recently updated with some of the still relatively new furniture from the BA JFK lounges at T7, including a few pieces from the Concorde Room.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 7:27 pm

Carat22, That is brilliant. it's actually what most of us want. Thank you.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Popped in again just now before a cheap trip to LHR. asked my status and no issues, so pretty consistent.
Quiet tonight - few people, but no excessive phonecalls. A couple of staff are louder.

Went to the bar and asked for some Krug. Off she went to get a new, sealed bottle

Started off with the pea soup. Do think it would be better hot, and not sure what some of the crunchy bits were in it. Some seemed to be mushrooms?

Standard burger. Prefer the steak frites they used to do rather than the fries, but nice to have "chips".
JapesUK likes this.

Last edited by xenole; Sep 16, 2023 at 5:49 pm
Old Sep 17, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Stopped by again last night and skipped this starters this time around - really disappointed with these. Had the sauted sole. Cooked in what seems the same way as the Sole Meunire was, however with asparagus and tomatoes rather than the leeks and capers this time. Sole was definitely the second best dish for me after the steak on the last menu, still stands true. Solid dish.

I also tried the peach and chocolate desserts. Contrary to the previous report on the peach being tough, this one was soft and very good - will be ordering again. The 68% chocolate mousse was also very good, though tasted more like 40-50%, it isn't too strong a chocolate taste.

Everything else available.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 3:57 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by xenole
Started off with the pea soup. Do think it would be better hot, and not sure what some of the crunchy bits were in it. Some seemed to be mushrooms?
Agreed, I found that soup really weird.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:11 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I understand the value of tipping, thanks. I just dont think I should need to be known as a good tipper in order to enjoy a glass of Krug when Ive paid US$12000 for a first class flight. But hey ho. Each to their own.
FWIW I think just knowing enough to ask for the Krug/Dom etc is enough to be served it. I didn't even know they had it when I found out. I was just having a conversation with the bartender regarding when the last time they had it was, and out came a bottle!
You don't have to be a good tipper, but of course that will lead the bar tenders to remember you for future visits.
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by jjLDNY

I also tried the peach and chocolate desserts. Contrary to the previous report on the peach being tough, this one was soft and very good - will be ordering again. The 68% chocolate mousse was also very good, though tasted more like 40-50%, it isn't too strong a chocolate taste.

Everything else available.
I did pop into Soho as well, and dessert wise, they had little jars of cheesecake and chocolate mouse.
Sure the chocolate one was the same thing as in Chelsea, just presented different.
The cheesecake was like something out of a packet with a few biscuit crumbs sprinkled on top.
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by xenole
I did pop into Soho as well, and dessert wise, they had little jars of cheesecake and chocolate mouse.
Soho worth visiting over Greenwich?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
I popped into Greenwich as I had time to kill and wanted to see what theyd done with the old Flagship First Dinning and the old Admirals Club. It was rammed so walked in did a loop and walked immediately out.
Football Fan and Visconti like this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
FWIW I think just knowing enough to ask for the Krug/Dom etc is enough to be served it. I didn't even know they had it when I found out. I was just having a conversation with the bartender regarding when the last time they had it was, and out came a bottle!
You don't have to be a good tipper, but of course that will lead the bar tenders to remember you for future visits.
This. LPGS, Krug and Dom all available tonight. LPGS was readily being poured at the table in the dining room and glasses of Krug were being taken over on request from the bar. Sadly, they were out of crab cakes
Buster CT1K and madmanshoney like this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Try whatever you can. They've got similar, if not the same menu items, and sometimes better seating, quirkiness, bar staff, people etc. in one over another.

Sometimes they're rammed, other times far more comfortable.
Visconti likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
last night i arrived at 430pm for my 730pm departure as i knew i'd actually want to eat on the ground for once.

it was already rammed by the time i arrived and about 3/4 of the dining tables occupied. while the majority of bar and the chairs along the wall to the right upon entering were fairly empty, the rest of the seating was occupied. it was the first time i've ever seen it so full, and again on a monday night in september.

i opted to sit to eat early rather than risk running out of time and glad i did as it was at capacity when i left my table at 6pm. ordered the salad to start which was nice but dressing quite bland (i do not like strong dressing and well, definitely didnt get that!) and none of the mains were really appetizing and caved for the steak.

ok the steak was perfection (for me) and i was surprised at how flavorful and perfectly cooked (for me) it was, and it was huge.

no booze for me as i am still post-flu recovery so have nothing to report on that front.

jjLDNY likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by VSLover
ordered the salad to start which was nice but dressing quite bland (i do not like strong dressing and well, definitely didnt get that!) and none of the mains were really appetizing and caved for the steak.

ok the steak was perfection (for me) and i was surprised at how flavorful and perfectly cooked (for me) it was, and it was huge.
Fully agree. As mentioned this overall from the apps to the new mains was a downgrade (for me), especially losing the caesar salad.. The steak, however, I would likely order 90% of the time anyway and it's a very very good dish for a lounge (for me). In the 10+ I've had, all have been perfectly cooked bar 1 which was a tad over (for me).

Anyway, I'm hoping for a faster rotation on the menu, but hope they keep the steak, and it seems they'll probably keep the beetroot, tagine and olive oil cake since they're the result of their special chef. It's impressive how I don't think I've heard of the steak being out after the first month of shenanigans; decent stock they buy in.
VSLover likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
First time visit to Chelsea (GGL who rarely flies US). Long Island Ice Tea and LPGS enjoyed in the lounge - I cant get too excited about bubbles so didnt make enquiries on options. Then tried the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay - both very decent.

Moved to dining area about 5pm. Both had asparagus as crab cakes were out of stock. Tasty if a bit shy of being properly blanched on the thickest stems. Wife had the tagliatelle and was very happy with it. Steak frites for me and have to say I was very happy compared to the half portions served at Heathrow CCR. Cab Sav went well with it.

Moved back into lounge and enjoyed a Suntory before BA174 was called. Got to gate and group 0 was called on arrival, so first on plane.

In summary, enjoyed whole experience more than LHR CCR, except for the security clearance which was worse than the First Wing on a bad day.
SQjunkie, Visconti and jjLDNY like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.