Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club World dining - restoration of full menu - 28 October 2022

Club World dining - restoration of full menu - 28 October 2022

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 30, 22, 4:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Click here to jump to the December menu. This may take a few seconds to refresh.
28 October / November menu is post 1.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 27, 22, 5:29 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
BA got vilified in the 90s for trying to position the brand away from "British", it's a unique selling point given the assumptions the world have about "being British". BA need to invest a significant amount across the soft product and customer service to build back the trust in the brand.
Old Oct 27, 22, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
We could argue the merits of bits of the menu for hours and never agree. Im sick of curries and , looking at the menu, all that veggie vegan salads with sweet potato in one, is enough to put me off for life. Sweet potato has as much place on a British menu as mushy peas chez Les Amricains.

i love salad. It has, like most men, it has to be dressed and my vinaigrette has man-appeal. The sad little sachets of oil and those gloopy American concoctions with not a natural ingredient within them do not cut it for me. I am not a rabbit.

(Terribly OTT. I applied to BCAL and Air France as I was offered a job as a Bunny Croupier chez Playboy. That being over my Mothers dead body made wanting to be an air hostess less disreputable j

So to conclude sensibly - the menu reads tons better than before and if at least full of ingredients and foods that I do recognise AA seem to be full of things of which Ive never heard.

Now I have to wonder if your mum objected more to Air France or Playboy as potential employer!!

Totally agree with you on the no way to have everyone agree on bits of menu thought. But I guess thats exactly my point - since not everyone likes the same thing, this is best managed by giving people some choice, and would you like sandwiches or sandwiches with that bread? Is not much of a choice!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Oct 27, 22, 5:35 am

Do BA serve a full breakfast PHL - LHR. Flying it next week and hoping it's better than i was served in June.
Old Oct 27, 22, 5:39 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Andrewwest1984 View Post
Do BA serve a full breakfast PHL - LHR. Flying it next week and hoping it's better than i was served in June.
its a light breakfast with a hot element like bacon roll or egg muffin
Old Oct 27, 22, 5:49 am

You can get a full hot breakfast in the arrivals lounge on arrival 👍
Old Oct 27, 22, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC
There's nothing wrong with that menu but god it's boring.
Old Oct 27, 22, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by OneworldHarj View Post
BA got vilified in the 90s for trying to position the brand away from "British", it's a unique selling point given the assumptions the world have about "being British". BA need to invest a significant amount across the soft product and customer service to build back the trust in the brand.
It is worth remembering that the "world liveries" project was abandoned not because public perceptions were negative on the whole, but because the people who hated them (and people are perfectly allowed to be traditionalists) complained very loudly about it, not least the late Ms Thatcher. If you look back at the comments from furious segments of the press at the time, some comments would also be deemed openly racist in retrospect (the whole "Air Zulu" saga for instance). I personally think that the Ayling message was a brave and intelligent one, but empirically, when it comes to identity, unhappy people are always going to be a lot more vocal than happy ones even when they are not a majority in any shape or form (in that particular case, as some people from BA acknowledged, there was never any sense of overall attitudes because it was the loud complaints that killed the project from the start anyway).

That said, even in today's context, I would argue that things are a lot more complex than that, and both BA and FT know it. For instance, when my main flight band was still catered with cold food options only, seemingly the most popular of choices was the salmon poke which I doubt would have been a favourite of the late Queen Victoria. Conversely, among hot choices, the sausage and mash which by contrast is as "traditional English" as it gets is also extremely popular as was the fish and chips when once served, but then so are curries, burgers, and lasagna. From what I understand, mezze selections was a very popular sale in BoB too.

In short, I simply do not think that any more than a tiny proportion of passengers base their food choices on "quintessentially English" vs "foreign". I think tastes vary and most people just want what they would consider good food with zero interest in whether it stems from an indigenous or imported culinary tradition. I don't think most people care, and I certainly don't. That said, again, I don't think anyone is trying to "kill" the English breakfast or the afternoon tea here, just to say that if you offer two options to people they might as well be truly different options.
Old Oct 27, 22, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Matmid Silverish
Well I suppose the roast beef followed by short ribs means they are using up the rest of the carcass after the predominance of beef cheeks this year.
Old Oct 27, 22, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze (how did that happen? Lost track of the others
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The new LHR outbound menu for longhaul flights from 28 October are emerging, and here is one to be getting on with, covering these routes to JFK, IAD, BOS, SEA, PHL and elsewhere in USA. Previously these menus lasted about a month before the main items would change over.

