Wiki Posts
Search

New ‘group 1,2,3’ pillars

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Simonp27
BA0830 LHR-DUB this morning.
When ready to start boarding one of the Gate Agents approached the "new pillar" and invited Group 1s to approach the gates very clearly. I heard her turn back a couple of Group 2s. 2nd domestic flight in a row where Group 1 boarding was properly managed!
And as I stated earlier, with the pillars seems to be a new, or should I say old process, but now actively enforced. It's good to see GA's pushing back. It will only take a few weeks before everyone knows, G1, then G2 etc, so hopefully the queuing will lessen.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ratypus
my recent experience is it's been done well on long-haul (Group 1 first) and badly on short-haul ("Groups 1, 2 and 3 - which is so many people it's just not worth bothering). It's definitely annoyingly inconsistent. The "pillars" don't help, because they encourage Groups 1, 2 and 3 to queue up / mass by the priority lane, which means even if Group 1 is then called first it's often impractical to make your way through.
The pillars are only part of story, though. The more important part which, IME, BA do quite well is to instruct people to take a seat and await their boarding group. Obviously, there are the bloody minded, who choose not to take a seat and loiter instead. Depending on the degree of obstruction, I've seen gate agents proactively managing this. What I can't excuse though, is calling groups 1, 2 and 3 together because that is against BA's policy.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:58 am
ECR

Originally Posted by stephenjc
EDI-LHR last Saturday. We've had the 1-3 for a while, but something changed recently or we got a good gate agent.
Group 1 was called, only group 1 and it was policed at the pillar, anything but G1 and you were told to wait.
Then G2, etc.
Long may it continue.
For me this is the worst of both worlds. I'm in group 1, but invariably if they have a group 1-3 queue but call only group 1 then someone towards the back will assume they are the only person in the queue with Gold status and rudely barge their way past all the other group 1's in the queue as they are "priority".

I would prefer if they had separate pillars/queues for groups 1, 2 and 3, but if there is a single G1-3 queue I wish they would just board it all together. I'm not bothered if that means a few group 2 and 3 customers get to board before me.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
So I guess Group 0 for GGL/Prems isn't happening then
crazy8534 and Ramos like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
So I guess Group 0 for GGL/Prems isn't happening then
perhaps ggls/prems qualify for special assistance 😉
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
True, many of us are special and definitely require help

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 24, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
Originally Posted by warp757
I assume part of the problem is that in my experience BA always start boarding so late that it's clear an on time departure is already impossible, so then there's a rush to get everyone on asap. In that situation to be fair it's pretty frustrating for everyone watching the top groups trickle in while the clock ticks by - while it shouldn't be one or the other, I imagine when it reaches that point most people would rather depart on time than maintain clear separation of boarding groups and extend the boarding process.

No idea why this is, late boarding happens without fail on my BA flights, noticeably later than any other airlines I fly, to the point it almost seems deliberate. But I guess more likely is they're just stretched so thin they're always playing catch-up, in which case priority boarding becomes one of the easiest sacrifices to gain a bit of time.
Yes and with late boarding we still get 'to help us depart on time' when we are already 20 mins late....would be nice to leave on time just once
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by ECR
For me this is the worst of both worlds. I'm in group 1, but invariably if they have a group 1-3 queue but call only group 1 then someone towards the back will assume they are the only person in the queue with Gold status and rudely barge their way past all the other group 1's in the queue as they are "priority".

