Flight delayed due to engine problems.

Old Nov 9, 22, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Flight delayed due to engine problems.

Hi all,
I am wondering if anyone could help at all. At my wits end with BA!
we flew on 6th October on a connecting flight from San Francisco to Heathrow. Was meant to take off at 7.25pm but didnít end up taking off till 11.30pm. We were 4 hours delayed due to a problem with the breaking system. The pilot kept us informed the whole time and they had to call uk engineers as they couldnít fix the issue. We were over the wing, we watched them trying to fix the engine. We spoke to the crew and they told us our flight had to go as the flight before got cancelled due to staff sickness. They said if we are 4.5 hours delayed the flight would be cancelled again. They managed to fix the problem and we took off 4 hours late. The pilot even announced that we could claim compensation and how to do it. We missed our second meal and only had one drink service (on a 10 hour flight!) due to crew needing to rest. Iíve complained to BA but the are refusing our claim, saying the flight was delayed due to staff sickness not engine failure! And we arenít entitled to anything. Iím going back and forth with them, but itís like talking to a robot. Does anyone know what we can do? Can I check their systems some other way? They have said they will not let us know the report for the flight as this might be needed for legal court cases?!
if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. I just donít know why they have the reason wrong?
Old Nov 9, 22, 5:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Check out this link :-

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Basically, you'll need to go via CEDR or MoneyClaimOnline if BA are refusing to pay out. It depends on how late you were landing (and doors open).
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 9, 22, 5:35 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Is this BA286 on October 6? If so, arrival was 3 hours 12 minutes late.
If this isn't your flight, if you can supply the flight number and date, someone may be able to look it up for you.

Old Nov 9, 22, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Is this BA286 on October 6? If so, arrival was 3 hours 12 minut

thanks for your replies.
yes this looks like our flight. BA arenít disputing the times they are saying it was staff sickness. Which it wasnít, it was due to problems with the engine. BA are saying they donít pay out for staff sickness! We were told repeatedly by the pilot and crew that it was the engine and we watched the engineers. It makes no sense to us.. is there anything we can do to dispute the reason?
Old Nov 9, 22, 6:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by laura_d77 View Post
thanks for your replies.
yes this looks like our flight. BA arenít disputing the times they are saying it was staff sickness. Which it wasnít, it was due to problems with the engine. BA are saying they donít pay out for staff sickness! We were told repeatedly by the pilot and crew that it was the engine and we watched the engineers. It makes no sense to us.. is there anything we can do to dispute the reason?
See above. Just go via CEDR and state your case. It's up to BA to prove it was staff sickness rather than a technical issue. If it was staff sickness at SFO, where would they have got replacement staff from?
Old Nov 9, 22, 12:49 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Moderator, pls move this to the BA forum.
Old Nov 11, 22, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
See above. Just go via CEDR and state your case. It's up to BA to prove it was staff sickness rather than a technical issue. If it was staff sickness at SFO, where would they have got replacement staff from?
thank you. Will do. On their web site it was we have to wait 8 week's though. Do we need to wait, or just start the process now?
Old Nov 13, 22, 5:05 am

Programs: TK Elite
You should give BA a final chance to respond (postively) to you claim before you commence CEDR
Old Nov 15, 22, 1:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
laura_d77 , welcome to Flyertalk.

Please follow the redirect as we move this to our BA form.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Nov 15, 22, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Staff sickness has been proved many times in court as not an "extraordinary circumstance" which I suspect is what they are claiming.
Old Nov 15, 22, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Staff sickness has been proved many times in court as not an "extraordinary circumstance" which I suspect is what they are claiming.
Even down route?

I think BA would have trouble arguing that they don't have crew they can call upon at a major hub like LHR, definitely, but SFO has no resident crew does it?

Although of course that's not the point of this thread, so apologies for going OT.
Old Nov 15, 22, 7:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Can I check their systems some other way? They have said they will not let us know the report for the flight as this might be needed for legal court cases?!
if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. I just don’t know why they have the reason wrong?
The link to the main EC261 thread is upthread, and that will give you plenty of background to this area. But the short version is that you don't have to accept BA's version of events and that after 8 weeks from the initial complaint you can take the matter to CEDR. BA will then have to present the evidence from their side and the adjudicator will review this. From what I can make out you are eligible for 300€ / £260 per passenger for a delay in arrival of more than 3 hours, less than 4 hours. I would not advocate spending too long on trying to deal with BA, they do sometimes change their initial decision but so infrequently it's best to go off to CEDR as soon as you can.
Old Nov 15, 22, 7:46 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
thank you. Will do. On their web site it was we have to wait 8 week's though. Do we need to wait, or just start the process now?
You have two choices - either go to MCOL (Money Claim Online, a small claims court process), for which you'll need a physical UK address (you can 'borrow' one from a friend for correspondence, you don't have to actually live there).

Alternatively, you can use the dispute resolution service, CEDR. This will probably take longer to get a decision from.

In either case, to speed the process, formally write back to BA asking them to confirm that "this is their final offer and the decision will not change". That will allow you to either refer to CEDR immediately (free) or issue MCOL proceedings (a fee, which you recover if you win).

You should note that your delay compensation claim is based on arrival (doors open) time, not departure, and therefore you are working on a delay of 3h12m.

Some caution is therefore needed - if BA can show that staff sickness (or other causes generally held as extraordinary such as ATC/weather delays) took the delay below the 3 hour time limit for compensation, then they are correct and nothing is due. There are potentially other legal arguments here - if the staff sickness was in parallel with the maintenance, for example, BA couldn't claim that as they would not then have taken all reasonable measures to mitigate the crew issue when they had extra time to resolve it.

So, it may be a little more complicated than you think ...
Old Nov 15, 22, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Truthmonkey View Post
Even down route?

I think BA would have trouble arguing that they don't have crew they can call upon at a major hub like LHR, definitely, but SFO has no resident crew does it?

Although of course that's not the point of this thread, so apologies for going OT.
It doesn't matter. My case was that almost in reverse, albeit with a different airline, with crew sickness affecting a United flight from LHR-SFO.
Old Nov 15, 22, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
It doesn't matter. My case was that almost in reverse, albeit with a different airline, with crew sickness affecting a United flight from LHR-SFO.

United used to have London based cabin crew, not sure if they still do or not.

Search this Thread