Best & Worst US Airports

Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Virgin Atlantic, Alaska, JetBlue, Marriott Bonvoy, Hertz
Best & Worst US Airports

WSJ just released its rankings of the top 20 largest US airports and SFO came out on top!
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bes...22-11668645546

Other than the fact BA flies its older products here, I tend to agree.

On another thread the consensus was that ORD sucks. Any others that people love or hate?
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Best airports USA that BA use (as this is BA ft board) I would suggest are

Las, then lax for connections and TBIT followed by SFO. With jfk t7 the worst.

I personally also have a soft spot for PHX.

Don't subscribe to WSJ, so no idea what they say, apart from SFO.

But always interested in thoughts from fters, in particular US airports BA use.
Tobias-UK, becks1 and rt23456p like this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I may be biased but I do like flying to / from LAS. TSA is efficient, even when busy. CBP is usually a breeze as the BA 275 is the only international arrival at that time of day so there are no queues. There's a Centurion Lounge too, and we're recognised as regulars so that's nice.

I'd agree about SMF in the mid-sized category. We have family mid-way between SMF and RNO so we've been there a few times lately and it's a nice airport. It's quite a way outside of Sacramento itself which is probably the only drawback.

LAX is still plagued by poor public transport connections and congestion around the terminal loop but they are making a real effort to modernise the airport, and improve public transport accessibility. The modern day TBIT is an absolute dream compared to the same terminal of old. It'll be interesting to see the new look T4 once they have finished with it as the terminal is currently very cramped due to all the construction that's taking place.

I am surprised that ANC wasn't on the list. I know BA doesn't fly there (yet) but it's an efficient airport and there are excellent views from the AS lounge of the apron and runways. Lots of freight action - everything from 747s to DC-3s if that's your thing!
Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by joydiv
WSJ just released its rankings of the top 20 largest US airports and SFO came out on top!
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bes...22-11668645546
That's behind a paywall...

I was surprised how bad AUS was on arrival. I've flown in domestically, but flew in from LHR two weeks and and it reminded me of Teesside Airport from the early 90s! Such a strange airport. Small, outdated, etc.

Worse, you land and have to pickup your bag, then queue for ages to go through immigration, whilst watching the Global Entry and native Americans in separate queues getting priority over the few booths that are open, so the main line shuffles forward extremely slowly.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I may be biased but I do like flying to / from LAS. TSA is efficient, even when busy. CBP is usually a breeze as the BA 275 is the only international arrival at that time of day so there are no queues. There's a Centurion Lounge too, and we're recognised as regulars so that's nice.

I'd agree about SMF in the mid-sized category. We have family mid-way between SMF and RNO so we've been there a few times lately and it's a nice airport. It's quite a way outside of Sacramento itself which is probably the only drawback.

LAX is still plagued by poor public transport connections and congestion around the terminal loop but they are making a real effort to modernise the airport, and improve public transport accessibility. The modern day TBIT is an absolute dream compared to the same terminal of old. It'll be interesting to see the new look T4 once they have finished with it as the terminal is currently very cramped due to all the construction that's taking place.

I am surprised that ANC wasn't on the list. I know BA doesn't fly there (yet) but it's an efficient airport and there are excellent views from the AS lounge of the apron and runways. Lots of freight action - everything from 747s to DC-3s if that's your thing!
LAS and it's TSA security is efficient as you say, (can get a bit busy at times, but you can also use T1 if required). Also for BA arrivals CBP. And if the strip is the destination, couldn't be closer.

Centurion and priority pass lounge X 2 , T1 and T3.

Re LAX connections, flight connections was my positive on LAX. The transport to get there not so great as you state.

I too am slightly biaised as I only choose a number of airports with BA to fly to and from in US.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I like Washington National, on the Metro, and good access to DC, I like Tampa too. I dislike MIA and MCO, if only for their near complete toll road access.

The last time I went to SFO the train had issues and involved a long journey the wrong way round the airport to get to the car rental centre, where they know all about adding a silly named fee or two. LAX is OK.

Having GE the TSA experience is near perfect now, and near stress free.
River in Sight and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I am biased too. TPA is one of the best airports in the USA. Compact and modern with excellent facilities and quick to get in and out of with a short stay car park moments away from arrivals and a decent AA lounge.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:28 pm

Of BA airports, I like DFW (but only Terminal D!) because its efficient, has decent lounges, and I know my way around. Of non-BA airports, SAV comes top by a million miles, the atrium is beautiful. Mid-size, my vote goes to RDU.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:41 pm

[QUOTE=Geordie405;34768577
I'd agree about SMF in the mid-sized category.[/QUOTE]

Yep, SMF is down the road a piece here but it is an easy drive and the airport itself is small enough yet big enough. Sure wouldn't mind a couple of European non-stops starting up here...
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by joydiv
On another thread the consensus was that ORD sucks.
ORD is absolutely dreadful for people who need to connect, especially if international to domestic (or vice versa). But I think it's pretty solid as a home airport - hub to two major US airlines, nonstops to every continent, relatively easy access from the city.
NoY and joydiv like this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Virgin Atlantic, Alaska, JetBlue, Marriott Bonvoy, Hertz
Weird, I don't subscribe either but could see the preview. Might depend on IP address? The list was as follows (ranked by WSJ score). Think BA flies to them all except FLL?
▶ 1 San Francisco (SFO)
▶ 2 Atlanta (ATL)
▶ 3 Minneapolis (MSP)
▶ 4 Detroit (DTW)
▶ 5 Phoenix (PHX)
▶ 6 Los Angeles (LAX)
▶ 7 Houston Bush (IAH)
▶ 8 Las Vegas (LAS)
▶ 9 Charlotte (CLT)
▶ 10 Seattle (SEA)
▶ 11 Denver (DEN)
▶ 12 Boston (BOS)
▶ 13 Philadelphia (PHL)
▶ 14 Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
▶ 15 Orlando (MCO)
▶ 16 Miami (MIA)
▶ 17 Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
▶ 18 Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
▶ 19 New York JFK (JFK)
▶ 20 Newark (EWR)
crazyarmadillo and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:46 pm

Well I must have gotten lucky. Just landed today at EWR. Ten minutes from deplaning to passing through immigration. Even a pleasant officer at the desk. And I usually find ewr pretty good anyway. Far better than JFK.

Cant see why its at #20!
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

SEA would rank higher but for its horrendous TSA security lines. On a recent SEA-LAS r/t, it took us 90 mins to clear security at SEA, and 15 mins to clear security at LAS.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
SFO I found architecturally beautiful, almost up there with HEL.

LAX TBIT I actually felt a little let down by, it was not as light and open as I expected from such a new terminal, plus TSA pre check was very slow. I didnt visit the old terminal so cant appreciate the improvement though.

AUS and PHX I really rated, fast, efficient, light and spacious.

MIA was horrific but that was some years ago.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
BNA has had a lot of building work of late, but I still find it much easier than the large hubs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.