Search

Shanghai 2023

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Shanghai 2023

Good day all,

Looking for some advice…

My wife and I are due to be flying out to Shanghai on March 31 2023 through a 241 BA comp voucher, we are meant to be there for 4 nights and flying from Shanghai to Tokyo via a BA partner airline which we used avios for.
We then fly back to London from Tokyo on 16th April 2023 via Japan airlines through avios. Essentially BA screwed up and had to put us on japan airlines.

My concern is that China is still not open yet and really not feeling optimistic about them opening by 31st March and even if they do, I suspect there will be heavy restrictions.

Do I have a leg to stand on in regards to BA getting us to japan if they cancel China? We’ve got hotels booked up in japan (all free cancellation). However, I’m worried that BA have not said anything about China yet and the usual month beforehand they make an announcement for cancellations and to contact them to discuss refund/ options.

Just looking for some advice from anyone before I go on the phone to BA to discuss this.

Thanks,

Bri
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Usually if BA cancels the service then your options are a rebook to PVG at a later time, a rebook to an airport within 300 miles (which won't help here) or a refund. And they tend to favour the refund just because it's the most simple outcome. They would rebook to a Japan only trip but you would have to find redemption availability and pay any difference.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’d cancel for the Ł35 fee each and take the money and Avios back then booking something else. Alternatively wait for BA to cancel and get all back for free.

I cant see what else you’d expect the airline to offer?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
China entry quarantine rules, although eased, would currently rule out a four-day trip. What will happen by next April is anyone’s guess. Personally, as someone who used to visit Shanghai several times a year, I’d be wary of a visit in spring 2023.

Much depends if your ticket from Shanghai to Tokyo is integrated into your itinerary or is independent. If the former, you may be OK, if the latter then probably not.

Good luck!

Doc Copper
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Usually if BA cancels the service then your options are a rebook to PVG at a later time, a rebook to an airport within 300 miles (which won't help here) or a refund. And they tend to favour the refund just because it's the most simple outcome. They would rebook to a Japan only trip but you would have to find redemption availability and pay any difference.
The timing of the trip to Tokyo suggests that one of the drivers for the trip to Japan is cherry blossom (Sakura). Trying to get an avios ticket is going to be difficult. Commercial tickets in biz and first at that time of year are above average.

Doc Copper
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses folks. I suspected as much. We were desperate to get back to Japan since the pandemic and have feared this for a while but it's not looking likely through BA.

Is anyone aware of them potentially honouring the flight back if we made our own way out? The business class flight back would be fine.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say yes, if you wait until the out bound is cancelled. Not before, as I’m assuming this is the old style voucher (pre Sept 21 issue).
The_Bman likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Really appreciate the advice. Will most likely hold off just now then. Hopefully they would reimburse for the outbound if I wanted to keep the inbound as I;m conscious the 241 would generally required an outbound and inbound booking.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by The_Bman
Really appreciate the advice. Will most likely hold off just now then. Hopefully they would reimburse for the outbound if I wanted to keep the inbound as I;m conscious the 241 would generally required an outbound and inbound booking.
Not necessarily. It depends on which colour Amex card you have. If blue, your 2-4-1 itinerary must originate in the UK. If black, you can start from anywhere.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:26 am
formerly JackDann

I had BA cancel a Singapore flight and re-route me to Phuket on QR, which is well outside 300 miles. Obviously not policy, but i’d say its worth a shot for you. (It took me a couple of attempts).

If they cancel then either insist on re-routing on another carrier, or re-route to Tokyo on BA metal (They’d usually prefer the latter)
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wb1969
Not necessarily. It depends on which colour Amex card you have. If blue, your 2-4-1 itinerary must originate in the UK. If black, you can start from anywhere.
Not pre Sept 21 issued vouchers - which I assume this is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.