Wiki Posts
Search

Finding out a FA name?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2022, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Finding out a FA name?

I recently flew the BA884 service from LHR to OTP in “J”. I actually hesitate to use the quotation marks this time, however, as one of the FA was incredible.

I was not feeling great. Between my 5 previous segments (all the way from BLI to LHR) and accompanying dehydration, and my cancer treatments and their impact on my health, I felt terrible. I didn’t say anything but somehow she intuited how awful I felt.

Without asking, she:

- Brought me ibuprofen and paracetamol.
- Conjured up a comfortable blanket (I imagine a staff member’s).
- Removed the center divider while I used the bathroom.
- Left me two waters and a note encouraging me to lie down when I returned to my seat.
- VERY gently woke me when we were close to OTP.

Now, Business wasn’t super full but still - nothing in today’s typical Business service obligated her to do any of this without my prompting. It honestly was more meaningful service to me, given my state, than what I received when I was lucky enough to fly the Concorde and Etihad’s Residence.

With all of that out of the way, I have two major questions:

1. How do I best get her details in order to make an official acknowledgment of her incredible service?
2. What can I do, as an AA FF, to make sure BA recognizes her and is there anything I can do as an individual to stay thank you (such as a gift or something similar)?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Heartwarming to read

You likely won’t be able to get her private details, but definitely complete this https://www.britishairways.com/trave...er_compliments
m8_rotate, AJA_ and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
There's also ba.com/welldone
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
To be clear you don’t need to know her name. Just write to Ba in any of the ways mentioned above describing the inflight manager’s/senior cabin crew behaviour and your flight details and they will be able to identify her easily internally.

i also sincerely hope you’ll win that fight against this nasty disease and be well again soon.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is quite a remarkable encounter really. It certainly shows how the right cabin crew can change an unforgettable journey for the wrong reasons into an unforgettable journey for the right reasons.

In terms of identifying this crew member - I would be almost certain this was the Inflight Lead (IFL) or possibly an Inflight Manager (IFM) who would be the senior cabin crew member on the service. They would be the ones leading the service in Club Europe and if it wasn't so busy in CE they would often be doing most of the work. They have silver in their cravats (or ties in the case of male crew), whereas red is the more dominant colour if they were not IFL/IFM. Either way with the exact date and flight number, BA would be able to identify the crew member.

For various reasons, I think a gift idea isn't going to work, though I can appreciate the reasons why you would want to do this. The nearest alternative is to give whatever money you would have spent on chocolates (or whatever) to Flying Start, Dreamflight, or another well known charity. Then in your communication to BA you would make that clear that this was being done as a thank you (without specifying the amount). My take on that is that it would be just as effective, perhaps more so.

Now you have seen the links above, and they are absolutely the appropriate channels. But I'm wondering, as this is above and beyond, whether a real letter to the Chief Customer Officer at BA's headquarters would be appropriate. Obviously I'd be happy to print off and post a letter if you are not UK based. His name is Calum Laming, and he started his aviation career as cabin crew over 20 years ago at a BA subsidiary in Stansted, so he would at least understand the story here.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is quite a remarkable encounter really. It certainly shows how the right cabin crew can change an unforgettable journey for the wrong reasons into an unforgettable journey for the right reasons.

In terms of identifying this crew member - I would be almost certain this was the Inflight Lead (IFL) or possibly an Inflight Manager (IFM) who would be the senior cabin crew member on the service. They would be the ones leading the service in Club Europe and if it wasn't so busy in CE they would often be doing most of the work. They have silver in their cravats (or ties in the case of male crew), whereas red is the more dominant colour if they were not IFL/IFM. Either way with the exact date and flight number, BA would be able to identify the crew member.

For various reasons, I think a gift idea isn't going to work, though I can appreciate the reasons why you would want to do this. The nearest alternative is to give whatever money you would have spent on chocolates (or whatever) to Flying Start, Dreamflight, or another well known charity. Then in your communication to BA you would make that clear that this was being done as a thank you (without specifying the amount). My take on that is that it would be just as effective, perhaps more so.

Now you have seen the links above, and they are absolutely the appropriate channels. But I'm wondering, as this is above and beyond, whether a real letter to the Chief Customer Officer at BA's headquarters would be appropriate. Obviously I'd be happy to print off and post a letter if you are not UK based. His name is Calum Laming, and he started his aviation career as cabin crew over 20 years ago at a BA subsidiary in Stansted, so he would at least understand the story here.
I like this last idea. I’ll fire it off during my layover in Heathrow today - appreciate everyone’s very quick responses and thoughtful suggestions.
BorisBrownBear and HIDDY like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.