BA Keep Splitting Up My Family

Old Nov 24, 22, 9:44 am
Original Poster

BA Keep Splitting Up My Family

Checked in for a short haul flight in Club Europe last week, which I’d booked in August. My partner checked in on her phone, confirmed her seat in Row 1, the seat I’d selected 3 months ago, and she downloaded her boarding pass. We’re both Gold Card holders.

I went to check in and noticed that I was in Row 8. In addition, BA had had assigned our infant to my lap. She’s still breastfeeding. I was unable to change my seat, as the option was greyed out. Other than a seat in Row 1, next to my partner, there were no other seats together. We’re all on the same booking reference.

I called BA. The first agent said that there was nothing she could do as the seats were under airport control. The second agent said that it could be an oxygen mask issue regarding Row 1 and our infant. She said she’d check with the airport team and get back to me. A little later she called back to say she’d managed to get us all seated together. No issue with the oxygen masks.

I checked my return booking today. Previously we were all in Row 1. My partner is now in Row 3 and breastfeeding daughter and me are a couple of rows behind, at the other side of the aircraft. When I went to MMB it still had us sitting together in Row 1. I tried moving us to various seats around the cabin but I got an error message each time.

I called BA etc. and they eventually sorted it.

The same thing has happened three times before even when I’ve selected Rows 2 and 3 - we have been moved or split up. It’s all getting a bit frustrating.

Palmer
Old Nov 24, 22, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Hopefully you can sort this out but the fact your partner is breast feeding doesn’t complicate things as the baby can still sit with the mother.
nilsfr69, Deckter, pdxkat and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Was there a plane change eg A319 to A320 or vice versa, as just the other day I had 4 seats row 1 (2 Golds) and row 2 behind (2 silvers), and plane swapped from 319 to 320 and we were then back in row 6 across the 4 seats in CE. Wasnt a happy bunny!
Old Nov 24, 22, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Hopefully you can sort this out but the fact your partner is breast feeding doesn’t complicate things as the baby can still sit with the mother.
It did complicate things to an extent because the agent thought that baby couldn’t sit in Row 1 because of an oxygen mask issue. Agent was unable to move mother next to me in Row 8, or move me to mother’s seat and move mother to my seat (i.e.swap the two of us) because the seats were under airport control. Agent was about 90 minutes sorting this between calls.

Palmer
Old Nov 24, 22, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rolandrat View Post
Was there a plane change eg A319 to A320 or vice versa, as just the other day I had 4 seats row 1 (2 Golds) and row 2 behind (2 silvers), and plane swapped from 319 to 320 and we were then back in row 6 across the 4 seats in CE. Wasnt a happy bunny!
I checked the aircraft a couple of days before the outbound on Flightradar24. It was an A320 and same aircraft registration from when it was assigned to when we took the flight.

Not sure if it’s a different aircraft for the return as it’s still a little early to see on Flightradar24 but it’s still an A320 in MMB.

Palmer
Old Nov 24, 22, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
Is Row 1 classed as an Exit row in CE?
Old Nov 24, 22, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; *Silver
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
It did complicate things to an extent because the agent thought that baby couldn’t sit in Row 1 because of an oxygen mask issue. Agent was unable to move mother next to me in Row 8, or move me to mother’s seat and move mother to my seat (i.e.swap the two of us) because the seats were under airport control. Agent was about 90 minutes sorting this between calls.

Palmer
But you could swap yourselves and sit in each other's seat. You don't need it printed on your boarding pass for you to sit in your partner's seat and she in yours.

I know you wanted to sit together, so it's not a solution to being messed around but it's something to bear in mind if it happens again and it can't be fixed.
Old Nov 24, 22, 11:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fatdickie View Post
Is Row 1 classed as an Exit row in CE?
no, it never was

being moved from row 1 is pretty unusual - other than when your plane is swapped to a the G-GATx planes which have no 1d and f.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 11:09 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
My understanding is that depending on the aircraft type, not all rows have the additional oxygen mask for the lap infant. Presumably this is what is causing the issue. CWS will know!!
awayIgo and KARFA like this.

Last edited by jmd; Nov 24, 22 at 11:11 am Reason: Typos
Old Nov 24, 22, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by jmd View Post
My understanding is that depending on the aircraft type, not all rows have the additional oxygen mask for the lap infant. Presumably this is what is causing the issue. CWS will know!!
It usually alternates by row as per my example below as a general rule of thumb.

So if 10ABC has oxygen masks then 11ABC wont. However 10DEF wouldnt have oxygen masks but row 11DEF would.
Old Nov 24, 22, 11:41 am

My parents and brother got split up in CE on flight back from Dublin on Tuesday - originally 3F, 4DF and 3F was moved to 2F. Seat selection paid for. Email informing of this a few weeks beforehand. Odd. I assumed to accommodate a family or someone needing special assistance.
Old Nov 24, 22, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fluffymitten View Post
But you could swap yourselves and sit in each other's seat. You don't need it printed on your boarding pass for you to sit in your partner's seat and she in yours.

I know you wanted to sit together, so it's not a solution to being messed around but it's something to bear in mind if it happens again and it can't be fixed.
Ah, got you now. I suppose we’d have worked something out if it had got that far.

Palmer
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Having had the pleasure over the years to book flight with 3 different infants, I cannot recall an option to assign the lap infant to anyone else than the lead passenger for the booking, which was always me, and naturally I simply alternated with my wife over the course of the flight in holding the baby, so no something that should be a problem
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Anonba View Post
It usually alternates by row as per my example below as a general rule of thumb.

So if 10ABC has oxygen masks then 11ABC wont. However 10DEF wouldnt have oxygen masks but row 11DEF would.
It doesn’t make any difference in CE as there are minimum 3 above the seats with only two used in the CE configuration so there’s always one spare.
volar, jmd, nancypants and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
It doesn’t make any difference in CE as there are minimum 3 above the seats with only two used in the CE configuration so there’s always one spare.
I was going to post this too. However, knowing BAs cracking IT systems it probably can’t cope with that concept, and assumes any narrow body is 3-3 throughout.

I’ve also had allocation issues in the past for the same issue, and end up in rows with four masks.
jmd likes this.

Search this Thread