Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tropical Storm Nicole / Potential disruption to Florida flights

Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:07 am
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:11 am Reason: deleted
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Looking at the tracks and timescales I suspect you'll be ok for Wednesday but I would wait and see what BA announces in the next 12-24 hours in relation to flights potentially affected by Nicole. At the moment my flight out of TPA (not BA) on Friday morning is looking a bit iffy.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by golfmad
Looking at the tracks and timescales I suspect you'll be ok for Wednesday but I would wait and see what BA announces in the next 12-24 hours in relation to flights potentially affected by Nicole. At the moment my flight out of TPA (not BA) on Friday morning is looking a bit iffy.
Any educated guess on Thursday?? (MIA)
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Any educated guess on Thursday?? (MIA)
Eek. That's within the margin of error. For all Florida related weather events I follow Denis Philips on ABCActionNews.com. Thankfully this one is predicted to stay as a tropical storm. Good luck to all!! Of course, it's not just the conditions at the time of departure but will depend on logistics for getting the aircraft and crew there too.

orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
At present all the models suggest that TS Nicole will make landfall north of Miami on Thursday, noon-ish. As ever though, these forecasts change over time, so 50 miles north/south is not out of the question. Meanwhile, it does look like the intensity will quickly diminish once it does make landfall (it may just, with a push, make it to a Cat 1 Hurricane just before landfall, but I doubt it). Almost certain that by the end of the week it will be gone.
I suspect that BA will provide some flexibility (although I have known BA to keep flying when local airlines cancel - not that it's unsafe, just better pilots!).
Old Nov 7, 2022, 8:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
To answer the original question, you are best to look at the Alerts area of AA's website, AA are fast putting up advisories, BA follow the same system as a Joint Business but are terribly slow in this area sometimes. Note that all Advisories do is allow you to move flights which are actually operating at that point in time. If the flight is cancelled then a wider range of options become available, including refunds.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 8:52 am
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:10 am Reason: deleted
Old Nov 7, 2022, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
To answer the original question, you are best to look at the Alerts area of AA's website, AA are fast putting up advisories, BA follow the same system as a Joint Business but are terribly slow in this area sometimes. Note that all Advisories do is allow you to move flights which are actually operating at that point in time. If the flight is cancelled then a wider range of options become available, including refunds.
Nothing from AA as yet on their travel alerts section but I suspect that will change in the next 12-24 hours.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by golfmad
Nothing from AA as yet on their travel alerts section but I suspect that will change in the next 12-24 hours.
Yes, I've been following closely (if only because I'm first flying there domestically on AA for a few nights before flying back from it on BA) and nothing so far! They are usually quite quick so wondering if they thing the situation is still not sufficiently clear cut for them to put an advisory in place.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I thought the hurricane season was over for Florida
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
I thought the hurricane season was over for Florida
Officially 1 June to 30 November but there are occasional outliers too.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: Executive Club
Before she was even given a name, Nicole caused a lot of problems over the weekend for Dominican Republic. Severe flooding in Santo Domingo and quite considerable damage. Photos and videos in this link (that poor Pizza delivery guy)

https://dr1.com/forums/threads/flood...omingo.404216/

I would suggest keeping up with the US National Hurricane Center website, they are pretty much the main authority on these things:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at...start#contents
Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Theres now an AA policy: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

If you're traveling to / through / from:

• Daytona Beach, Florida (DAB)
  • Fort Lauderdale, Florida (FLL)
  • Freeport, Bahamas (FPO)
  • Jacksonville, Florida (JAX)
  • Marsh Harbour, Bahamas (MHH)
  • Melbourne, Florida (MLB)
  • Miami, Florida (MIA)
  • Nassau, Bahamas (NAS)
  • North Eleuthera, Bahamas (ELH)
  • West Palm Beach, Florida (PBI)

Your change fee is waived if you:

• Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Are booked in any fare class, including Basic Economy
  • Bought your ticket by November 7, 2022
  • Are scheduled to travel November 9 - 11, 2022
  • Can travel November 7 - 14, 2022
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference
Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This will be reactive on the BA side, so the OP will need to call up to move flight. And dependent on contact centre agents getting the memo......
Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
I'm due to fly into Miami on BA on Thu 10th and then out to Anguilla on the morning of Fri 11th. Is the likelihood of a cancellation high?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.