JFK T7 sh*t show

Old Oct 14, 2022, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
JFK T7 sh*t show

Just arrived on BA113. The terminal is full to capacity so not allowed to disembark for 20 mins and the immigration line is 4+ hours. Far worse than anything I experienced at LHR this year and obviously a CBP issue rather than a BA one. But there is no way Id take this flight again.
Yoshi212 and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 8:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
It sounds bad and I'm sure it was quite unpleasant but to rule out an entire airport because of one bad day seems like an over-reaction. Or are you just limiting your restriction to the BA113? All airports have occasional bad days. If you travel a lot, I'd recommend Global Entry which should ease the pain.
wrp96, GGL Flyer, Yoshi212 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 8:39 pm

Not long until the sh*t show as you put it closes its doors for good. I was first off the 2273 from Gatwick the other week and made it down to immigration as the last passengers off 115 from Heathrow were being processed. We'd landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule and had taken a leisurely taxi over to T8 and back before parking at our gate. They'd arrived on time (scheduled 30 mins ahead of 2273). T7 is operating above capacity and arrivals strategically scheduled to avoid bottle necks. Delays and/or early arrivals tend to exacerbate the problem hence why you were asked to remain on board for a while after landing. Call me bourgeois but I'd sooner be sat in my seat in relative comfort than fighting my way through a myriad of queueing systems. Especially if flights are busy.... which most seem to be at the moment. I did manage to take a look back as I was leaving the immigration booth and I noticed the queue which was practically non existent as I arrived was now extending back to the ramp that leads down into the tensa barriers. It really doesn't take much more than 1 or 2 flights for it to busy up, especially when not all the border posts are manned (not BA's fault or remit either) I can't imagine the sh*t show getting better when things move to T8 either.... there's just going to be more passengers off more flights to jostle with and probably the same amount of delightful CBP staff processing things.... I can't wait.
mikeyfly and Yoshi212 like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Oct 14, 2022 at 8:45 pm
Old Oct 14, 2022, 8:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
JFK is probably my most frequent US entry point. Perhaps I've just been lucky or perhaps it's Global Entry but I can't recall any recent problems.
Gastrocnemius and msm2000uk like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
It looks like BA113 arrived 16 minutes early which may provide a reason for the 20 minute delay to disembark considering the scheduling of arrivals referred to by 1Aturnleft above.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
JFK is probably my most frequent US entry point. Perhaps I've just been lucky or perhaps it's Global Entry but I can't recall any recent problems.
Global Entry will definitely keep you in a bubble of unawareness 😄
I haven't found justification yet to sign up othernthan TBIT at LAX which I'll happily avoid at all costs. Now that really is a sh*t show when you don't have Global Entry.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I believe that was one of Liz Truss other main campaign promises, to fix those long immigration lines at T7....
TTmex, gemcan83 and EJRofChicago like this.

Last edited by nk15; Oct 14, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Old Oct 15, 2022, 12:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Just arrived on BA113. The terminal is full to capacity so not allowed to disembark for 20 mins and the immigration line is 4+ hours.
Help me remember when BA moves to T8?

Also, I'm pretty envious of people that can use GE. I would have enrolled even if I fly to US just around 5 times per year, but, alas, my passport is not among the few eligible.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Yesterday the BA115 was delayed, so that arrived on stand at 6.30pm, the BA113 was early (arrived at 7pm) and the Gatwick flight arrived on time at 5.50pm, so 3 x full B777s within an hour (plus whatever other International arrivals from other T7 airlines touched down) = a mess with immigration who never have enough staff on!

A few years ago the majority of U.S. airports adopted machines (like GE ones) that could be used by ESTA (non-GE) pax - but then they all disappeared, anybody have insight into what happened with that process which made most U.S. immigration lines almost bearable!

Pilot37
Old Oct 15, 2022, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
I usually try to avoid JFK unless the fares are particularly good (i.e. cheap) - I have GE, but have been known to be stuck on the plane waiting to get off at the tail end of the queue - only once you get off the plane can you do the DYKWIA and glide (push) past the queue to the GE kiosks.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'll miss the T7 CCR and the nice premium BA check in area, but not much else (and that part of the experience already deteriorated when they changed the fast track security from an entirely separate lane to the far left of the terminal going into the CCR entrance to just a lane alongside the regular ones).

For what it's worth, the disembarkation disasters used to be even worse when CX were using T7, on one BA flight in particular, it happened quite regularly that you'd indeed be stuck onboard for a very long time because the other BA flight arriving before and the CX one already meant queues that went beyond the stairs/slide areas of immigration. Nowaday, it only happens when there is the "wrong" combination of early and late arrivals...
Radiation Station and Markie like this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 2:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pilot37
A few years ago the majority of U.S. airports adopted machines (like GE ones) that could be used by ESTA (non-GE) pax - but then they all disappeared, anybody have insight into what happened with that process which made most U.S. immigration lines almost bearable!
The machinery has been changed a number of times across the USA. They make look the same but the computer side has been through about 4 or 5 refreshes over the last 6 years. Each refresh costs money and is based on that refresh lasting x years (even if that x is unsustainable). As soon as the decision was taken that T7 was going to be demolished then all inward investment stopped, and probably part of the problem now is that you wouldn't recruit any resources into T7, including staff resources, if you could possibly avoid it.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I often find "well timed" flights into the major US hubs often lead to a minimum 45 minute wait at CBP, but it's not unusual to wait 2-3 hours - I had several misconnects in the past Given the choice, I'll take a 3 hour connection in DUB to use preclearance and walk off as a US domestic passenger, it's just a shame the LHR-DUB and DUB-USA schedules still aren't lined up nicely and running the way they did pre covid.

But, EI Biz is a very comfortable alternative to BA into JFK, and AA into CLT/PHL/ORD can be a real time saver.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 2:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Pilot37
This is a list of airports that still have APC terminals :-

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/apc

It was good while it lasted
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:04 am

If you have a valid citizenship Ill never understand why you dont get GE. A lot/most posters seem to refer to Business or First, which makes the 5 year cost of GE an irrelevance. The only downside is having to arrange an interview, which can be problematic. I was fortunate enough to do mine when Grosvenor Sq. was an option. When renewal came I did it before the old GE expired and was approved without need a further interview. As a result of GE Ive had clearances where Ive been through in seconds. The new machines recognise you, spit the voucher out and assuming there is no queue to present it to the Border Officer youre gone.

I cant speak for T7 as in last year or so have used AA to get food and service, (pulls pin and retreats).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.