"Hurry, cabins are filling quickly"

Old Oct 28, 22, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
"Hurry, cabins are filling quickly"

I've never seen this message before - LGW-PFO-LGW next year, Oct 5/15. It goes on to say "Cabins in some flights on this date are already full" but they're not according to EF. I tried a few other dates across Aug, Sep and Oct and got the same message. It gives you the option to start a new search but then it just hangs on "Give us a moment, we're calculating your price". The other option is "See what's available" but selecting that just takes you back to the beginning of the process again so you're stuck in a perpetual loop of BA IT hell. As a test, I tried LCA and that was fine and I also tried MLA but that suffered the same fate so it seems to be confined to LGW departures. Very odd but I guess it's a case of BA IT at its best and it will fix itself over the next few days.
Old Oct 28, 22, 11:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Im sure theres some professional marketing term for it, but I suspect this is all fake and designed to get people booking early at higher prices under the illusion that seats will be gone soon. There are of course times and destinations that do fill up fast, but these messages generally just feel pushy. Ive had said message on many flights showing wide open on expertflyer.
BearX220, SxMan, rt23456p and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 22, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
Im sure theres some professional marketing term for it, but I suspect this is all fake and designed to get people booking early at higher prices under the illusion that seats will be gone soon. There are of course times and destinations that do fill up fast, but these messages generally just feel pushy. Ive had said message on many flights showing wide open on expertflyer.
Creating scarcity/fear of missing out. Doesn't permit out and out lying though.
Old Oct 28, 22, 11:44 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Could it be linked to available seats within the current fare class bucket?

It's pretty common when booking with other airlines to see something like 'only 2 seats left at this price' which is a lot clearer language.
Old Oct 28, 22, 12:43 pm

Could be linked with this thread
Old Oct 28, 22, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies but this is nothing to do with marketing or creating an urgency to book as you can't physically book the flights! The options are: "Start a new search" which just hangs with the message "Give us a moment, we're calculating your price" or "See what's available" but selecting this just takes you back to the beginning of the process again. I think there may well be some IT issues going on with ex-LGW bookings, just as flyslow mentions above.
Old Oct 28, 22, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Not related/answering the question but we haven’t bothered with PFO for years.

BA didn’t used to pay for the lounge, (granted the same with LCA for a period around COVID and still no Fast Track), and the Priotity Pass lounge was “compact” at PFO.

We’ve used LCA since we flew a very nice Cyprus Air 2+2+2 config with great service. It’s about 1hr 15m on the motorway and we get that this is quite a long time in Cyprus but in the grand scheme of things when we don’t have to think about when BA flies, and it is usually a lot cheaper, we just find it simpler.

So, to cut a long story short, fly to LCA and don’t worry about the BA website problems
Old Oct 28, 22, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
Im sure theres some professional marketing term for it.
Fraud? Dishonesty? Lying? Duplicity? All synonyms for marketing!
rt23456p and LCY8737 like this.
Old Oct 28, 22, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Soft Top View Post
Not related/answering the question but we havent bothered with PFO for years.

BA didnt used to pay for the lounge, (granted the same with LCA for a period around COVID and still no Fast Track), and the Priotity Pass lounge was compact at PFO.

Weve used LCA since we flew a very nice Cyprus Air 2+2+2 config with great service. Its about 1hr 15m on the motorway and we get that this is quite a long time in Cyprus but in the grand scheme of things when we dont have to think about when BA flies, and it is usually a lot cheaper, we just find it simpler.

So, to cut a long story short, fly to LCA and dont worry about the BA website problems
Hi softop, interesting you say that as I do wholeheartedly agree. Going to LCA (on BA), you get T5, First Wing security, no G-Gat aircraft, no awful 1970s South terminal, no row 1a/c roulette, arrive lunchtime instead of 8pm so still get to our place with a whole evening ahead of us etc etc. To our place, its around 1.5 hours to PFO (you must be Aphrodite-side) and LCA is such a better experience both ways (air bridge and no 1 minute bus but I think still no fast track) but the convenience of PFO is still quite handy, being 15 mins from our place and we do pay for the flights so it goes towards our Gold card chasing so it becomes convenience over anything else. Of course, we dont have any choice for December flights as its LCA or nothing given the seasonal PFO schedule but the Limassol-PFO highway does scare me a bit, particularly when its raining with a) the rockfall (its horrific!) and b) the manic drivers (were used to that!) but yes, there are so many more plus points for LCA. Just to let you know though, the lounge at PFO came back for BA Club post-COVID and apart from the 70s furniture which could do with a bit of a clean, its genuinely not too bad. Granted, you have the usual Jet2 and other nationalities taking 4 seats for 2 people but there are still spaces and the food has definitely definitely improved. So, before, when I was happy to sacrifice the time, the gap has genuinely closed in my opinion and for all of our trips next year (apart from Xmas), were PFO. If youre based in the West, Id recommend it but as you say, if BA is more expensive and you dont need the tier points and youre based in the East and youre not bothered by an airline with a teeny fleet if anything goes wrong, then stick with the devil you know. We were on a LCA flight once at LHR, there was a crack in the windshield and moisture got into the avionics so they had to take the aircraft out of service. Despite the warts and all, the passengers and luggage were transferred to a replacement aircraft within an hour (same seats too, so impressive) so BA do genuinely have their good points (in addition to the crew, who make the airline, 100%). Thanks for sharing though - always interested to hear of other peoples views but irrespective of this, arent we lucky to have the choice of 2 airports on such a fabulous island?
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 28, 22, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by PlaneSpeaking; Oct 30, 22 at 4:26 am Reason: Posted twice in error
Old Oct 29, 22, 1:02 am

Almost all of the airlines are using scarcity to motivate travelers to buy now. This extends to showing a very ugly seat map with only middle seats to get passengers to pay extra for seats. It is disgusting and predatory marketing in my opinion.
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 29, 22, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Matmid Silverish
There is a "fast track" on departure its less than 5 and can be purchased through the airport. Pretty good outside seating area at the LCA lounge too. I have used LCA twice this year to get to TLV. RFS from LHR in business then cheap 1 hour flight from LCA to TLV. Massive saving on avios and taxes for a slight inconvenience of two flights.
Old Oct 29, 22, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver, VS Silver, ITA Volare Premium, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier
Smells a little desperate, I think the airlines know that there is only one way fares are going to go once the pent up demand from covid has evaporated.
Old Oct 29, 22, 8:52 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by davidcamp6 View Post
There is a "fast track" on departure its less than 5 and can be purchased through the airport. Pretty good outside seating area at the LCA lounge too. I have used LCA twice this year to get to TLV. RFS from LHR in business then cheap 1 hour flight from LCA to TLV. Massive saving on avios and taxes for a slight inconvenience of two flights.
3.50 for the Fast Lane at LCA. Well worth it to save what can be a long wait.
davidcamp6 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 22, 4:27 am
Original Poster

The IT issue appears to have been resolved. Safe and happy travels all.

Search this Thread