Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA2703 TFS - LGW 10 Nov Returned to airport

Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold

Todays flight has returned to Tenerife because of smoke smell in cabin. We are now being held airside in a holding area.
Can anyone give guidance as to what is likely to happen next.
Flight departed 14:40 it is now 18:00 we have been in the holding area about 1 hour.
any help/guidance would be appreciated.
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sorry to hear about this, it's likely to be a long night whatever happens.

Sometimes the fault can be isolated and / or signed off locally.

Other times they will simply cancel the flight (which is what I think has happened here) and then the BA App may well update to give you an alternative arrangement and the option to change it. Presumably to tomorrow's flight. If that happens or you are confident that you won't be flying tonight, I would book a hotel, guideline is 200 per couple sharing per room, and then get yourself comfortable there. Once Flight Status shows Cancelled - as it is here - then usually MMB is released for you to rebook under the Disruption screens.

There may be a rescue flight, that may be the subject of local announcements.

Make a note of timings, key events etc for EC261 purposes.
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you.
as you predicted the flight has been canceled. My wife and I have been put on a flight tomorrow. Downgraded to euro flyer.
Will this effect the tier points earned?
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tinyburst
Thank you.
as you predicted the flight has been canceled. My wife and I have been put on a flight tomorrow. Downgraded to euro flyer.
Will this effect the tier points earned?
You should be able to claim those given the short notice cancellation. It's not 100% since usually the rule is "on the day cancellations", plus you will get a part refund for the downgrade, but in this scenario I would imagine you will be granted the higher TP level. You don't have to accept the first offer, you can (e.g.) go via Iberia and Madrid.
SxMan and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You should be able to claim those given the short notice cancellation. It's not 100% since usually the rule is "on the day cancellations", plus you will get a part refund for the downgrade, but in this scenario I would imagine you will be granted the higher TP level. You don't have to accept the first offer, you can (e.g.) go via Iberia and Madrid.
thank you again.
BA have put us in a reasonable hotel. We are going to stick with the downgrade. However I feel that we will have a battle with the tier points because we booked with BA HOLIDAYS (for the double tier point offer). Im not sure the Gold line will help us in this situation.

When all is said and done we are safe and sound and gold benefits are not the be all and end all.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:21 pm

thank you again.
BA have put us in a reasonable hotel. We are going to stick with the downgrade. However I feel that we will lhave a battle with the tier points because we booked with BA HOLIDAYS (for the double tier point offer). I’m not sure the Gold line will help us in this situation.
It may be easier to deal with BAH in the first instance, given the background.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It may be easier to deal with BAH in the first instance, given the background.
I would second this, I've always found BAH customer relations to be very helpful and responsive.
tinyburst and Robert279 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Crew taking Club Seats

Incredibly all the crew from yesterdays flight have taken club seats. My wife and I cash paying customers have been located in euro traveler.

BA 2703 Nov 11 2022
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:03 am

Incredibly all the crew from yesterday’s flight have taken club seats. My wife and I cash paying customers have been located in euro traveler.

BA 2703 Nov 11 2022
Oooouch!! There are reasons for this, but I can see it is not going to be greatly appreciated by you. When you get back you need to have a telephone conversation with BAH about the TPs and some compensation for the loss of service. They will advise if you need to deal with BAH's own customer relations team. I would normally advise raising it with the IFL but in this case it can't do anything useful.
flygirl68 and tinyburst like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:05 am

Incredibly all the crew from yesterdays flight have taken club seats. My wife and I cash paying customers have been located in euro traveler.

BA 2703 Nov 11 2022
This can be incredibly difficult but it is related to the work the crew will have to do after the positioning leg. BA does not like to downgrade fare paying passengers for crew to position, so you can infer there is a strong safety case for it. That may not be comfort in your situation but at least you can understand the logic - even if you disagree with it. Sorry you were so badly affected by the whole sequence of events
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:12 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

BA 2703 Nov 11 2022
Ouch - well he is airbourne - that really is adding insult to injury. I know all the reasons - but I would be livid. I, however, would not have accepted the downgrade and gone via MAD or later there is space on the later flight.
Mekko, tinyburst and cbyrne92 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Ouch - well he is airbourne - that really is adding insult to injury. I know all the reasons - but I would be livid. I, however, would not have accepted the downgrade and gone via MAD or later there is space on the later flight.
Likewise, and I wouldnt have thought twice about hopping on the bus to TFN to do it either.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the kind words. We are home safe and sound. I will let you know the outcome of my request to maintain the club tier points and compensation.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
This can be incredibly difficult but it is related to the work the crew will have to do after the positioning leg. BA does not like to downgrade fare paying passengers for crew to position, so you can infer there is a strong safety case for it. That may not be comfort in your situation but at least you can understand the logic - even if you disagree with it. Sorry you were so badly affected by the whole sequence of events
Just wondering.

I'd understand if this was a long flight in a widebody where the club / first seats were used by crew to sleep so they could work the return.

However, considering that this is an A320 where the seats are the same in club europe compared to economy, why downgrade CE customers? Why not just reserve the last few rows of economy for the crew?
Old Nov 12, 2022, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by mrandery
Just wondering.

I'd understand if this was a long flight in a widebody where the club / first seats were used by crew to sleep so they could work the return.

However, considering that this is an A320 where the seats are the same in club europe compared to economy, why downgrade CE customers? Why not just reserve the last few rows of economy for the crew?
Thats a question for management, well above my pay grade
Can I help you likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.