Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

16 Nov '22: Avios TO Nectar conversion rate devalued 20%. Nectar to Avios unchanged.

16 Nov '22: Avios TO Nectar conversion rate devalued 20%. Nectar to Avios unchanged.

Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:03 am
Original Poster

To follow the news that the earning process is getting worse in flights - they’ve now devalued Avios - Nector (going from 400 Nector for 250 avios to needling 300 avios to get the same 400 Nector.

All in all a rather depressing week.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Who’d have thought that chucking avios around like candy would cause a devaluation?
mrow, tbm13 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life
On the basis that the transfer rate is the same both ways, possibly an arbitrage opportunity here to make an additional 20% on their current Avios balance?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lizban
To follow the news that the earning process is getting worse in flights - they’ve now devalued Avios - Nector (going from 400 Nector for 250 avios to needling 300 avios to get the same 400 Nector.

All in all a rather depressing week.
Am I missing something? Able to transfer 50,000 Avios to 80,000 Nectar (£400) / 250 Avios to 400 Nectar.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:40 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by jayjaygee
On the basis that the transfer rate is the same both ways, possibly an arbitrage opportunity here to make an additional 20% on their current Avios balance?
Seems like Nectar to avios is staying at 400 to 250.

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
Am I missing something? Able to transfer 50,000 Avios to 80,000 Nectar (£400).
New rate effective 16 November.
Ryanfozzie likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:41 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
It's being discussed in the Head For Points forum, apparently the change kicks in in two weeks on Nov 16th. https://www.headforpoints.com/forums...n-rate-change/

I haven't had any email from Nectar myself.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
Seems like Nectar to avios is staying at 400 to 250.

New rate effective 16 November.
Where do you see the new rate? Trying to find this online myself.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:47 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
So therefore a way to possibly gain 20% Avios from a already converted Nectar balance...
No, today you convert 250 avios to 400 nectar and after 16 November you will still get 250 avios back.

If your net flow is intended to be from avios to nectar (or you aren't sure, because you will be able to undo it), then you should convert today to avoid the devaluation.

The new rate (300 avios to 400 nectar in this direction only) is in the email which I guess is going out in batches
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:47 am

The concern about someone scaremongering (unless this is public information we can all see) could trigger it's own problems.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by :D!
No, today you convert 250 avios to 400 nectar and after 16 November you will still get 250 avios back.

If your net flow is intended to be from avios to nectar (or you aren't sure, because you will be able to undo it), then you should convert today to avoid the devaluation.
Realised my own mistake and edited my comment - not had my coffee today!
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: Nandos Chillis
The concern about someone scaremongering (unless this is public information we can all see) could trigger it's own problems.
It's not scaremongering, I had the email from BAEC.

The Avios to Nectar points conversion rate is changing

We wanted to let you know that from 16 November 2022, the conversion rate of Avios to Nectar points will be changing.

When converting Avios to Nectar points, you currently receive 400 Nectar points for every 250 Avios converted. From 16 November 2022 that will change to 400 Nectar points for every 300 Avios that you convert. The Nectar to Avios conversion rate will remain the same.

This change will take place automatically and your British Airways Executive Club and Nectar accounts will continue to be linked so you don’t need to do anything.

Find out all you need to know about the change by clicking on Learn more below

The only people benefiting from any arbitrage will be Nectar.
tbm13 and James91 like this.

Last edited by TheUrbanite; Nov 2, 2022 at 6:08 am
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
It's not scaremongering, I had the email from BAEC.

The Avios to Nectar points conversion rate is changing

We wanted to let you know that from 16 November 2022, the conversion rate of Avios to Nectar points will be changing.

When converting Avios to Nectar points, you currently receive 400 Nectar points for every 250 Avios converted. From 16 November 2022 that will change to 400 Nectar points for every 300 Avios that you convert. The Nectar to Avios conversion rate will remain the same.

This change will take place automatically and your British Airways Executive Club and Nectar accounts will continue to be linked so you don’t need to do anything.

Find out all you need to know about the change by clicking on Learn more below

The only people benefiting from any arbitrage will be Nectar.
Sorry for my tone. It was meant as (when I posted), there was no link really confirming this. Thanks for the clarification

Edit, I note the link does not say anything about the change.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
So basically if you convert Nectar to Avios and then change your mind and convert them back to Nectar, you'll lose about 20% ?
marcopizzaiuolo and tbm13 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Who’d have thought that chucking avios around like candy would cause a devaluation?
Kwasi Kwarteng has entered the chat....
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
So, this announcement affects the "How much are Avios worth ?" debate.

Previously : 250 Avios buys 400 Nectar points = £2, so 0.8p/Avios
New : 300 Avios buys 400 Nectar points = £2, so 0.67p/Avios

Devaulation = 20%
tbm13, craigthemif and crazy8534 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.