Best option for cash upgrade?

Old Oct 15, 2022, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 25K (1st timer!)
Best option for cash upgrade?

Hi all. My wife and I are booked World Traveller Plus on BA98 flying Oct. 18 and returning on BA99 on the 29th. Looking for the best upgrade fare available but current offer is a bit over $5k for both passengers on both legs. That's just not happening. BA98 shows on ExpertFlyer as J9 C7 D6 R5 I4 and BA99 shows J9 C9 D9 R9 I9. Anyone know what the chances are at getting a much better upgrade offer closer to the inbound flight date?

I have read the AUP thread and that seems the most likely option but anyone know the chances of an upgrade being offered at less than $999 each leg/ per person? I can't find any recent data in the AUP thread for this route.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 7:38 am

I expect a reason for the high upgrade fare quote is the closeness to departure ruling out advance purchase fares in cw. AUP is a fair option to try, and the price limit you quote doesn't sound out of the ballpark. Best of luck
Old Oct 15, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC
You'll almost certainly get a much better offer at the airport. Can't promise anything but AUPs for shrt TATL flights are rare over $1000. YOu're more likely to not get one than you are to see one above that I'd guess. The ideal situation for you would be an oversold cabin in WTP. In that case, they are more likely to give the best offers in order to entice you into paying for the upgrade. If they don't fill the Club seats (and empty out some WTP seats) then they'll have to opup people from WTP for free. Looking at BA 98 2 days from now, it doesn't appear to be massively oversold in any cabin. Obviously no one in their right mind would pay 5k for this upgrade. All you can do now is wait until the airport and ask, if you're happy with the offer then take it. Also maybe a chance you'll get an improved offer in app.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichieMc
You'll almost certainly get a much better offer at the airport. Can't promise anything but AUPs for shrt TATL flights are rare over $1000. YOu're more likely to not get one than you are to see one above that I'd guess. The ideal situation for you would be an oversold cabin in WTP. In that case, they are more likely to give the best offers in order to entice you into paying for the upgrade. If they don't fill the Club seats (and empty out some WTP seats) then they'll have to opup people from WTP for free. Looking at BA 98 2 days from now, it doesn't appear to be massively oversold in any cabin. Obviously no one in their right mind would pay 5k for this upgrade. All you can do now is wait until the airport and ask, if you're happy with the offer then take it. Also maybe a chance you'll get an improved offer in app.
Thanks! I'm constantly checking the app for new offers but nothing so far. Will I be presented with the AUP offer when I'm checking in online or do I need to check at the desk when I arrive at the airport?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC
I wouldnt waste too much time checking more than once or twice a day. You might get one at check in, although in my own experience, there are relatively rare. Given the way the loads look, youll almost certainly get one at the airport (you have to ask). And if I were a betting man, Id put a few bob on it being below $1000. Good luck. Were all pulling for you!!
Old Oct 15, 2022, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichieMc
I wouldnt waste too much time checking more than once or twice a day. You might get one at check in, although in my own experience, there are relatively rare. Given the way the loads look, youll almost certainly get one at the airport (you have to ask). And if I were a betting man, Id put a few bob on it being below $1000. Good luck. Were all pulling for you!!
Thanks for the advice. Fingers crossed I can get a decent offer at the counter!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.