For reference the previous thread on this subject is here.
Long haul in-flight catering | Club World

The flights this menu applies to are

BA53, 67, 93, 173, 175, 185, 191, 193, 205, 207, 213, 217, 219, 223, 225, 253. 255, 295.

(return flights from the USA to LHR are catered by local companies so menus will vary).
====

Starters

Roast British Beef Salad
broccolini, baby corn, carrots, horseradish cream

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
chimichurri, roast corn

Roasted cauliflower soup
garlic and herb croutons

Bulgar and carrot salad
lemon labneh

Main course

Slow roasted short rib of British beef
garden peas, carrots, parsley potatoes, beef gravy

Pan seared North Atlantic cod
carrots, courgettes, edamame, wasabi mousseline

Laksa noodles with tofu
broccolini, spring onions, edamame

Cheese and dessert

British apple crumble
apple compote

Fresh seasonal fruit

Chocolate pudding
chocolate sauce

Cheeseboard
Camembert, coastal Chedder, Shropshire Blue,
apricots, plum chutney

(to save the usual question: I suspect this will not be loaded so that everyone has both dessert and cheese, but often times you may be able to politiely request a dessert plus cheese).

=====

Afternoon tea - served 90 minutes or so before arrival

Sandwiches
Pastrami with mustard crme fraiche on malted bread, prawn Marie Rose on mini brioche, Emmental and Brie with walnuts on rye bread
or
Cheddar cheese with onion chutney on malted bread, deviled eggs on mini brioche, Emmental and Brie with walnuts on rye bread

Sweets
Victoria sponge cake

Plain and fruit scones
served warm, clotted cream, strawberry preserve
At first glance, I'd say
a) It doesn't look "premium" . But then that's not new for BA, and if I fly BA I shouldn't expect high standards or good choices of food.
b) There are too many vegetarian options as starters - I'd only want the beef, and imagine I'd be lucky to get it now I'm a lowly Bronze and unlikely to be at the front of the section. The vegetarian options don't look at all appetising to me.
c) I personally like the pudding selection. Again, not premium, but it looks like good comfort food. I like my puddings to be hearty.
d) Both sandwich selections are very allergen unfriendly. Prawns in one, nuts in the other. I have to ask, who picks these combinations? They seem more concerned with not offending vegetarians than considering critical health issues.
e) What's happened to special menus for vegetarians and vegans, so they can choose to follow their lifestyle choices without restricting the choices of others? I'm finding menus for normal people are being diluted to cater for the dietary preferences (not needs, preferences) of others. If I fly premium class, I'd like more than one meat or fish option per course.
f) Yeah - in general - just way too woke for me. Maybe I'm too old for BA. Maybe I need to pack my own food, whatever class I fly in. I'm happy with some good pret sandwiches or sushi or similar. I really don't want sweet potato, or cauliflower soup, or a bulgar and carrot salad. For me, flying premium class should be a treat, a special occasion - not feeling you're being held captive and on the receiving end of a lecture on eating your 5-a-day by a 20-something back in the BA experimental kitchen.

