Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Chances of F award availability opening up when cabin is ~50% full

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2022, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA

Traveling from ORD-LHR next week on a date with no F availability (currently booked in J, which had plenty of availability). Curious what the odds are of seats opening up in F closer to if cabin loads are at appx. 50%? This is not only according to the seat map, but I have also played around with cash bookings and BA are selling ~50% of the seats as well. I assume it is hard to say but am curious if I should keep looking out for F upgrade availability. Booked on the new 787-10 suites now so not complaining!
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:28 pm

The odds are very low that F seats will open up for Avios redemptions for several reasons. With the reduced size of the F cabin, Avios seats are rare. And BA doesn’t want to fill the F cabin with Avios flyers just because there are empty seats....they would prefer that the seats fly empty than dilute the F experience....and the F revenue.
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The odds are very low that F seats will open up for Avios redemptions for several reasons. With the reduced size of the F cabin, Avios seats are rare. And BA doesn’t want to fill the F cabin with Avios flyers just because there are empty seats....they would prefer that the seats fly empty than dilute the F experience....and the F revenue.
Well then I am grateful I got two a380 F seats on the return!
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
I snagged a F reward LHR to LAX at 22:30 the night before the flight in September. Earlier in the evening I had called the gold line to enquire about availability. The only option at that time was a PE seat. The agent suggested I book that and try for a cash upgrade at checkin. I declined that option (I already had a J seat booked on Aer Lingus). I tried an Hail Mary at 22:30 and low and behold a F award had opened up.
Never stop looking, you never know.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by tinyburst
I snagged a F reward LHR to LAX at 22:30 the night before the flight in September. Earlier in the evening I had called the gold line to enquire about availability. The only option at that time was a PE seat. The agent suggested I book that and try for a cash upgrade at checkin. I declined that option (I already had a J seat booked on Aer Lingus). I tried an Hail Mary at 22:30 and low and behold a F award had opened up.
What did you do with the EI booking (I assume avios) as you normally need to cancel 24 hours before?
Old Oct 19, 2022, 12:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by tinyburst
This is completely right. I am on my most thorough USA F avios seat assessment ever and if there are 3 or more seats available for sale, it is likely that something will be offered at some point in the 7 days leading up to the flight.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 1:08 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
If A class is showing as available within 24 hours of the flight departing, you can sometimes ask if RevMan will open up the seat for Avios.

M
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
If A class is showing as available within 24 hours of the flight departing, you can sometimes ask if RevMan will open up the seat for Avios.

M
Is this done via phone (gold line for example?)
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Definitely possible, currently there are 4 F seats on Tuesday 25/10.
zen100 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If an F award opens up in a half-full cabin, chances are good that J and perhaps PE are getting quite full. So getting somebody to pay in advance for a likely opup is a win for BA...
Old Oct 19, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
If an F award opens up in a half-full cabin, chances are good that J and perhaps PE are getting quite full. So getting somebody to pay in advance for a likely opup is a win for BA...
I think in that situation it’s more likely that cheap online upgrade offers and airport upgrade offers will appear. The Avios seat in a less than half full cabin is probably just a quiet flight in general. This is just my speculation though.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
What did you do with the EI booking (I assume avios) as you normally need to cancel 24 hours before?
I let it go. It was a cash booking that I had made several months in advance. I justified it to myself by calculating how much I would be willing to pay for a J to F check in upgrade. Then the convenience of a direct flight and the Concord Lounge made it an easy decision.

I was actually assigned 1A, but due to seat malfunction moved to 1K at boarding. First time ever (for me) the captain came to my seat and apologized for the seat move. My response was to thank him for his concern, but I am very happy to have a working seat in this cabin. The crew on this flight were superb to the point where I handed out a golden ticket.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

M
I imagine that as a GGL you would have much more success here than me, My Lord. I can see the Silver line asking what A class is.
noFODplease likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.