Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus Wetlease

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Aer Lingus Wetlease

From Sunday October 30, British Airways will operate a wet lease service for Aer Lingus to support their UK domestic operations. The wet lease will operate for approximately 6 months, and there will be 3 round trips, totalling 6 flights a day.

The flights will be sold to customers with an Aer Lingus (EI) flight number, but for all internal purposes BA flight numbers will be used:

EI930/BA8590 – BHD/LHR
EI931/BA8591 – LHR/BHD
EI934/BA8592 – BHD/LHR
EI935/BA8593 – LHR/BHD
EI936/BA8594 – BHD/LHR
EI937/BA8595 – LHR/BHD

These flights will operate to and from Terminal 2 at London Heathrow, on an Airbus A320.

The Aer Lingus service will be offered. This is a single class, buy on board service, called ‘Bia’.

Row one will be sold as ‘Aer Space’ with added benefits such as middle seat free, guaranteed overhead locker space and a complimentary snack and drink item.

Boutique items such as chocolates and perfumes will also be available, on a time permitting basis.

Aer Lingus customers will have been made aware of this arrangement in advance.

RJD1983 and KARFA like this.

Last edited by TCX69; Oct 26, 2022 at 8:45 am
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:35 am
formerly JackDann

I was hoping that BA would fully take over the services operated by EI as they offer some more options when using my companion voucher - No luck on this occasion - but good to see that the route will continue to operate.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:16 am

From a logistical point of view it's surprising they'll carry Aer Lingus BOB - the aircraft night stops in Belfast so BA will want to swap it out in London at least some days + they've presumably got to issue training on Aer Lingus BOB procedures to BA crew. Would just be easier to carry BA BOB you'd think!

There will be quite a few passengers on a BA code on an EI flight operated by BA slightly confused why they're not getting a free water + snack I expect!
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:33 am

No formal re-training for crew, they’ll be issued a internal documentation on how to use the POS system and the plane will be stocked with EI product at Belfast, except for the very first day of operations where they’re positioning to BHD.

Not dissimilar to how AY and IB handled BA’s Speedbird Café proposition and shouldn’t be an issue. In fact I’d not hesitate in saying EI’s POS systems probably work better/smoother than BA’s!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Gold
I am curious, and maybe someone has some insights, into why this is necessary. In that I perfectly understand that this is a consequence of brexit, and EU airlines losing their rights to operate UK domestic sectors. However what I am curious about is why didn't Aer Lingus simply transfer this aircraft to their UK operation? Apparently they are losing the aircraft ( temporarily at least ) anyway, so it cannot be for capacity/utilisation reasons. Also aircraft running on the UK operation could run any sectors either domestically within the UK, or say LHR to DUB.

Maybe I am missing something, so happy to be educated!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by a380fan
I am curious, and maybe someone has some insights, into why this is necessary. In that I perfectly understand that this is a consequence of brexit, and EU airlines losing their rights to operate UK domestic sectors. However what I am curious about is why didn't Aer Lingus simply transfer this aircraft to their UK operation? Apparently they are losing the aircraft ( temporarily at least ) anyway, so it cannot be for capacity/utilisation reasons. Also aircraft running on the UK operation could run any sectors either domestically within the UK, or say LHR to DUB.

Maybe I am missing something, so happy to be educated!
Their UK operation is simply a company name so far, it doesn't have an Air Operator Certificate yet to run it's own UK registered aircraft.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:37 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Airprox
Their UK operation is simply a company name so far, it doesn't have an Air Operator Certificate yet to run it's own UK registered aircraft.
Could they not have registered the Aircraft with Aer Lingus Regional?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:38 am

They'd realisically have to transfer two aircraft in case one went tech or needs maintainence & they'd need to have enough EI UK crew to run the operation in isolation (whereas currently it can all be covered from Dublin as required). For 3 flights a day this likely just isn't worth it.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:39 am

I don't think this is correct. They have G- reg A321s and A330s out of Manchester. But these aren't useful for a Belfast-London A320 operation!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:40 am

I don't think that's true, according to wikipedia they got their AOC in July 2021. They certainly already have aircraft ( One A321LR and a A330 ), and are actively running flights to the USA. Which I assume would also not be possible, to have EU aircraft flying from the UK to the US. Although potentially the openskies agreement has been extended.

Originally Posted by sammyg901
I don't think this is correct. They have G- reg A321s and A330s out of Manchester. But these aren't useful for a Belfast-London A320 operation!
I agree, it would require transferring another aircraft ( or a couple of aircraft if you wanted to also utilise these on London -> Dublin etc ).

Originally Posted by JD1905
Could they not have registered the Aircraft with Aer Lingus Regional?
I would guess not, the regional company is probably contracted with limitations on the number of seats/size of aircraft they can offer. To ensure that this isn't used to move mainline crew into a regional company ( which generally offer lower pay etc ). The regional company would also likely need to do a bunch of work to be able to fly a new type. While at least Aer Lingus UK is already operating A320 series ( in the form of the A321LR ).
​​​​​​​

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 29, 2022 at 12:48 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by a380fan
I agree, it would require transferring another aircraft ( or a couple of aircraft if you wanted to also utilise these on London -> Dublin etc ).
yes I was just thinking that. They could transfer multiple aircraft and operate these on DUB-UK routes. That way if they've got a shortfall for some reason they could have EI- birds operate those instead and always prioritise the BHD flights

But really you'd just think the most simple option is for BA to operate them all as BA flights!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:49 am

They'd realisically have to transfer two aircraft in case one went tech or needs maintainence & they'd need to have enough EI UK crew to run the operation in isolation (whereas currently it can all be covered from Dublin as required). For 3 flights a day this likely just isn't worth it.
The current Aer Lingus UK operation already has that issue for their US flights, so maybe acceptable?

Crewing could be difficult indeed, although could perhaps be solved. Crew overnights in say LHR, operates a LHR -> DUB in the morning. New crew takes over, and then the plane operates DUB -> LHR, LHR -> BHD etc etc. However this is a bigger operational headache. Or maybe the reason for the wet leasing is just temporary until this is figured out.

yes I was just thinking that. They could transfer multiple aircraft and operate these on DUB-UK routes. That way if they've got a shortfall for some reason they could have EI- birds operate those instead and always prioritise the BHD flights

But really you'd just think the most simple option is for BA to operate them all as BA flights!
Perhaps your last point is the reason, it's not a route that's big enough to worry about Just let BA do it, and be done with it.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 29, 2022 at 12:49 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:55 am

Why don’t BA just run more BA flights? What’s the need for an Aer Lingus service? It’s all AIG anyway. Is it something to do with Aer Lingus keeping LHR slots?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
So they do have a UK AOC itseems, but they do not have rights to run domestic services according to the press when they originally said they would be cancelling the route (before this BA arrangement was setup)
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:21 pm

So they do have a UK AOC itseems, but they do not have rights to run domestic services according to the press when they originally said they would be cancelling the route (before this BA arrangement was setup)
Well Aer Lingus proper does not have those rights, and that is the company currently running those services. But this is hence my curiosity, as potentially they could have run it under Aer Lingus UK. Similar to how RyanAir has RyanAir UK to run UK domestic sectors, and EasyJet has EU operations for running within the EU.

But as was mentioned above, maybe it's just not that valuable a route to make the effort worth while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.