I would prefer if they had separate pillars/queues for groups 1, 2 and 3, but if there is a single G1-3 queue I wish they would just board it all together. I'm not bothered if that means a few group 2 and 3 customers get to board before me.
I think a lot of people genuinely don't process that Group 1 is absolutely everyone in CE plus all of the Golds/AA PlatPro/AA ExecPlat/OWEs from ET and is quite often (especially on EDI flights) about 1/3 of the plane.
I am trying to take a leaf from the book of CWS these days and take a "squeezeable" bag that can be pushed on top of others' hard cases in the overhead bins when I am just going "down and up", as it were.
If I could train myself to be happy with row 2 I would be able to just put it at my feet, but alas we are all a shade of DYKWIA I suppose...
Old Nov 24, 2022, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by crazy8534
... Group 1... is quite often (especially on EDI flights) about 1/3 of the plane.
Where Groups 1–3 can be more than 90%...
Old Nov 24, 2022, 4:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by crazy8534
I am trying to take a leaf from the book of CWS these days and take a "squeezeable" bag that can be pushed on top of others' hard cases in the overhead bins when I am just going "down and up"
I bought one of those *Skypak bags years ago after CWS posted about it and I've used it quite a lot and is perfect for 1-5 day trips, probably even a week. Makes for an easier life when travelling to be honest.

I really wouldn't take any roll on bag now and as CWS has stated before it's easily slung over your shoulder, out of sight of GAs and easily fits into some slot/crook of space on any overhead locker.

Ive been told twice, (yes told) as a Gold with G1, one of the first queing up onboard, that my standard roll on was being gate checked both on EDI to LHR flights hence my change to the Skypak bag. Polite chats asking why G1s were being easily targeted when G3 passengers some of whom had numerous bags weren't being asked.

*I have no connection or anything with the brand just to be clear!

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 24, 2022 at 4:22 pm
Old Nov 24, 2022, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Experienced this mess today on my full 321 flight. People had started queuing well before I arrived at the gate effectively blocking access to multiple gate. Flight being full customers were invited to check hand luggage but basically had no path to the gate agents adding chaos to chaos.

when boarding finally started, an agent bravely went up the queue like one of those baby salmons swimming upstream trying to ask anyone not in group 1 to move away (that was >90% of the people in there) and conversely trying to invite those of us in group 1 to make our way to the gate which I managed since I only have a backpack and my body is still pre-Xmas food but of course everyone asked to stay sat (as repeatedly asked for n the announcements) or stand aside looks as those invited to board as though we were done mega criminals because in their eyes we were jumping a queue that should not have been there in the first place and was simply inconveniencing everyone and slowing down boarding majorly.

The problem with The average Briton is that once they’ve started queuing you can’t make them un-queue, so those pillars inviting people from two groups to queue when they effectively shouldn’t is the equivalent of telling a kid they can’t open their Christmas present till Xmas day whilst leaving it on their bedside table for a couple of weeks before the date! Chaos guaranteed…
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The problem with The average Briton is that once they’ve started queuing you can’t make them un-queue, so those pillars inviting people from two groups to queue when they effectively shouldn’t is the equivalent of telling a kid they can’t open their Christmas present till Xmas day whilst leaving it on their bedside table for a couple of weeks before the date! Chaos guaranteed…
Actually the pillars specifically ask people to remain seated until their group number is called - see the photo upthread. As does IDAHO, as does the standard gate message script, as does the recorded version. It's just a Brit thing, and the best thing is just not be part of the problem.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Angry

Originally Posted by Simonp27
BA0830 LHR-DUB this morning.
When ready to start boarding one of the Gate Agents approached the "new pillar" and invited Group 1s to approach the gates very clearly. I heard her turn back a couple of Group 2s. 2nd domestic flight in a row where Group 1 boarding was properly managed!
LHR-DUB is not a domestic flight.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by stifle
LHR-DUB is not a domestic flight.
Very true.

Should have said CE short trip.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Actually the pillars specifically ask people to remain seated until their group number is called - see the photo upthread. As does IDAHO, as does the standard gate message script, as does the recorded version. It's just a Brit thing, and the best thing is just not be part of the problem.
oh I absolutely agree the messages are clear (even mention the clear and repeated announcements in my post) , but somehow, it’s just that some people apparently “can’t help” to queue!!’ Honestly, any sensible British airport would put a signal “queue here” in front of their most expensive duty free shop and their sales would boom!!

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 25, 2022 at 4:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.