Wiki Posts
Search

England and Wales arrive in Qatar…

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
England and Wales arrive in Qatar…

Disappointing to see that British Airways did not fly either the England or Wales team to Qatar, Virgin and Qatar respectively got the nod 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
And the award for the most tenuous BA connection goes to...
aidy, orbitmic, mikeyfly and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
And when BA pull an aircraft out of service to be able to fund the outbound flight and then short notice launch another hull over to DOH for the return sector, whenever they (likely abruptly) finish their tournament, I’m sure all travellers would appreciate the cancellation to their flight to oblige the aircraft.

Perhaps the FA(s) aren’t willing to pay what BA cost it up to be? ie, 4-6 r/trip cancellations to be able to free up the plane.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by surryson
And when BA pull an aircraft out of service to be able to fund the outbound flight and then short notice launch another hull over to DOH for the return sector, whenever they (likely abruptly) finish their tournament, I’m sure all travellers would appreciate the cancellation to their flight to oblige the aircraft.

Perhaps the FA(s) aren’t willing to pay what BA cost it up to be? ie, 4-6 r/trip cancellations to be able to free up the plane.
But BA fly to DOH daily anyway. So why would it mess with their schedules?
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I don't think BA will worry too much about not being associated with this particular world cup.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
Not the first time BA have lost a 'PR' flight to VS, I've heard one specific instance from BA flight crew where a charity used BA regularly until the prices went up and VS offered to do it for free once simply for the PR benefits.

And I think a huge percentage of us, given a choice would choose QR over BA if we had to fly this route so a better experience for the athletes and teams.

CB
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ademanuele
Disappointing to see that British Airways did not fly either the England or Wales team to Qatar, Virgin and Qatar respectively got the nod 🤷🏻‍♂️
If BA had been expected to do it for nowt I'm not surprised.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by wb1969
you think the FA would have their ‘elite’ talents mixing with ordinary passengers? Trust me, it’s charter only and the price also has to be right.
rt23456p and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I don’t imagine “the nod” was gratis! And aren’t BA more aligned to rugby ?
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: Some...
The French team didn't use Air France either.

They chartered a plane from "La Compagnie", an A321 with only business seats that usually operates between Paris and New York.

Regarding England and VS, the A350 can carry much more people than just the players and the staff. Wondering if someone/who else was on the plane...
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Mega-million budgets for insanely paid “sports celebs” … rent your own bloody jets.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969
It wouldn't if you put the players in Y
Old Nov 16, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by Agent69
It wouldn't if you put the players in Y
Whoa now! I can live with the migrant deaths and human rights abuses put forth by the host nation, but this is truly a step too far.
T8191 and rt23456p like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:54 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by thibderoc
The French team didn't use Air France either.

They chartered a plane from "La Compagnie", an A321 with only business seats that usually operates between Paris and New York.

Regarding England and VS, the A350 can carry much more people than just the players and the staff. Wondering if someone/who else was on the plane...
Surplus to requirement staff and potential family and friends of the athletes? A single Gulfstream can already carry 18 players + key team officials.
Originally Posted by surryson

Likely FA got a free flight as part of the sponsorship.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by thibderoc
Who... press perhaps, w&gs?
Or what.... a cargo hold full of balls? Tented accommodation sponsored by Halfords?
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.