Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

If we care, we cannot carry on with this carry-on madness

Old Nov 13, 2022, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass

I really try to be patient and understanding, not just with travel but in general. That said, it seems like the two years without travel for most (due to COVID-19) has caused a massive number of less frequent travelers to think travel rules (such as carry on sizes and amounts) are mere suggestions.

On my flight today, the person ahead of me had a suitcase well beyond the dimensions proscribed, a large shopping bag which would not fit under a seat and took up half a bin itself, and a very large duffel purse which was too big to be placed under a seat. This traveler alone filled one and a half bins. We pushed off 15 minutes late simply due to bags having to be tagged and placed underneath.

Surely at some point there has to be more proactive enforcement, as well as penalties with teeth. For example, if a bag is placed in the hold because one exceeded the carry-on allotment, one should be charged for a checked bag.

Some might argue that we should not increase the cost of travel further. If thats the case, then perhaps we require people to size their carry-ons and personal items quickly at the check-in desk. For those not using the check-in desk, they can use the BA app when checking in to take a picture of their items; both Android and iOS have software utilities that can accurately determine sizes of objects. This could have the knock-on effect of increasing security efficiency. One of the big reasons Ive noticed security lines taking longer at LHR has been people having 3-4 bins worth of stuff consistently. Not only does this increase the raw amount that needs to be scanned and assessed but, for inexperienced travelers especially, it increases the likelihood of a secondary inspection, which contribute greatly to line slowdowns.

One other option might be to give avios or small flight credits for people who commit to (and confirm at the airport) not bringing a carry-on. I believe it likely that there is a reasonable amount of compensation which can change enough peoples choices at the margin to significantly reduce security/boarding logjams created by carry-on madness.
dcmike, edcaya, RJD1983 and 19 others like this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
I agree that carry-on is out of control. I suspect that many of the gate agents simply don't want the inevitable fight that will ensue if they try to enforce the rules. They often ignore bag size and number of bags and leave it to the cabin crew to police.
Interestingly on my last two AA JFK-LAX flights the ground crews have enforced the limits and announced that this is regardless of class of travel or status. And they have done it, pulling aside First Class passengers to get them to repack or check their bags.
RJD1983, Sealink, the810 and 10 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:06 am

Given BA's extremely tight countdown to departure boarding process, the incentive exists by gate agents (BA or contracted handling company) to just get the aircraft out on time. Effectively this shifts the problem on to the cabin crew to manage.
BA could introduce the performance measurement to the gate agents if they wanted to but this far choose not to for whatever reason. My guess is a short countdown to departure is more important than introducing enforcement and payment processes so near to departure which will increase the time agents need to start boarding.

I flew on one of the 320 NEO's last week with the new larger overheads which can take a decent amount of roll-aboards side on wheels first compared to the standard overheads. If only people actually listened to the repeated PA's and didn't place items in them sideways creating the illusion the locker is full.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I completely agree - when boarding my flight to Madrid last week, the lady in front of me had 4 separate items. I pointed this out to the ground attendant as we were waiting on the jet bridge and she was waiting with her colleague to check someone was on the flight. She look incredulous and turned to her colleague and said who let this pass - I looked at her and said you did as I saw you were the one who checked her boarding pass!! She looked a bit sheepish and then ignored me.

Of all the things BA could improve, carry on enforcement on short haul would get my biggest support.

Regards

aks120
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
To be fair to those bringing aboard too much luggage a lot of blame can be laid at BAs feet with the repeated baggage failures. I normally check luggage but after BA decided to simply not unload my aircrafts luggage and effectively told us to get out of the terminal, Ive been taking hand baggage far more frequently.

I wouldnt want to see BA become like Ryanair using a bag sizer for everyone. However I full agree its out of control. On a recent flight in first someone was blocking the aisle for ages with two suitcases that were what I would call a medium size check in bag.

She was struggling to get them into the overhead lockers as they were so large and heavy. If that had fallen out onto someone it would do them a serious injury if not kill them.

