BA 287 & BA 286 Cancelled Nov 21 - reason?

Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
BA 287 & BA 286 Cancelled Nov 21 - reason?

BA 287 from LHR to SFO was cancelled earlier today, close to scheduled departure time. As such the return, BA 286 from SFO to LHR shortly thereafter due to the cancelled inbound.
I've looked on ExpertFlyer but cannot find reason for cancellation. Any insights? I'll be submitting my EU261 claim since I was schedule on the 286 and the next available rebook option arrives LHR +15hrs later.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't have any information here, the usual causes of very late cancellations of this sort are shortage of crew or aircraft going technical with no easy replacement available.

For the rebooking option, if the new times are inconvenient - and I'm assuming you are looking online at the Disruption menu - these rarely show anything other than BA or AA. It's occasionally possible for agents to rebook on other airlines, so VS for example, also you may find another connection which the menu doesn't pick up , it doesn't have corrrect MCTs in it. But you would need to calll up for these options.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't have any information here, the usual causes of very late cancellations of this sort are shortage of crew or aircraft going technical with no easy replacement available.

For the rebooking option, if the new times are inconvenient - and I'm assuming you are looking online at the Disruption menu - these rarely show anything other than BA or AA. It's occasionally possible for agents to rebook on other airlines, so VS for example, also you may find another connection which the menu doesn't pick up , it doesn't have corrrect MCTs in it. But you would need to calll up for these options.
thanks / I went through the online options as well as some other research but was hoping to avoid connecting flights given how busy domestic US travel is this week. I found another routing option acceptable, but more interested in capturing source of cancellation so that BA does renege on the compensation liability given options available are beyond the limited delay window.
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by SFGuy37
BA 287 from LHR to SFO was cancelled earlier today, close to scheduled departure time. As such the return, BA 286 from SFO to LHR shortly thereafter due to the cancelled inbound.
I've looked on ExpertFlyer but cannot find reason for cancellation. Any insights? I'll be submitting my EU261 claim since I was schedule on the 286 and the next available rebook option arrives LHR +15hrs later.
BA287 to SFO was a tech cancellation.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by haroon145
BA287 to SFO was a tech cancellation.
Thank you!
haroon145 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Does this mean we’re short of A380s again? Am on BA193 to DFW on Wednesday and there have been some fairly big delays over the last few days.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sigma421
Does this mean were short of A380s again? Am on BA193 to DFW on Wednesday and there have been some fairly big delays over the last few days.
Looks like there was a problem on ba193 today. I was on AA21 which got in 30 mins early and the full plane load of the delayed ba193 is in the very long CBP queue in front of me.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sigma421
Does this mean were short of A380s again? Am on BA193 to DFW on Wednesday and there have been some fairly big delays over the last few days.
Quite possibly, yes. In the last day or so, BA have started a daily A380 to DOH in connection with the World Cup so, potentially, there is less slack in the schedule currently.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Quite possibly, yes. In the last day or so, BA have started a daily A380 to DOH in connection with the World Cup so, potentially, there is less slack in the schedule currently.

Indeed, here is the current utilization of the fleet:

Tuesday 22nd:
G-XLEA - arrived back from JNB this morning and off to ORD today
G-XLEB - arrived back from MIA this morning, nothing planned for today (yet)
G-XLEC - due back from LAX this afternoon and then off to DOH tonight
G-XLED - due back from DXB this afternoon and then off to JNB tonight
G-XLEE - due back from DOH late this afternoon
G-XLEF - due back from DFW later on and off to DXB tonight
G-XLEG - undergoing maintenance since Nov 12th
G-XLEH - went tech yesterday so couldn't serve SFO, will serve SFO today now
G-XLEI - came back from ORD this morning, due to operate the MIA flight today
G-XLEJ - went to JNB last night, due back tomorrow morning
G-XLEK - nothing scheduled for today (yet)
G-XLEL - came back from DOH yesterday and due to service DFW today

Pilot37
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Sadly it has replaced QR15 which i was booked on in Q-Suite, but the email assures i will receive the same service so that's reassuring :-)
efincomputer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
My flight back from EDI last week went tech while we were standing in the boarding queue. Out of 8 BA flights this year (EDI, ALC, FCO, MAN) 5 have been materially late (1 hour+) or completely cancelled in advance, and 1 went tech.
I am flying BA to Rome before xmas to make a connecting flight the next day to Australia, and I am so nervous about BA's unreliability - and unwillingness to make prompt alternative arrangements in disruption, unless you steer the call centre agent to what you want - that I have bought an alternative fully refundable fare on LH to Rome as well.
As someone who has accrued hundreds of thousands of airmiles in my career, across many airlines, I have never felt such a low level of confidence in BA's ability to deliver.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
I was on the 287 on the 20th and we had a number of strange electronic issues during the flight. Not sure if it was the same frame for the 21st but the in flight manager mentioned to another passenger that he expected it would need to be brought in for maintenance.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by wutlol
I was on the 287 on the 20th and we had a number of strange electronic issues during the flight. Not sure if it was the same frame for the 21st but the in flight manager mentioned to another passenger that he expected it would need to be brought in for maintenance.
If you left on the 20th Nov from SFO, then your aircraft was G-XLED which has serviced Dubai since and is off to Jo'burg tonight. If you left SFO on the 19th, then it was G-XLEJ which headed off to Jo'burg last night.

Pilot37
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by Pilot37
If you left on the 20th Nov from SFO, then your aircraft was G-XLED which has serviced Dubai since and is off to Jo'burg tonight. If you left SFO on the 19th, then it was G-XLEJ which headed off to Jo'burg last night.

Pilot37
Thanks for the info, Im on a road trip with poor cell service and so I couldnt get my flight tracking software to load the info I needed.

To be honest, the manager could have just been gassing up the passenger, since said FFer was making a big deal about the issues. (Apparently IFE restarted on its own multiples times in First. My seat and a few others in CW refused to move back into position as we approached landing and some lights refused to come on after the right engines were shut off even though ground power had been connected. IME with MX all stuff that could have been sorted in a reasonable time frame, although the combination of them all could make it trickier. Obviously ended up not mattering.)
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Originally Posted by wutlol
Thanks for the info, I’m on a road trip with poor cell service and so I couldn’t get my flight tracking software to load the info I needed.

To be honest, the manager could have just been gassing up the passenger, since said FFer was making a big deal about the issues. (Apparently IFE restarted on its own multiples times in First. My seat and a few others in CW refused to move back into position as we approached landing and some lights refused to come on after the right engines were shut off even though ground power had been connected. IME with MX all stuff that could have been sorted in a reasonable time frame, although the combination of them all could make it trickier. Obviously ended up not mattering.)
It was G-XLED I was on when the IFE stopped working mid-flight and the WiFi never worked.
The crew seemed to be aware it was an A380 not to want to be on...
I was under the misapprehension that it was G-XLEO having misread the marking on the nose but Pilot37 has set me right now!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.