So, yeah, not at all excited by this. Not at all enthused about my upcoming flights. But if we get advance notice of the menu before we fly, I can at least bring my own food so I'm not force-fed corn or an array of other unexciting tasteless vegetables.
Nimrod1965 and Trident 3B like this.
Old Oct 27, 22, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Quote ".Yeah - in general - just way too woke for me. Maybe I'm too old for BA. I really don't want sweet potato, or cauliflower soup, or a bulgar and carrot salad. For me, flying premium class should be a treat, a special occasion - not feeling you're being held captive and on the receiving end of a lecture on eating your 5-a-day by a 20-something back in the BA experimental kitchen.
What's happened to special menus for vegetarians and vegans, so they can choose to follow their lifestyle choices without restricting the choices of others? I'm finding menus for normal people are being diluted to cater for the dietary preferences (not needs, preferences) of others. If I fly premium class, I'd like more than one meat or fish option per course."'
I couldn't agree more with ttama. The whole thing smacks of woke, PC' ness and plain simple penny pinching. I see even Jack Daniels has been "Enhanced", replaced by some cheap and nasty Gin product just to save a couple of pennies. I am most certainly not going to pay for a premium class seat only to resort to having to bring my own food because the airline's offering is so woeful. I now only fly BA if there is no viable alternative that would not inconvenience me and not because I want to.
Old Oct 27, 22, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver, VS Silver, ITA Volare Premium, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier
Originally Posted by ttama View Post
At first glance, I'd say
a) It doesn't look "premium" . But then that's not new for BA, and if I fly BA I shouldn't expect high standards or good choices of food.
b) There are too many vegetarian options as starters - I'd only want the beef, and imagine I'd be lucky to get it now I'm a lowly Bronze and unlikely to be at the front of the section. The vegetarian options don't look at all appetising to me.
c) I personally like the pudding selection. Again, not premium, but it looks like good comfort food. I like my puddings to be hearty.
d) Both sandwich selections are very allergen unfriendly. Prawns in one, nuts in the other. I have to ask, who picks these combinations? They seem more concerned with not offending vegetarians than considering critical health issues.
e) What's happened to special menus for vegetarians and vegans, so they can choose to follow their lifestyle choices without restricting the choices of others? I'm finding menus for normal people are being diluted to cater for the dietary preferences (not needs, preferences) of others. If I fly premium class, I'd like more than one meat or fish option per course.
f) Yeah - in general - just way too woke for me. Maybe I'm too old for BA. Maybe I need to pack my own food, whatever class I fly in. I'm happy with some good pret sandwiches or sushi or similar. I really don't want sweet potato, or cauliflower soup, or a bulgar and carrot salad. For me, flying premium class should be a treat, a special occasion - not feeling you're being held captive and on the receiving end of a lecture on eating your 5-a-day by a 20-something back in the BA experimental kitchen.

So, yeah, not at all excited by this. Not at all enthused about my upcoming flights. But if we get advance notice of the menu before we fly, I can at least bring my own food so I'm not force-fed corn or an array of other unexciting tasteless vegetables.
Originally Posted by Trident 3B View Post
Quote ".Yeah - in general - just way too woke for me. Maybe I'm too old for BA. I really don't want sweet potato, or cauliflower soup, or a bulgar and carrot salad. For me, flying premium class should be a treat, a special occasion - not feeling you're being held captive and on the receiving end of a lecture on eating your 5-a-day by a 20-something back in the BA experimental kitchen.
What's happened to special menus for vegetarians and vegans, so they can choose to follow their lifestyle choices without restricting the choices of others? I'm finding menus for normal people are being diluted to cater for the dietary preferences (not needs, preferences) of others. If I fly premium class, I'd like more than one meat or fish option per course."'
I couldn't agree more with ttama. The whole thing smacks of woke, PC' ness and plain simple penny pinching. I see even Jack Daniels has been "Enhanced", replaced by some cheap and nasty Gin product just to save a couple of pennies. I am most certainly not going to pay for a premium class seat only to resort to having to bring my own food because the airline's offering is so woeful. I now only fly BA if there is no viable alternative that would not inconvenience me and not because I want to.
This menu is mediaevally hedonistic compared to VS which has banned beef from its menus for cost saving environmental reasons.

However they have been doing individual courses for a long time now and plate the main dish.
Old Oct 27, 22, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Trident 3B View Post
We have 4 companion vouchers to use up, and sufficient avios for those flights. After that, we may be done with "loyalty". Loyalty led to us rarely experience other airlines in the past twenty-odd years. But flying Qatar was an eye-opener. Yes, I know they're amongst the best airlines. But I read a lot of reviews of other airlines from the loyalty bloggers, and have seen their photos. Food isn't important to my other half, and as I said in my previous post I can quite happily take food on board if I don't like the menu. In the olden days, before we tended to fly premium, we'd often buy a pizza at US airports to take on board.

But ... the food and service, and the quality of the lounges, is an indication of how much the airline values your custom. I love flying, and I don't want to feel disappointed by the experience. And I don't want to be made to feel old, or cheap, or as if I'm being lectured to. I can buy a bag of carrot sticks at M&S to take on board if I wanted to eat bland vegetables. I can eat carrot sticks before I board, or after I land. But when I'm on board and paying for a service as well as transport, I want to feel spoiled. Carrots, Corn, Cauliflower - sorry, no . I will not feel spoiled.

Mind you, one time when flying Qatar while recovering from food-poisoning, I was very grateful to see cornflakes on their menu, which was more or else all I ate. I could have as many bowls as I wanted. When I disembarked I felt better. If I boarded a BA flight and was a bit queasy to start with, and saw the menu that has just been posted, I think it would make me feel worse.

