State of lounges

Old Oct 23, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Who would have thought extending all these members status, offering reduced thresholds, and double TPs on BAH bookings would lead to overcrowding
It's a fair point. The last group whose tier was extended were those in June 2022, which means the earliest you will see a drop would be June 2023.

The reduced tier thresholds are until Dec 2022, so again drops will happen Dec 2023.

Corporate travel has yet to pick up to pre-pandemic, so you'd probably find there's a lot more crunch around holiday windows rather than say a Tuesday outside of half-term holidays.
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
What I would really, really like in GF - and in a lot of other lounges as well - it's an area, even just a cart, where you can bring your used plates and glasses without having to wait for someone to collect them.

I don't care if it's premium or not, I want be able to clean my table at any moment, especially when leaving it available or the next passenger.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I also think it's time (sadly) to have designated quiet zones. There are now a lot of people who treat it as a pub, or love having loud conversations on loudspeaker (a pet hate of mine). I have nothing against people wanting to drink and enjoy themselves (though not the loudspeaker calls- they are unforgiveable) but some people do want a bit of peace and quiet, and to work (which is what I always imagined lounges were originally intended for), and that is becoming increasingly difficult to do.
MaxFlyer and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by swisstraveler1988
The one benefit to give BA credit is the access via the First Wing. I know it's technically not part of the lounge, but it is part of the product and makes a massive difference when you have little time and want to avoid trekking through the terminal.
Yes, completely agree with you on this one. The First Wing is brilliant and I agree its part of the product. Bravo to BA on that part!

The drinks are decent, a selection of three champagnes is not nothing, and they have done well with the selection of infused waters for example.
I do miss the table service, but the afternoon tea layout and cheese boards are quite good.
I largely agree with this as well. Though I've called out the wine in some of my comments, I can live with it. The crowding and general state of the furniture, etc. (i.e. the ambiance) is what I find depressing. I also miss the true, proper table service with a much more robust a la carte menu. I believe that is one area that has historically differentiated F lounges from business lounges.

As to the crowds, it's really time of day, morning and afternoon is packed, later in the evening it can be very quiet.
I acknowledge and understand this one, but as mentioned in another reply, unfortunately many of us don't have much control over when we visit this lounge. We come when our plane lands or before it takes off

As to the comparisons, points well made that technically your comparison point would be an LX/LH Senator lounge rather than First Class terminal. If I stack it against a Flagship or a Senator lounge, I'd be probably going with GF (minus the crowds). The SQ lounges aren't even that wonderful in T2, or in Singapore.
This is where I perhaps disagree slightly. I do agree that LH FCT is not a comparison, that is more akin to the CCR. Those really aren't Oneworld type lounges and they have much stricter entry requirements. To me, the proper comparison of the T5 GF is to other Oneworld F Lounges (i.e. JAL, CX, QF, etc.), because frankly, that is what BA themselves classify it as in the OW lounge tool. And in that light, I really don't think T5 GF shines very brightly at all (other than First Wing, as noted)

Flagship/Senator lounges are really business class lounges, with much, much more generous entry requirements. Those are not F lounges. The fact that we are evening comparing the BA GF lounge to them is telling in and of itself.

Regards
Old Oct 24, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
If I could ask for one change in the First Lounge it would be moving the coat hooks so your jacket doesn't have to hang right over the toilet!
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
I am in the t5 b gates lounge at the moment. It is really quite nice and the meat pies are yummy ! Also very quiet
I had them at LGW recently before a Sunday flight and I also found them particularly good
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Lefly
What I would really, really like in GF - and in a lot of other lounges as well - it's an area, even just a cart, where you can bring your used plates and glasses without having to wait for someone to collect them.

I don't care if it's premium or not, I want be able to clean my table at any moment, especially when leaving it available or the next passenger.
I was in the Aspire lounge at Liverpool today (which is really solid - beats the BA GC lounges easily on the food, though drinks aren't as good) and they have a robot which walks round the lounge and you can leave used plates and glasses with it to return to a central area. Was working well.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:52 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Could you perhaps elaborate on which elements of, say, the LHR T5 First Lounge were such a disappointment to you ? There is a limit to how much constructive debate we can have if whole lounges are simply dismissed as lousy without any supporting evidence.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:04 pm

T5C Lounge is a FT fantasy is it not?
We dont honestly expect the lounges to become serene and tranquil when all the covid extensions end? #OnceAZoo
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jon4flight
Ummm... have you at all read the actual thread?

After Oxon Flyer made that comment, many of us took the time to answer their query and provide extensive (and specific feedback) none of which Oxon Flyer bothered to respond to...

Regards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.