Forced seat change (Club) - FLUB options?

Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Forced seat change (Club) - FLUB options?

I have a longstanding Club World booking to Tokyo (BA 5) on a 787-900 (with F cabin which is not used) in December and had booked seat 7K. Today I received an email moving me for 'operational reasons' to 13E (middle seat back row), probably one of the worst seats right at the back of the larger of the two J cabins. All J seats are now full/not reservable and indeed the flight BA5 is not even bookable on BA.com anymore.

My question: does this increase my chances of FLUB assignment and if so when? And I wonder why this option wasn't offered instead of this seat change since 13E represents such a signifiant change from the one I'd had before. Looking on Expertflyer it now seems that 7J/K are both blocked for some reason. Phoned BA and they said the usual 'not sure why'. I am Gold Card so would have thought they might try some other moves first?
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would suspect that is because it's a flight crew rest seat. 7K on anything beyond about DEN is likely to result in this outcome so best to avoid that one. They should block it from day -355 really, but there again there are so many aircraft swaps I can see it gets difficult to manage. 13E has some merits, so I can see why you ended up there, if you are sleeping it's arguably better than 7K

It won't make any difference to your FLUB chances, that's purely status related.
orbitmic, becks1, rt23456p and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
7JK are Flight Crew rest seats.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Interesting. I have a Club World booking for April on the BA 5 and 6. I had an email on Friday about a seat change moving me to 13K for both flights. Whats going on?

Doc Copper
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
What was your original seat?
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Download the expertflyer seat alert app , enter your flight details and set up an alert for a better seat to open up. It works well and as a new user you get a free alert to start with.
becks1 and rt23456p like this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:25 pm

Similar happened to me for an early December flight - lost 4K on 777 and booted into a middle pair (yuck). 4K is now blocked - I assume for crew rest.

Had an expertflyer alert so was able to grab last aisle seat.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That sounds like a LGW service beyond Florida.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
What was your original seat?
I honestly can't remember and I didn't make a note of the seats at the time. Its the outbound BA5 where seating has been changed to 13K, inbound on the BA6 was 13K from the start, I made the flight booking eight days ago. On the BA6 all of the window pairs in the small forward cabin were blocked, which I thought was possible but unusual, considering that other than me in 13K no other seats had been allocated. I am OK with having 13K.

Doc Copper
Can I help you likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That sounds like a LGW service beyond Florida.
or even in Florida - I've been caught out (once) by booking 4k from Orlando and getting turfed out at short notice for crew rest. 4A, 4K are desirable window seats with direct aisle access.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I don't quite get the concept of crew rest in the passenger cabin. Is it cheaper to loose revenue from the seats than it is to install the crew rest compartment above the cabin? I guess the crew rest above the cabin probably does have to be a line fit, but still it can't be a surprise that a 787-9 will mainly be doing long haul. (though ANA has them for domestic only as well)

I have never seen crew rest seats in the cabin on the airline I mainly fly, so I am a bit curious as to why the cabin is being used on some airlines and not on others.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I don't quite get the concept of crew rest in the passenger cabin. Is it cheaper to loose revenue from the seats than it is to install the crew rest compartment above the cabin? I guess the crew rest above the cabin probably does have to be a line fit, but still it can't be a surprise that a 787-9 will mainly be doing long haul. (though ANA has them for domestic only as well)
Basically, very long flights need more crew/a change of crew, and the crew rest area in the 789nis insufficient to accommodate them (whilst enough to accommodate crew needs on a long haul with just one set of crew). So on those very long flights, 7K is always used as crew rest.

To go back to the OP's original question, no, BA won't give you priority for FLUB because you lost your seat assignments. FLUB will also only be used if there is no other option (ie if the J cabin isn't sufficient to accommodate all confirmed J customers and necessary opups). If so, BA will open FLUB for just the number of passengers it will actually need to sit there and normally in strict order of status.

Of course if the op has a high status and the flight is overbooked, it may mean that they are lucky, but there is simply nothing for you to do that would increase the chances (and no, asking won't make a difference either). The only other relevance of FLUB, especially if not with a high status is that if other passengers are FLUB, their previously assigned seats may well become available again, though to be honest, when flights are a long time away, seats will become available anyway as people cancel, change, etc, so just keep checking regularly if you don't like 13E there is a reasonable chance you'll be able to change for something else at some point or other.

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 19, 2022 at 3:06 am
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Basically, very long flights need more crew/a change of crew, and the crew rest area in the 789nis insufficient to accommodate them (whilst enough to accommodate crew needs on a long haul with just one set of crew). So on those very long flights, 7K is always used as crew rest.
So other airlines just ordered bigger crew rest areas? JAL from Helsinki to Tokyo south around Russia, or Tokyo to London north of Canada over Greenland and Iceland does not require them to encroach on the passenger seats on 787-9s.
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:21 am

It is the case that BA did decline some modifications ot recent fleet purchases / leases, where the option was there to add more crew accommodation outwith passenger cabins. It has a cost and other implications for the long term value of the asset. But the other factor is labour agreements with BA crews as to what is acceptable working practice.

It should be said that while they are blocked on some routes in terms of advance MMB, on the day the crew members may decide they simply won't need the seats and will put them back into inventory. I think that's more likely on the shorter routes departing LHR.

I think the other problem here is that BA outsourced this area of flight management and so they aren't as nimble as they used to be anyway, if passengers never saw these seats unblocked then these complaints would not arise. Add into that the current fleet mixes, CS rollout and frequent equipment changes on a particular service then some gaps in the process are now evident.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is the case that BA did decline some modifications ot recent fleet purchases / leases, where the option was there to add more crew accommodation outwith passenger cabins. It has a cost and other implications for the long term value of the asset. But the other factor is labour agreements with BA crews as to what is acceptable working practice.

It should be said that while they are blocked on some routes in terms of advance MMB, on the day the crew members may decide they simply won't need the seats and will put them back into inventory. I think that's more likely on the shorter routes departing LHR.

I think the other problem here is that BA outsourced this area of flight management and so they aren't as nimble as they used to be anyway, if passengers never saw these seats unblocked then these complaints would not arise. Add into that the current fleet mixes, CS rollout and frequent equipment changes on a particular service then some gaps in the process are now evident.
Interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.