Anyway, thank you for posting the menu. I'm very grateful to be pre-warned. What's the etiquette on packing a goody bag in the lounges these days? Or have they gone woke too? Will I end up with more carrots?
Nimrod1965 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 22, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ttama View Post
At first glance, I'd say
It doesn't look "premium" .

The vegetarian options don't look at all appetising to me.
I agree. It doesn't look premium.

The options don't look appetising to me either. And I am vegetarian. 😑

" What's happened to special menus for vegetarians and vegans, so they can choose to follow their lifestyle choices without restricting the choices of others? I'm finding menus for normal people are being diluted to cater for the dietary preferences (not needs, preferences) of others. If I fly premium class, I'd like more than one meat or fish option per course."

What has happened is that British Airways cuts costs by removing choice. It's unfair to blame vegetarians for restricting choice for 'normal' people. 😐🙂 BA chooses to include some dishes because they are inexpensive. I doubt health is their top concern. Those wishing to be certain of a special meal should order one (unless the menu is clear). Cauliflower soup could be vegan. Or it could be made more like Crme DuBarry with cream, butter and chicken or veal stock.

Using your argument, vegetarians have their choices diluted by vegan food. 😬 If BA can jump on the eating insects bandwagon - it will be Crunchy Cricket Granola for the normal folk in a few years.
Old Oct 27, 22, 10:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Wonder what I'll get in a month on LHR-PHX BA289
Old Oct 27, 22, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by AnaTravel View Post
I agree. It doesn't look premium.

The options don't look appetising to me either. And I am vegetarian. 😑

" What's happened to special menus for vegetarians and vegans, so they can choose to follow their lifestyle choices without restricting the choices of others? I'm finding menus for normal people are being diluted to cater for the dietary preferences (not needs, preferences) of others. If I fly premium class, I'd like more than one meat or fish option per course."

What has happened is that British Airways cuts costs by removing choice. It's unfair to blame vegetarians for restricting choice for 'normal' people. 😐🙂 BA chooses to include some dishes because they are inexpensive. I doubt health is their top concern. Those wishing to be certain of a special meal should order one (unless the menu is clear). Cauliflower soup could be vegan. Or it could be made more like Crme DuBarry with cream, butter and chicken or veal stock.

Using your argument, vegetarians have their choices diluted by vegan food. 😬 If BA can jump on the eating insects bandwagon - it will be Crunchy Cricket Granola for the normal folk in a few years.
I might quite like crickets I must admit I haven't tried them yet, but I'd probably prefer to have a bowl of those with my G&T rather than nuts (due to allergies). I personally believe it's time that airlines looked at the major allergens rather than trying to appease those with militant preferences.

I don't mind innovation, and quite honestly I eat vegetarian/vegan a lot of the time (despite my rant). I'd be more than happy to eat a falafel/hummous wrap for example, as long as it was well-flavoured,. One of my favourite sandwiches to buy when I was commuting was a lovely vinegary carrot and hummous sandwich. So I guess, as usual, it's all down to individual taste and also down to how it's prepared.

Some people will look at those starters, I hope, and think yummy, I'm REALLY looking forward to eating that. Not me. It looks bland. And maybe that's the issue for me. If the menu was written to focus on flavour, it might help. If any of those dishes were served with a good chilli sauce, I might possibly be able to imagine eating it. As it is, they way it's written makes it look supremely dull (which you pointed out about the soup). I'm rarely enthused about cauliflower for example, or corn, but if it was well-spiced I I would consider it. Corn on the cob, dripping with salty butter, is a joy.

Hopefully when we get some feedback and reviews we'll get more of an idea of how it tastes. I personally don't care how it looks (although that should be part of a premium experience) so I'd love it if we got some idea of how well the food is spiced or herbed or whatevered. Is it spicy? Is it sour? Is it sweet (I strongly disapprove of savoury food being made to taste sweet!)? What condiments might make it taste better? Do we need to bring our own chilli sauce?

Yeah - I know I'm getting carried away here. But really - that menu has made me feel disappointed and I'm trying to put a positive spin on it so I'll board with a smile and a bottle of my favourite sauce, rather than a large takeway pizza.

Trying to feel hopeful ......
AnaTravel likes this.

Search this Thread