BA Keep Splitting Up My Family

Old Nov 24, 22, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jmd View Post
My understanding is that depending on the aircraft type, not all rows have the additional oxygen mask for the lap infant. Presumably this is what is causing the issue. CWS will know!!
Correct, it should not be a problem in CE on one level, but sometimes all 3 seats are used. It alternates by row and different aircraft have different rows, so it's quite complex. Amazingly though, the seat map in MMB is accurate based on current information, so MMB normally won't let you select the wrong family seating arrangements. The problem that can arise is if there is a late aircraft swap, then the lap parent may get moved and another passenger is moved into the vacant seat. And of course if 10 minutes later the change is cancelled, then it may then be impossible to move back.
jmd and crazy8534 like this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 1:53 pm

To ride on this - I've got a flight coming up with 2 infants in CE. There are 3 adults but I'd prefer really to have the 2 infants together. I can't select seats that allow this though in MMB. Firstly - does anyone know on a G-GATx which rows have 4 masks and secondly do crew on board know? Or will they not let 2 infants in the same row at all?
Old Nov 24, 22, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Maybe it’s a sign?
Old Nov 24, 22, 2:06 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
How does one request this service when I fly with family?
jmd, daftboy, britbronco22 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sammyg901 View Post
To ride on this - I've got a flight coming up with 2 infants in CE. There are 3 adults but I'd prefer really to have the 2 infants together. I can't select seats that allow this though in MMB. Firstly - does anyone know on a G-GATx which rows have 4 masks and secondly do crew on board know? Or will they not let 2 infants in the same row at all?
Yes the crew will know and can shuffle accordingly. You just need to play around with MMB to get the best option, what ever it says will be more accurate than me. But as you probably know, a G-GAT has a high risk of being exchanged for another aircraft. The key stage here is when you are within 72 hours from departure. Later changes are very possible but the move to FLY is the biggie here.
Old Nov 24, 22, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo View Post
Having had the pleasure over the years to book flight with 3 different infants, I cannot recall an option to assign the lap infant to anyone else than the lead passenger for the booking, which was always me, and naturally I simply alternated with my wife over the course of the flight in holding the baby, so no something that should be a problem
I’m not sure who Passenger 1 is on this booking, I can’t recall who I assigned when I booked it. Maybe I assigned myself. I thought I’d assigned my partner, as I booked the flights through her account.

Email confirmation has the pecking order as partner, me and then infant. I messed up our payment cards in any event - the charge hitting my account…

Palmer
Old Nov 24, 22, 2:33 pm

I had a play around with MMB and it seems hard coded that 2 infants cannot "sit next to eachother". Which doesn't make sense in CE. So if I knew which rows had 4 masks (on a G-GATx and a regular G-EUxx A320) I could have a go at getting us into the correct seats though no big deal (except for the other person in the row ​​​​​​​​​ )
Old Nov 24, 22, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Sounds like you both checked in separately just yourselves and not the rest of the booking .. FWIW generally when travelling with kids I've found it easier to just check everyone in together .. if someone is travelling to the airport separately then they can just retrieve their own boarding card on their BA app .. that seems to minimise the risk of this sort of stuff happening
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aren’t the infant masks different from the adult ones (eg, smaller)? If so it wouldn’t matter that there were 3 above 2 CE seats, as the third would not be appropriate for the child. And therefore you could only have one infant and only in a row with the 4th/child mask.
Old Nov 25, 22, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I’m not sure who Passenger 1 is on this booking, I can’t recall who I assigned when I booked it. Maybe I assigned myself. I thought I’d assigned my partner, as I booked the flights through her account.

Email confirmation has the pecking order as partner, me and then infant. I messed up our payment cards in any event - the charge hitting my account…

Palmer
normally the lead passenger is the one who paid for the ticket however if the person who paid is not travelling then the first passenger in the booking screen will become lead passenger. It is not necessary the order in mmb but again (at least in my case) usually the fist person is the lead passenger.
also in regards of AMEX it doesn’t check names so you can use your partner amex under your name. (Not what I suggest to do as it can complicate things later) however in BA booing the card holder will become the lead passenger if it travels on the booking.
Palmer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 22, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Aren’t the infant masks different from the adult ones (eg, smaller)? If so it wouldn’t matter that there were 3 above 2 CE seats, as the third would not be appropriate for the child. And therefore you could only have one infant and only in a row with the 4th/child mask.
No they are not, you maybe thinking of life jackets?

Search this Thread