Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collecting Avios with Uber

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Collecting Avios with Uber

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but I just came across this PR: https://www.iagloyalty.com/media-cen...ners-with-uber

1 Avios per £1 spent and a bonus 250 Avios for those who sign up before 31st December 2022.

LONDON, United Kingdom – IAG Loyalty has today announced it is launching a new partnership with Uber in the UK, enhancing the value of its global currency, Avios, and helping British Airways Executive Club Members get that bit closer to their next rewarding experience.

Members of the British Airways Executive Club will be able to start collecting 1 Avios for every £1 spent on rides, coaches or trains through Uber in the UK. Later this month, Members will be able to simply connect their Executive Club membership through the Uber app and start collecting Avios.

To celebrate the new partnership, Members who link their Executive Club and Uber accounts via the Uber app by 31st December 2022 will receive a bonus of 250 Avios.

Andrew Brem, General Manager at Uber UK said “We saw a lot of clear benefits that Avios can bring to Uber users. With over 5 million Uber riders in the UK and millions of trips completed every week, that's a lot of Avios, helping our users get away to their dream destinations thanks to our partnership with IAG Loyalty.”

Adam Daniels, CEO of IAG Loyalty said: “When we look to bring on new partners into our loyalty programmes, we are looking for popular brands that fit seamlessly within our Members' lifestyles. We are delighted to sign this agreement with Uber - and with the power of Avios - further ensure everyday travel can lead to truly rewarding experiences.”

Avios is the global loyalty currency owned and run by IAG Loyalty. The currency can be collected across a wide mix of consumer sectors, including flights, travel, leisure, shopping and financial services. IAG Loyalty partners with market-leading global brands such as American Express, Nectar, Avis Budget Group and Marriott.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:54 am

I’ve had a look on the Uber app and see no obvious way of linking the two.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
According to the PR it will be available later this month.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I’ve had a look on the Uber app and see no obvious way of linking the two.
According to HfP it's not live yet and will roll out with a Uber App update.
PAL62V and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by dougzz
According to HfP it's not live yet and will roll out with a Uber App update.
Jam tomorrow.........
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:15 am

deleted
mikeyfly, becks1, JD1905 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:11 am Reason: deleted
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
250 Avios would come in handy to prevent expiry of my Avios (I havn't travelled with BA or partners for almost 3 years) so I hope they will credit soon after signing up/linking accounts rather than after Uber activities.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Only applicable for rides in the UK?

That’s more or less useless to me personally, and I’m sure many others who would primarily use Uber when travelling abroad.
EuropeanPete and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Now if they could make it for 1 Avios per minute you have to wait for an Uber then it could be interesting ( or compensation in Avios when the driver cancels on you )

I understand the economics of it isn't attractive for a lot of the drivers and this is the root of a lot of the issues .. but as a user it's really become so much worse in London than it used to be - will do most things to avoid Uber these days , hard to rely on it ( and even if you can get a car the prices have become rather 'adventurous' quite a lot of the time )
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Interestingly, outside of London where I live, Uber is more reliable than the local offerings despite sourcing the same companies and drivers. Admittedly it charges almost twice as much though, so probably something fishy going on...

I'm hardly a heavy user of Uber but I think this is useful - any opportunity to earn on spend I'd be making anyway is a bonus to me. As long as it doesn't result in an ever greater devaluation round the corner...
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
I understand the economics of it isn't attractive for a lot of the drivers and this is the root of a lot of the issues .. but as a user it's really become so much worse in London than it used to be - will do most things to avoid Uber these days , hard to rely on it ( and even if you can get a car the prices have become rather 'adventurous' quite a lot of the time )
I've found this too; the wait times have gone up. But if you factor in the fact that Addison Lee is now completely unusable, Uber is going downhill, you've got to wonder whether drivers are just abandoning the job, or if there's another app that they've moved to? Gett seems OK, but you end up in a black cab these days which isn't cheap.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I think Bolt and Ola perhaps .. but I'm not enough of a taxi user to have ever really bothered exploring those apps either , probably should .. but I generally find myself using Uber or Gett ( and complaining about the former ) the few times I'm looking for a car ... so I can't say whether Bolt or Ola are any good !
Old Nov 7, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Now if they could make it for 1 Avios per minute you have to wait for an Uber then it could be interesting ( or compensation in Avios when the driver cancels on you )

Probably another victim of covid in that earning potential was decimated for long periods of time, so many of the drivers found other jobs and have no intention of returning to it.

Many companies were absolutely crying out for delivery drivers at that time, which would've been a pretty simple transition.
EvilDoctorK likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 8:05 am
Original Poster

May be beneficial for those who travel by train a lot, especially given the regular increases in rail fares.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:23 am

A slight shame (for me!) that it doesn’t seem to include Uber Eats as I arguably use that more than the rides.

OT, but where can you book an Uber train or coach?
becks1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.