I think perhaps a small amount of discretion and common sense in premium cabins but not when people are blatantly taking the mickey.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
One option would be to make everyone below silver or bronze check their bags, and make carry on a status/premium cabin only guarantee.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I think status/CE travellers can be the worst offenders!

aks120
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:31 am

A clear policy let alone stricter one is well overdue. This for me is the issue - the policy is too ambiguous and rarely enforced therefore completely misunderstood and taken advantage of so is it really passenger behaviour at fault?
And who decided that putting a yellow tag on a bag was sensible? I see people just take them off as soon as the get through the gate and when you have a group of passengers who speak no or limited English, they may as well think the yellow tag is a nice pretty freebie.

Anyone who has ever flown EasyJet and Ryanair knows exactly what they can and cannot take as free hand luggage and the gate agents enforce it.
cammyloon, awayIgo, gw76 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:02 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by atcer28
To be fair to those bringing aboard too much luggage a lot of blame can be laid at BA’s feet with the repeated baggage failures. I normally check luggage but after BA decided to simply not unload my aircraft’s luggage and effectively told us to get out of the terminal, I’ve been taking hand baggage far more frequently.
Agree, when things were running smoothly I would always check my bag because I felt that was easier than bothering with the hassle of a carry-on. I would pay extra for a Plus fare to check a bag when flying ET. Then all these issues with checked luggage started, I waited over an hour for my bag at LHR T5. I have never checked a bag since.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by aks120
I think status/CE travellers can be the worst offenders!

aks120
Can't help but think that repeated threads like this one don't help - How far can I stretch cabin bag size in F ?

For me the answer is simple. Carry on baggage is baggage that you carry. If it has wheels it goes in the hold.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by Door5L
And who decided that putting a yellow tag on a bag was sensible? I see people just take them off as soon as the get through the gate and when you have a group of passengers who speak no or limited English, they may as well think the yellow tag is a nice pretty freebie.
The first time I was given the yellow tag I thought it was a name tag - eg to write my name and contact details on and attach to my bag in case I misplaced it, Those are commonly provided by airlines in Australia at check-in desks..
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Markie
I agree that carry-on is out of control. I suspect that many of the gate agents simply don't want the inevitable fight that will ensue if they try to enforce the rules. They often ignore bag size and number of bags and leave it to the cabin crew to police.
Interestingly on my last two AA JFK-LAX flights the ground crews have enforced the limits and announced that this is regardless of class of travel or status. And they have done it, pulling aside First Class passengers to get them to repack or check their bags.
Why doesn't this get sorted out at the check in desk. Everyone gets a tag put on their allowed cabin bag (s) and everything else goes in the hold.
Sealink and testycal like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I travel very light (round the world with 7kg) so Im not on the problem causing side of this, but I have to wonder whether this is quite the apocalyptic question posed in the thread title?

I dont remember being on a BA flight where carry on hasnt been managed effectively onboard. Some bags get pulled off for checking, some small items get pulled down under seats, and flights arent delayed.

Maybe its a worry issue? People are concerned that the chancers will take the space and force your bags under the seat in front? Or people see this as a fairness thing with others taking more than their due? Certainly the idea that you get a pass for status is elitist, and given that a classic offender is the important business person in a hurry with a large roll on and laptop bag, its maybe penalising the wrong end.

I flew a lot of TAP last week. They proactively walk the lines weighing bags. Not sure that would be appreciated if BA started it.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
One option would be to make everyone below silver or bronze check their bags, and make carry on a status/premium cabin only guarantee.
An option that isn’t going to happen because HBO fares were introduced (firstly at LGW) specifically to take market share from EasyJet et al! I do think that hardened HBOers see BA as a soft touch as you don’t exactly see gate agents wielding card readers but, I do agree that something needs to change. My preference would be something subtle but targeted, to get the message over.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:20 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Agent69
Why doesn't this get sorted out at the check in desk. Everyone gets a tag put on their allowed cabin bag (s) and everything else goes in the hold.
Because unless you are also checking hold luggage, there is generally no need to go to a check in desk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.