Advice for taking ashes to USA

Old Nov 25, 2022, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Advice for taking ashes to USA

A family member recently passed away. One of her wishes was to spread part of her ashes at her favourite holiday spots in the USA. The funeral director has arranged a customs certificate for collection.

Any advice what I need to do, to take the ashes re: flight with BA, dealing with US customs and any other paperwork needed eg death certificate required?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I did this in April. I took some of them in a Tupperware pot in my hand baggage and nothing else. No questions or paperwork required at any point.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Put them in your suitcase and keep quiet about it - well, that’s what I’d do, without a thought…
Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My itinerary was LHR-MIA-LAX-LAS / LAS-TPA at which point they were sprinkled in Florida. No issues at any point
LCSinTexas and FlyingWelshie like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
A family member recently passed away. One of her wishes was to spread part of her ashes at her favourite holiday spots in the USA. The funeral director has arranged a customs certificate for collection.

Any advice what I need to do, to take the ashes re: flight with BA, dealing with US customs and any other paperwork needed eg death certificate required?

Thanks in advance.
Condolences to you and your family.

And yes I agree with the advice to just do it.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:37 pm

Never ever put them in a checked bag, just imagine the distress if the bag didn't appear at the end.
Get the Funeral Director to place them in a polytainer, (screw top hard plastic urn), place in hand luggage produce customs certificate if challenged.
I've been doing this for clients for 30 years with zero problems
Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
US requirements:
https://www.hhs.gov/guidance/documen...uent-cremation
There are no importation requirements into the United States if human remains consist entirely of the following:
  • Cremated human remains
  • Clean (free of any tissues or blood) dry bones or bone fragments
  • Human hair
  • Clean (free of any tissues or blood) human teeth, fingernails, or toenails
Also see:
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
LCSinTexas and FlyingWelshie like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe this is what I checked and therefore didn’t need anything
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think most or all US airlines require you to carry the ashes in your carry-on rather than checked luggage. I traveled with my mom’s ashes about 7 years ago and TSA noticed them but were very respectful.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

THANKS for the advice everyone. Sounds quite straightforward
Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by bafan
Put them in your suitcase and keep quiet about it - well, that’s what I’d do, without a thought…
No never put cremains in checked luggage. Checked luggage can be inspected and get bounced around. There are stories of the container getting opened and the contents spilled. even in hand luggage one should make sure the container is clearly marked human cremains.
FlyingWelshie and onlyairfare like this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
No never put cremains in checked luggage. Checked luggage can be inspected and get bounced around. There are stories of the container getting opened and the contents spilled. even in hand luggage one should make sure the container is clearly marked human cremains.
I agree - I fretted even about mailing my brother's cremains from Florida to North Carolina, and had planned on going to Florida, picking them up in person and carrying them in my hand baggage on a flight to North Carolina. Then Hurricane Ike hit the day I was supposed to arrive in Florida.

A family friend mailed them and they arrived safely in NC, but I'd always carry them in hand myself if possible. While we decide what to do with the cremains, they are now in the hands of my previously long-lost nephew, my brother's son who happens to live an hour from my NC place. We had just finally "found him" on the internet - a wonderful young man with a lovely family - after years of no contact . A happy consequence of an otherwise sad series of events.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Way off topic, but to bring a touch of comfort to a rather sad subject, there's a rather wonderful song by Colin Moulding, one of the main songwriters of Swindon's finest, XTC, which seems appropriate. The lyrics are lovely. I believe the film inserts are of his parents.

All best wishes to the OP and anyone else who is touched by this sort of thing.
FlyingWelshie likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by onlyairfare
I agree - I fretted even about mailing my brother's cremains from Florida to North Carolina, and had planned on going to Florida, picking them up in person and carrying them in my hand baggage on a flight to North Carolina. Then Hurricane Ike hit the day I was supposed to arrive in Florida.

A family friend mailed them and they arrived safely in NC, but I'd always carry them in hand myself if possible. While we decide what to do with the cremains, they are now in the hands of my previously long-lost nephew, my brother's son who happens to live an hour from my NC place. We had just finally "found him" on the internet - a wonderful young man with a lovely family - after years of no contact . A happy consequence of an otherwise sad series of events.
In the UK most if not all of the parcel companies refuse to accept cremated remains, entirely due to potential fallout if they are lost. The only way we can officially send them is by a door to door courier, likewise I would never suggest that they be placed in a checked bag
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Way off topic, but to bring a touch of comfort to a rather sad subject, there's a rather wonderful song by Colin Moulding, one of the main songwriters of Swindon's finest, XTC, which seems appropriate. The lyrics are lovely. I believe the film inserts are of his parents.

Scatter Me (TC&I, Colin Moulding and Terry Chambers 2017 ) - YouTube

All best wishes to the OP and anyone else who is touched by this sort of thing.
Thanks, and I am just old enough to remember XTC from the late 1970s

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.